How to copy existing user profile to true admin

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by psyko12, Nov 20, 2009.

1. psyko12

psyko12 MDL Novice

Aug 15, 2007
    Well when you 1st isntall the OS the True Admin user account is disabled, so now I've enabled it via

net user Administrator /active:yes

so it enabled the true admin account in the OS, how can i copy the user data that I'm using to the newly enabled True Admin account?

Thanks

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
  3. psyko12

psyko12 MDL Novice

Aug 15, 2007
    Thanks for the input, was using true admin account on vista before I moved up to 7 well none has really changed from "user created profile" to the true admin built in.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    It's really best u leave it disabled. As u said, no significant differences. U have the "Run as administrator..." option when u need "real" admin rights in certain situations.

5. psyko12

psyko12 MDL Novice

Aug 15, 2007
    Np thanks again :D

6. Hackeur

Hackeur MDL Senior Member

Jun 14, 2009
    little bug when enabling the super Administrator account:
    when you log in back to your regular account you get quite a few "you are not the Administrator" messages even when you "run as Administrator" to make system changes or installing some software.
    noticed this experimenting in VMware Win7 installs.

7. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    there is no difference between the built in admin account and a regular admin account when UAC is off, "Administrator" doesn't explicitly have permissions on anything that a account that is a member of the admins group has minus the profile. If you do enable it then rename it from administrator to something else because it is an easily attacked account because of the known SID (which is another reason why you shouldn't use it all the time), so it will give you a little more protection from attacks.

If anything the biggest pain in the ass is taking the permissions from trustedinstaller or system away on certain items. Not UAC or elevation rights.

8. psyko12

psyko12 MDL Novice

Aug 15, 2007
    Thanks all, best to keep it de-activated... Turned it off again...

9. spacednow

spacednow MDL Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Bah, humbug...only one I use. On first logon I enable Admin and rename it through security policy...logout then into admin (renamed) and delete other acct. It eliminates all those "run as admin" issues. I do respect your knowledge genuine555, but I've never had any problems and I think sometimes ppl are to concerned about security. On the other hand I never ran a firewall or even AV and never had a problem in the last 10 years until a recent bout with Vundo and it kicked my butt for a couple of days. I use Avast and Comodo now, but I'm beginning to think even Comodo might be overkill.

10. Gethsemane

Gethsemane MDL Member

Aug 28, 2009
    I do also think home computer users tend to go overboard on security weighing down their system with unneeded software. However it depends on your level of experience with computers. I have been around computers since I was 9 so I basically know what to look for when it comes to safe browsing, running processes, hijack this logs; etc. I just use a hardware firewall my Cisco router provides, Microsoft Security Essentials (used to be no AV), Firefox with Adblock Plus + Noscript. I have never had any problems. But it all depends on what you do.

At minimum I think everyone should have Firefox with addons, Hardware firewall through their router/modem and at least an AV installed. Also make sure your Adobe Flash Player, Java are always up to date as well as your system. For business users it is different.

I have always recommended to friends who run businesses that they should always use virtual systems. More and more businesses are going towards this trend as well for setting up a virtual machine. Basically all the files on the machines/workstations would be saved on the company's servers. If the workstations were ever compromised it's just an easy task of reloading the operating system image. A lot more safer and maintenance free when you do it this way as well.

If a worker wants to use their business computer for private use then they should wait until they're home or if the company allows a personal laptop; they could bring that in. Business computers should never be used for personal use. I'm a firm believer in this. Hopefully all of this made sense.

Home users only need the bare essentials for home computer use. Firefox, anti virus, hardware firewall. Anything else is overkill in a home environment. I almost throw up every time I hear someone say they paid 50.00-150.00 on home security suites. It's overpriced and over hyped. People today rely too much on other sources of information like news and advertisements. Wake up people. Learn the knowledge yourself. It truly is power like people have said for centuries. It also saves you money :p

11. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    I agree on that. Everyone prefers their own, but some security precautions should be implemented none the less. If u don't, eventually u will bump into some malware, virus or trojan that'll bash your system, depending on what u do online...

Well, firefox is secure when using the proper addons, like noscript and adblock. I use them too.
    But allthough I always use Firefox, it's more because of preference, rather then a security must. Other browsers can be evenly secure, when set appropriately.
    As for Hardware FW, u can use that only, or replace it for a software FW, or use both. I prefer both when u got the means, cause it'll offer u a two-layer protection, which is always better.

We see that more and more these days in business environments. It's an elegant solution, but does have it's cons, and still many companies are rather reluctant to apply them on the workfloor.

If I were to use my notebook for personal use, and my employer knew, I'd have my ass kicked (figurarly speaking). So that's a very logical assumption.

I wouldn't call it overkill. A lot of brands OFFER a lot for the money, but actually don't PROVIDE at all. An abundancy of leaks can be found in all kinds of brands. The consumer is often not aware. So I'd rather call it lack of knowledge than overkill, when u buy a suite that just doesn't provide the things it offers.

That's why sites like matousec are very usefull. They can show u some real FACTS about a product, that u can't possibly know about elseway.
    So NO, you can't know or learn THAT knowledge yourself, without the aid of those testing sites. Rely on them, and LEARN from THEM, cause believe it or not, they are right. Ignore the advertisments, but believe the tests.
    Because apart from a simple virus, when u are lacking a PROPER firewall, leaks simply aren't noticed at all. When something passes through, it's not gonna knock before it enters. It's gonna take what it wants and leave again. :p

I have NOD32 + Hardware Belkin FW + Comodo + Malware Bytes

U call that overkill. I call it safety. Cause I get notified on a weekly basis by Comodo and nod, and the logs from Belkin FW even report on an hourly basis.
    And I will know when something crosses paths.

12. Hackeur

Jun 14, 2009
    If you are specifically targeted NOTHING will protect you !!

13. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    I use my routers firewall and eset ss with the firewall disabled on all my servers but I keep SS firewall enabled on my laptop because of the fact that I travel with it and use a good amount of public connections.

A home router is good enough for most people, I have seen people running small businesses out of their house with Watchguard firewalls, and SonicWALLs, unless you are doing some major hosting out of your house or need VPN a Linksys or any other home N router is good enough, it is gigabit and N that is all you need, now some fancy one's even have NASs built in.

14. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    Keep it real bro. I'm not public enemy nr. 1, so that's not an issue...

15. psyko12

psyko12 MDL Novice

Aug 15, 2007
    Well this turned out to be a security thread now, your inputs are great and every bit helps the avarage joe users who read this. :) I also use 2 layer of FW from my hardware to ESET SS FW :).

Hmm anybody else here got issues with Windows FW and ESETSS FW turned on at the same time?

IDK if its only me or there are others but when I installed ESETSS it did not turn off windows FW, is that normal? Or should I turn it off manually since I'm using ESET?

So far having them both ON has not given me any problems :D

16. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
  17. psyko12

psyko12 MDL Novice

Aug 15, 2007
    #18 psyko12, Nov 21, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
    (OP)
  18. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    Never use 2 software FW's side by side, bro. Not a good idea. Better to disable winFW through services.msc, or use WinFW and uninstall FW from ESET.

19. Hackeur

Jun 14, 2009
    I was referring to a growing trend of ex's (husbands,wives,boyfriend,girlfriend...etc..) who seek revenge through the net and specifically target your machine.