[HOW TO] Change your Windows 8 Bootlogo

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Krutonium, Aug 27, 2013.

1. dark9k

dark9k MDL Novice

Dec 1, 2010
    Step 1: card error --> Click Cancel ---> Step 2: smart card error --> Click
    Cancel ----> Step 3: Click Yes ----> Done !

Try Signing :)

2. DJ-Lucas

DJ-Lucas MDL Novice

Nov 7, 2013
    Thanks ill give it a try

3. zlmitchell

zlmitchell MDL Novice

Nov 14, 2013
    Sooooo... i am as frustrated as the rest of us. I have been waiting for a way to do this for a long time. I have found every available copy of Restorator 2007 and 2009 and all give me the same error while trying to sign my dll's... If i sign the dll that was posted on the forums that works, or my original bootres.dll thats fine too, but once its gone through Restorator... its janked up. Someone please assist me in PM i would be happy to do a favor in return.

Anyway here is my contribution...

Instead of injecting the files back into 7-zip causing the wim to become 500+kb and then the dll huge as well you should be making the WIM yourself and compressing it... its really simple!

Download imagex
    You can find this utility in the windows ADK (microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30652) or AIK if you are on windows 7. In the ADK all you need is the Deployment tools (36MB's) then under this directory
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.0\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Deployment Tools\amd64\DISM
    you will find imagex.exe

you can pull it out and use this command in an elevated command prompt

imagex.exe /capture <PATH TO FOLDER WITH IMAGES ONLY> <PATH TO NAMED WIM DESTINATION> "Boot Resource WIM" /compress maximum /boot

Example:
    imagex.exe /capture C:\Bootlogo\Logo C:\Bootlogo\image.wim "Boot Resource WIM" /compress maximum /boot

4. mistavee

mistavee MDL Novice

Dec 5, 2013
    Can you guys help me with a problem ?
    When i do step 8 , I get this message when i enter command in command prompt : "Signer" is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
    How i can solve it ?

5. Krutonium

Krutonium MDL Senior Member

Aug 27, 2013
    Make sure your in the folder with signer in it, and make sure that it's spelled correctly!

6. slawo

slawo MDL Novice

Dec 14, 2013
    Hi everyone

Im trying to make a tardis logo. As far as I can tell I did everything right.

The images are same size/bit depth / name;
    I started in normal mode. ( win 8.1 64bit )
    When I first ran signer I got the smart card poopup too so I clicked cancel and havent seen it since then. Wen I tryed to run signer in normal mode I got an unexpected finish error and nothing hapenned.
    So I tryed in simple mode too. it run without an error, but in the video it prints "signed bootres.dll" which didnt happen to me. The resulting bootres doesnt work ofc.

Can somebody give me a hint as to what to do?

7. Krutonium

Krutonium MDL Senior Member

Aug 27, 2013

Send me your images and ill give it a shot. (BAD WOLF)

8. SM03

SM03 MDL Expert

Dec 16, 2012
    Is this possible in latest Windows 10 as well? @Krutonium