How to add some free space from E partition to system partition?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Edmund83, May 28, 2014.

1. Edmund83

Edmund83 MDL Novice

May 28, 2014
    Recently, I have found that my E partition is nearly empty and has about 51GB of free space. But, the system partition has only about 10GB left. So, I think it is necessary to add some free space from E partition to system partition. But, I don’t know what I should do. Do you know how to do? Any solution could be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Not sure you could do it with Windows Partition Manager. Maybe you've to muse a 3. party apps like EaseUS Partition Manager etc.!

Delete the E Partition first. If you also has an D partition on the same drive after the C (system) Partition, you may need to move that partition first to get the now free and unallocated space directly attached between C and D Partition. Now you could extend the C Partion to use the unallocated space.

Again, AFAIK that isn't possible in Windows own Partitioning Tool.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. FaiKee

FaiKee Misinformation spreader

Jul 24, 2009
    If you shrink E: , the new unallocated space will be at the end of E:. i.e. E: is between C: and "unallocated space", C: cannot be extended. :D

4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    That's correct: shrinking will not work! You'll have to delete that whole partition!

C could be extended only on unallocated space.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. f33nix

f33nix MDL Member

Apr 4, 2012
    If you took a picture of your hard drive(s) in disk management area that would help.
    We cannot assume that your E: partition is on the same hard drive.

Depending on the layout you could delete the E: partition and then expand the C: (system?) drive to fill this space. If your partition layout is odd then you may need a 3rd party utility to do this.
    As always you should have a FULL backup of your important files before attempting such an operation (99.99% of the time you are fine, just a rare chance you could loose the partition tables)

6. Haleydu002

Haleydu002 MDL Novice

May 29, 2014
    Yeah, in your case, since the free space from E partition is not adjacent to system partition, the “extend” option in Disk Management often cannot be used. In this moment, you need to take chances with some partition resizing tools. There are many similar programs online. Just search one over the internet. One more thing, remember to make data backups well in advance. Read more detailed information here: partition-magic-server-2003.blogspot.com/2013/11/resize-server-2003-partition-free.html