How To Convert Server 2012 to a Workstation/Client

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by applegate, Oct 25, 2012.

1. applegate

applegate MDL Member

Aug 1, 2009
    #1 applegate, Oct 25, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  2. Rock Hunter

Rock Hunter MDL Senior Member

Dec 6, 2011
    I have Server 2012 installed and modified to run as a workstation. I am able to do just about everything I can do with Windows 8 expect for one thing, sharing. Server does not support Homegroups. I haven't figured out how to connect from the Server 2012 machine to my other computers. Other than that, it works well and is stable and quick. I use it for managing my two web sites and I am able to modify my sites which have a lot of photos on each page and Microsoft Expression doesn't crash like it does with Windows 7 and Windows 8.

3. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    And thanks God for this!
    Why would anybody sane use Homegroup c**p?

4. Rock Hunter

Dec 6, 2011
    I want Homegroup because I'm using Server as a Workstation, not as a server. As a workstation, I need to be able to share files with other computers in my home.

5. 100

100 MDL Expert

May 17, 2011
    What's wrong with using regular folder shares?

6. Rock Hunter

Dec 6, 2011
    I did the shares that way and I can see the other computers but I can't access the folders or the files. I get an error message telling me to go see my network administrator.

7. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Then have a conversation with yourself (could even use Google as a man in a middle for this)
    Obviously still something to learn...

8. PGHammer

PGHammer MDL Senior Member

Oct 14, 2011
    While you are adding workstation features to a server OS, you can still use your converted Server 2012 *as* a server (or as a domain controller, which is the default) - because I added the Hyper-V role, and wanted to be able to remote into VMs, I had to add the Domain Controller role as well (if you are following the steps in the Remote Desktop role, you will note that the Domain Controller role for the server is a requirement). The workstation conversion (or even just the Desktop Experience add-in, which I am using) doesn't preclude this. Only Server Essentials (as far as I am aware) is precluded from being a domain controller - can someone with SE 2012 installed clear this up?

We get so wrapped up in thinking that a computer can have only one purpose or role that we keep forgetting that computers (and especially servers) have more often than not fulfilled multiple roles, and especially at once.

9. Cowboy

Cowboy MDL Member

Oct 25, 2008
    I assume this was a post from the deep dark past and needs no answer.