How to change power settings for only 1 disk?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by mephistopoa, Oct 10, 2010.

1. mephistopoa

mephistopoa MDL Novice

Aug 22, 2009
    Hi there,

I'm trying to figure out a way to set the power settings in Windows 7 for only one specific disk. In the current way, I can set up a time for all the disks to turn off after idle, but so far this option is global, there is no such a option to change the power settings for individual drives so far I know.

Do you guys have any tip regarding this issue? Can I use other another method to set up the shutdown when idle after a certain amount of minutes for only one disk?

Thank you!

2. dabits

dabits Guest

Not that I know of, I've been thinking about something like that too ... but decided to just leave them all running.
    What you can do is make sure the individual drive you want to put to sleep is not in use.
    Don't do anything like putting the pagefile on it, just don't use it and it will shutdown.
    There's your simple and obvious answer, make sure the disk it not in use by anything, and it will shutdown.

3. mephistopoa

mephistopoa MDL Novice

Aug 22, 2009
    The disks are used just for large storage, so they are not used often, but one of the disks I use regularly and then when I need to access something, it needs to power up and this takes a long time... but I need the others to sleep as they spent 99% of the time idle, so I set it to 30 minutes at the moment, but it still far from ideal

thanks anyway

4. thavmym

thavmym MDL Junior Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Actual problem for me but no answers...
    I have 2 SSD drives for OS and 4 conventional HDDs. 3 of them are used for file storage and accessed rarely so I'd like to spin them off automatically to extend lifespan and remove excess noise and vibration. Only 1 HDD of 4 is used frequently.

So is there any way to spin down only the drives I choose?

5. thavmym

Jul 20, 2009
    Thanks for answer.
    It's a pity that Microsoft didn't implement this feature, because nowadays the majority of users do have 2 or more drives.

6. thavmym

Jul 20, 2009
    Physically removing HDDs is not convenient. All theses drive contain music and video which is shared between the members of my family.
    But I'm sure it's not difficult to make a little application which will monitor drive activity and spin them down when HDDs are not active for the desired period of time.
    Unfortunately I have no experience in programming.