How to CLONE one WTG drive to another ?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by digitalbear, Feb 27, 2015.

1. digitalbear

digitalbear MDL Member

Oct 23, 2012
    #1 digitalbear, Feb 27, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
    Please help me,

Yes I know I can just build a another WGT installation, but then have to redo all the drivers, applications and settings all over again.

Thank You

2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    You could do that using and 3.party apps like HDClone. Keep in mind that the Target HDD need at least the same size as the Source HDD!

Next time you like to create an WTG drive, you could use WinToUSB (min. Version 2.0) for to create one after you'd done the complete install on your desktop or Laptop because that apps will create an clone of your installation to an USB Drive as kind WinToGo, whit the same activated status as the Master!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. digitalbear

digitalbear MDL Member

Oct 23, 2012
    Hi pisthai,

Yes I'm actually using WintoUsb - very good little program :)

I'm actually trying to make a backup image with aomei backupper pro, but restoring it brings up BSOD :(

My source installation is actually on a 60GB ssd and I tried to restore the aomei image to a 1TB WDC drive without success.

What I'm trying now is to create wtg with wintousb and then just overwrite the partition from the aomei image.

4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    For to create an Backup Image, you could use HDClone as well. HDClone has a lot features regarding Cloning and Image creation and I use that apps for years already with 0 problems.

To use WinToUSB to overwrite an other image, would hardly work! I wouldn't use to do that! WinToUSB is excellent to create an WTG or PE drive and that works very well. Leave it by just that and use HDClone for the other way! Aomei is an Backup tool and not an cloning tool!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. digitalbear

digitalbear MDL Member

Oct 23, 2012
    Ok I'm going to try HD Clone and will let you know.

Thanks pisthai

6. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
  7. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    Another option for you, backup your WTG to a VHD file, move the VHD to the USB drive, then boot from the VHD.
    Expand the VHD as necessary once its working.

Both my WTG's (Windows 8 and Windows 10) run from VHD's. Its makes backing up and repairing very easy. ;)

8. digitalbear

digitalbear MDL Member

Oct 23, 2012
    Thank you all - I have many ways to test now and see what works best for me :)