How to Convert a Dynamic Disk to a Basic Disk?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by osandakj, Dec 14, 2013.

1. osandakj

osandakj MDL Novice

Jul 9, 2013
    Hello,
    I'm using Genuine Windows 7 HP SP1 x64 OEM version in my Acer Notebook.
    Nowadays I have a trouble with my primary disk drive.

Capture.PNG

I Used 3rd party partition management software to shrink my "C" drive. The operation outside the windows wasn't successful and I faced a disk check after that. BTW It goes fine and my whole HDD becomes a dynamic disk. I want to convert it back to basic. But the convert option is inactivated in third party partition management softwares and even disk management utility. So how do I convert it back to basic?

I tried a clean custom windows installation, but I have following errors.

DSCF0466e.jpg

I'm unable to create, delete, extend any volumes here. All options are inactivated (gray) The only option available is "format"

And I was unable to continue Installing windows in the different drive. Then it gives me the bellow error;

DSCF0467e.jpg

Now what can I do to get my HDD back to the previous state?

Please help me.

Thanks in advance before.

2. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Well you haven't got any partitions selected in the 2nd image, it will only show those options available once you choose a partition from the disk list

3. whitestar_999

whitestar_999 MDL Addicted

Dec 9, 2011
    you can't use windows to convert dynamic to basic disk without format.there are 2 ways to do it:a)manual hexadecimal values editing of certain starting hdd sector which i would not recommend for you,b)use easeus partition master home free.

www .sevenforums.com/tutorials/26829-convert-dynamic-disk-basic-disk.html
    see option 4 "Convert Dynamic to Basic Disk using Free "EaseUS Partition Master Home Edition".i recommend doing this immediately after saving your critical files on some external hdd/other pc though it should do the job without any issues but just in case be ready.don't forget clicking on left side box titled "disk 1" to get option "change to basic" in easeus.