[How To] Activate Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center RTM

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by NoOne2000, Aug 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rrohela

rrohela MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
  2. fretless

fretless MDL Novice

Oct 11, 2012
    #522 fretless, Sep 7, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
    i have a question:
    i have Italian copy of W8 Pro with Media Center legit activated.
    on 17 october,i can download the update on Windows Store as i've read over Microsoft forums?
    for people like me in no hurry to upgrade,there will be an automatic update or available in Windows Store for those like me who have the version with media Center?

3. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    Looks like that it will be exactly this way. When the Redmond server is open for the new store apps and its updates, you should receive data

4. Boops

Boops MDL Addicted

Jan 5, 2008
    It is sufficient to use only the file data.dat?, It is not necessary to use the file tokens.dat?

If the file is used only data.dat, can activate other PCs with other keys?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    Using a data.dat from another person's activation is Ill-Advised.
    It contains information regarding the first person's activation and could invalidate you both if MS put in place some duplicity rules.

6. NABAKUMAR

NABAKUMAR MDL Member

Sep 10, 2012
    You can get it from my signature. Download the manual and you'll get the link there...

7. The_GEE_Team

The_GEE_Team MDL Junior Member

Aug 8, 2012
    hi guys, i have been following this thread for some days now and i havent been able to go through all the comments people have replied to this post in respect to activating windows 8.1, well my question is that i wanna do a clean installation of windows 8.1 pro on my pc. is there anyone i can activate it or i have to wait? Thanks

8. kelorgo

kelorgo MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2012
    There are several solutions available to you already:

1) If you have a legitimate Windows 8 Pro retail key, that will activate Windows 8.1 Pro without any problem (both online and over the phone).

2) If you have a WMC upgrade key, there are ways to install Windows 8.1 Pro with WMC directly, and make it accept the WMC upgrade key. It may then activate online, and will definitely do so over the phone.

3) Similar to 2) above, if you have a WMC upgrade key, then you can install Windows 8.1 Pro with a default key, upgrade it to WMC with a default key, and then there are methods to make the resulting installation accept your WMC upgrade key.

4) If you make a backup of your activation in Windows 8, some people are reporting success with restoring that activation in Windows 8.1, without the need to reactivate. This is however only true for non-KMS based activation. Also, the methods for this are not considered universally reliable.

9. The_GEE_Team

The_GEE_Team MDL Junior Member

Aug 8, 2012
    Alright thanks very much but i was trying to use the WMC upgrade key to activate but got stacked to where to download and replace the data.dat file then i can call via skype to activate. i was waiting to see if it could activate online after insert and upgrading with the WMC keys provided above but it didnt. I wanted to know where i can get the data.dat file to download. or am suggesting if i install windows 8 activate it and then get the data.dat file from my windows 8 and then upgrade or (do a fresh installation of windows 8.1) will i be able to use that data.dat (windows 8 activated) file to activate windows 8.1 with the WMC keys. thanks...

10. blunden

blunden MDL Novice

Mar 5, 2009
    So even users with legit Windows 8 Pro retail keys have to go through hoops to active WMC on a clean install of Windows 8.1?

11. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    as far as installation goes, yes. Win8 retail keys will not install 8.1, but will activate.

12. phrunt

phrunt MDL Addicted

May 1, 2007
    I tried this process but I tried to use a media center promo key that had never been activated before, microsoft indicated the key was invalid and wouldn't activate it. It seems its only good if you've previously activated your copy.

13. naivebor

naivebor MDL Novice

Aug 30, 2013

I think you need a microphone plug in in order to accept your dial, that's my observation :)

14. Nicky31

Nicky31 MDL Member

Aug 21, 2013
    #535 Nicky31, Sep 14, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
    I'm just waiting for a KMS to come out plus you get 100 days free and on top of this saves any messing about in all fairness .. Just so you know people if you go down this route don't sign in with your email account or you will get the annoying watermark coming up telling you to activate ..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. blunden

blunden MDL Novice

Mar 5, 2009
    It's as they stated when the promo was running then. It clearly said you had to activate it before a certain date for it to be valid.

16. bojazz

bojazz MDL Novice

Nov 15, 2009
    thanks, it works great follow the step ...cheers mate =D but havent figure it out how to restore back the office2O13license

17. craftbrewer

craftbrewer MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    #538 craftbrewer, Sep 15, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
    My system was a KMS pro activated Windows 8, with free upgrade key to WMC that I just got in with the old data.dat swap method.

Well upgraded my machine to 8.1, and can confirm that the phone activation still works a treat

Fully activated.

18. Majestic

Majestic MDL Junior Member

Aug 3, 2008
    Need guidance on phone activation.

I have error 0x80072EE7

1) Do I use the same computer for phone activation, in which case I will have to go on line, or

2) Use another computer for the phone activation.

If preference is for (2), after obtaining the confirmation ID, how do I input the confirmation ID to the unactivated computer.
    Is it run slui.exe 4?

19. nicesoni_ash

nicesoni_ash MDL Novice

Nov 21, 2008
    I don't know about this error but yes, you need to run slui 4 to input confirmation ID however different PC will have different code to obtain confirmation ID and may not work on your main PC. That's what I think should happen logically. I never tried it though.