[How To] Activate Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center RTM

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by NoOne2000, Aug 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Majestic

Majestic MDL Junior Member

Aug 3, 2008
    Yes, I thought as well it is only logical to use the unactivated computer to run Slui.exe.
    It was the guide to disconnect from the internet throughout that confused me.:confused:

Thanks for the reply.:biggrin:

2. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    You don't need to disconnect from the internet at all.
    Running SLUI 3 will change keys with the GUI
    Running SLUI 4 will bring up the phone activation window.

There's no need to play with your internet connection.

3. cardex88

cardex88 MDL Novice

Sep 24, 2012
    nice guide.

i'll try it after done with making the win 8.1 AOI

4. shinji

shinji MDL Novice

Sep 27, 2009
    I used the first key on the op post then was able to use my Windows 8 and Windows 8 MCE keys after just fine. Thanks.

P.S. - Make sure you use your original Windows 8 key first! The MCE key is an addon key. In the end you should see "Windows 8.1 with Media Center". If you have Windows 8 Pro key then it will have Pro right after the 8.1 bit.

5. Majestic

Majestic MDL Junior Member

Aug 3, 2008
    Okie noted.

6. Boops

Boops MDL Addicted

Jan 5, 2008
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. secured2k

secured2k MDL Novice

Feb 4, 2011
    Chiming in...
    Using the temporary keys in the first post worked for me. After a restart, I used one of my WMC keys from Microsoft and activated successfully over the phone.

8. RedSun

RedSun MDL Novice

Sep 16, 2013
    I activated my 8.1 Pro and added the WMC pack. Now I can't activate the WMC. Can I reset it to 8.1 pro and input my activated codes? Or I'll have to do a clean 8.1 pro install? I still keep the activation codes and they work well.

I'm sure if I can make 8.1 pro w/ WMC to plain 8.1 pro, the WMC would stop working, right?

9. LQQL

LQQL MDL Addicted

Apr 21, 2009
    Ofc. In plain Win 8.1 PRO is no WMC at all.

10. kelorgo

kelorgo MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2012
    You have to reinstall, it's not possible to "downgrade" the WMC feature, once enabled.

11. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    I believe that even using the registry edit to change ntversion stuff would probably not properly keep any program files and settings, right?
    Sorry, I really shouldn't chime in with such an empty speculation, but you always seem to be good about actually testing things rather than talking out your ass like a lot of us do :p

I was wondering if you had thoughts on the regedit up/down stuff

12. mrzoidberg

mrzoidberg MDL Novice

Sep 16, 2013
    Hi guys,
    Trying to use this method. I also have now W8 + free WMC key upgraded to Windows 8.1 Pro Preview with Media Center. From the start post and other posts I didn't get where should I look for data.dat. Is it ok to use it from my current system?
    Thanks for any info.

13. RedSun

RedSun MDL Novice

Sep 16, 2013
    I gave up on the 8.1 pro | WMC. It is not worth the effort to figure out how my WMC key would not work. There are so many other media players that I can use in place of WMC. I put in my WMC and some of my friends' WMC keys and none of them worked.

14. LQQL

LQQL MDL Addicted

Apr 21, 2009
    Free giveaway WMC keys had to be used until a specific date. Otherwise they went useless and can't activate anymore. So, that's why.

15. mxn81

mxn81 MDL Novice

Sep 13, 2011
    help me to activate windows 8.1, unable to active with pasetbin keys

16. deltajose

deltajose MDL Novice

Aug 15, 2009
    Hello

Your keys are blocked yesterday, it works at 5 P.M. and at 8 P.M. the in phone tell me "your keys are not valid....).. :eek:

I 've tryed many keys (find on Internet) same result ... can you help me..;)

THANKS ....
    nice place to exchange...

17. kelorgo

kelorgo MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2012
    There is the problem. Random keys on the Internet get blocked very quickly.

18. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    This is not a warez forum. Please stop talking about finding other people's keys on the internet.

19. KPbICMAH

KPbICMAH MDL Novice

Nov 2, 2011
    Followed your guide to the letter: Did a clean install of 8.1 Pro x64 with provided key, upgraded to WMC successfully, downloaded and copied data.dat file. However, when I try to add my very own and personal :) 'MS promo' key for WMC, I get error 0xC004F601 and Win 8.1 complains the key doesn't work, try another key. This key was initially activated before Jan 31 deadline; later I used it when I reinstalled Win8 (going from x86 to x64 after a memory upgrade), and it also worked. Now it doesn't work with the guide you provided.

I did search around the Web and found two 'data.dat' files, one just 36K, the other is 320K, neither works. I also tried my own data.dat from Win 8.1 preview, which didn't help either. Then I also used another free WMC key, which has not been activated by Jan 31 - same problem.

Is there any specific 'data.dat' that I should be looking for?