How to configure a Windows 7 install disk?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by JBenal, Dec 20, 2009.

1. JBenal

JBenal MDL Addicted

Nov 2, 2009
    I know there are a few threads that mention this - maybe more than a few - but I haven't had much luck finding what I'm looking for. If you can point me to a thread or give me some advice I'd appreciate it.

I would like to make an unattended install disk with Windows 7 x86 only, OEM install, activated, ideally with some 3rd party applications added to the install. My hope is that I can have a USB stick with Windows 7 just the way I want it that will install with activation on my computer that has SLIC 2.1. What's the best way to do this and will the installer be able to add my 3rd party applications - I mean install them? Thanks.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. heliosys

heliosys MDL Novice

Jul 12, 2009
    Are going to deploy your installer on multiple computers? If not, don't bother. Not worth the effort, to create and debug, for you computer alone. After installation, and configuration, just use windows built in backup, to create system image, or third party software, true image, ghost.

3. JBenal

JBenal MDL Addicted

Nov 2, 2009
    It is basically for one machine. If I built the custom disk I'm thinking of it wouldn't work on the other computers in the house, because they are all different makes and models. I just thought it would be a nice thing to try and to have handy. I did find some good threads on building an unattended install disk, but none mentioned anything about including 3rd party apps in them. That would be the real attraction to be able to do.

I do image my C drive every day using Macrium Reflect. It's a great program. I make the image because it's way faster and easier than backing up individual files/directories, believe it or not. It takes about 20 minutes create a 45 gig image. But you can't just copy installed programs from the image to the newly installed OS - and when I reinstall I want it to be clean, not just pasting the disk image onto a bare metal drive.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. heliosys

heliosys MDL Novice

Jul 12, 2009
    For your information from vista onwards, Ms installer is dumping a disk image onto your computer, thus by your definition it's not clean, looks like xp or some unix variance is your only choice.

Maybe i did not make myself clear enough in the earlier post, install windows 7, install drivers, install 3rd party application, activating windows, image your disk and keep that disk image. When you need to reinstall, dump back that image, how different is it when compare to writing a script to automate that install, I'm referring to the end result.

5. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    #5 911medic, Dec 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    You can use the setupcomplete.cmd script to call silent installs of you programs...You need to make the $OEM$ folder then add it to the sources directory.

The setupcomplete.cmd is in the $OEM$-->$$-->SETUP-->SCRIPTS directory..

Could look something like this..
    Code:
    @echo off
    REM         Host file 

set file=%SystemRoot%/System32/drivers/etc/hosts
    echo
    echo
    echo 127.0.0.1localhost >> %file%

REM         Installation

Regedit /S "%SystemRoot%\Setup\SCRIPTS\OEM.reg"

call "%SystemRoot%\Setup\SCRIPTS\KeyInstall.cmd"

exit

With the keyinstall.cmd, OEM.reg, and additional programs run from the KeyInstall.cmd in the same folder..

This is simple and works for any computer you install to..no imaging here....:cool::)

6. JBenal

JBenal MDL Addicted

Nov 2, 2009
    Thanks for the excellent suggestions. Heliosys, I like the idea of imagining a new install and saving it for later use. I can keep that image on an external drive. Also, 911medic thanks for the help installing 3rd party apps.

7. heliosys

heliosys MDL Novice

Jul 12, 2009
    What 911medic have suggest is useful, however for single computer deployment, i would not recommend it, after writing up the script, there's testing , it just not worth the effort, that's why in my first post i have ask you to image.

911medic here something for you, hope you can help me with :)
    On my thinkpad's recovery, first boot it will do partitioning, cloning over of OS, restart to audit mode, running unattended install script, i believe it's detecting hardware, installing the correct drivers and application, with the correct language, lastly it boots to booting to oobe, where I input information and starting windows. I see unattended script usefulness, if you are using the same installer on different machine, beyond that i don't see how it's superior to a pure sysprep imaging deployment. My windows xp sysprep deployment, will finish at most in 30min, and if the same thing is done using install with unattended script, it's going to take hours, some how the installer camp felt that their method is superior, though mine have a time advantage, as an unattended script user care to share the reason? I understand that time advantage i have diminish form vista onwards.

8. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Just another option..I think each has its benefits. The unattended script is easy for individuals to deploy without much knowledge of the WIM and other complicated deployments. I dont see myself as a camper..:D

I just offered help and the sysprep is well beyond what the OP was looking for IMO..basically K.I.S.S.:cool::cool:

If he can manage an image, some will reinstall in a matter of minutes (less than 10) on the same computer or similar hardware. For using on different setups, I like the scripts. They are also very easy to change quickly..But testing can be a B****..VM is a must in any case.

9. el6

el6 MDL Novice

Jan 31, 2008
    #9 el6, Dec 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  10. JBenal

JBenal MDL Addicted

Nov 2, 2009
  11. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
  12. aroenai

aroenai MDL Novice

Sep 21, 2009
    You don't need to type any commands, when I did it a nice little gui window opened up each time I restarted the machine. There's a screenshot of it in that first link sebus posted.

13. JBenal

JBenal MDL Addicted

Nov 2, 2009
    #15 JBenal, Dec 22, 2009
    (OP)
  14. JBenal

JBenal MDL Addicted

Nov 2, 2009
    By the way, I do also plan to use Ping to image the newly installed OS and save that on external media for future use.

15. JBenal

JBenal MDL Addicted

Nov 2, 2009
  16. calpol

calpol MDL Junior Member

Dec 5, 2009
    Hi all,

Can anyone tell me how to add Windows Media Player 12 into Windows 7 N Version before burning DVD in order that it automatically installs WMP 12 as I reformat my PC ?

Thanks a lot in advanced

17. aroenai

aroenai MDL Novice

Sep 21, 2009
    #19 aroenai, Dec 22, 2009
  18. heliosys

heliosys MDL Novice

Jul 12, 2009
    Like what i have said in the very first comment, not worth the effort. Why go through the learning curve, hours of testing and frustration. That's the kind of things you do for your customers, where you learn, and apply on multiple computers.