How to create official Windows 7 MSDN/TechNet ISO's - FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by prxprx, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #21 Daz, Aug 13, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
    Yeah, that part would work but he talks about it like you can just open it in notepad and make the changes and save it. He doesn't explain that that file also needs a matching timestamp or date. I mean did MS put out different ei.cfg files all with the exact same date and time used in his example? If not then its going to have a different hash to what the original is right?

Edit

Just checked my own ISO, didn't realise they all had exactly the same date and time. Apologies! I can see how this can produce the same hash for official Windows versions if users wanted to do that, but *add* any other file and you will get a different hash.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. EGOvoruhk

EGOvoruhk MDL Novice

Jul 21, 2009
    He may not have explained it, but changing the date was certainly part of the process he posted

3. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Yeah, as the above says lol.

In my sleepy ways I didn't pay much attention towards the actual ISO dates and times all being the same, I guessed that like most others you come across it would have different dates and times for each file.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. FABIGUI

FABIGUI MDL Member

Jun 2, 2007
    Home made official Windows 7 MSDN/TechNet ISO's :eek:

5. ochentay4

ochentay4 MDL Novice

Aug 19, 2007
    so, this guy was right from the begining! congrats! it should be STICKY

6. chaddawkins

chaddawkins MDL Senior Member

Sep 16, 2007
    nice

i'm glad i have the aweful tendency to have an open mind and read a complete post before posting, otherwise i might look like a fool right now ;)

good job dude, what i want to know is, how exactly did you come across these steps so that you can do this? :D new guy shows up on the forum with zero post and lets loose with info like this... lol:cool:

7. FireSokar

FireSokar MDL Member

May 1, 2009
    and the point of making sha1 matchable iso's would be......................................................................... Nothing? Seriously the Sha1 is provided only for the end-user to verify his iso before burning. The only relevant usage for this would be for those trying to sell the iso/disc. If its for "arching" then you should download the original iso from MS not try to fake your own. This is useless to me and im sure many others. The only thing I have done to my ISO's is either integrate crack or remove the ei.cg all together. I do not care about a sha1 once its been downloaded. Whats the point of doing this? Saving B/W and trying to make fake MS images?

8. chaddawkins

Sep 16, 2007
    #28 chaddawkins, Aug 13, 2009
    i know what you're saying... pointless in a way... the only way i can see it being worth anything is if, say, i have an ultimate disk and i want/need a professional disk, I know of a way that I can alter/remake the image and know that it is just as good as the one i can download from M$. Technically, the same really, aren't they? As long as nothing else is changed, aren't they exactly the same? after all, that's all that M$ would have done, isn't it.... someone that doesn't have the bandwidth can alter an ultimate disc and get all the others they wanted, without having to download the others...

9. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    Here's a quite useful point. I can take the files from whatever "touched" version of 7600 that I downloaded before the others were available, run them through this process and be sure what I got was, in fact, legit. I haven't yet been able to allocate the time or bandwidth to download the real ones again, and if this checks out, I don't need to.

10. twiz

twiz MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    #30 twiz, Aug 13, 2009
    TBH this is nothing new or amazing... Basically, it's like saying instead of doing 2 + 2 = 4, you can do 2 x 2 to get 4.
    It's taking what you have, doing something different, but coming up with the same answer.
    It's more for the novelty than anything.

Other than using 1 download to 'recreate' the downloads for each edition of the same version:
    It's use is very limited for the average person, but it does have some use to someone somewhere.

Except not.
    If anything this shows you can spoof/alter timestamps very easily.
    So if you're judging your untouched/legit status based on timestamps, you should think again... that's why we have CRC/MD5/SHA-1.
    All someone would have to do is modify a file, change their computers time to match the timestamp and then save.
    Unless you have the hash for each individual file, it's not a good idea to try to convert touched ISOs to legit ones.

11. FireSokar

FireSokar MDL Member

May 1, 2009
    one problem tho

Myrrh the untouched version uses files from a previous build so it wont quite check out.

12. sunnybear

sunnybear MDL Novice

Jul 28, 2009
    very nice post...learned a lot..

only if you could put up some more versions of cfg file example, and what's VL mean? if i set it to 1, does that mean, i have a VL version of system? and can be activated with a VOL key? like xp? i thought this VL key is gone since vista...

13. genuineintel

genuineintel MDL Member

Apr 28, 2009
    To me, this is a good tutorial. Thanks.

14. Reign_Of_Freedom

Reign_Of_Freedom MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2009
    I've used that program before it's pretty nice.

15. chaddawkins

Sep 16, 2007
    exactly

...exactly

16. Jared-

Jared- MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    .....why?

Sounds like a waste of time...

17. motion55

motion55 MDL Junior Member

Aug 17, 2008
    Thx prxprx,

I have been seeking an "untouched" MSDN/Technet ISO for the Professional version. Only the Ulitmate version is readily available through torrent.

Others have been saying that ei.cfg need only be modified. However, other people have also been saying to obtain "untouched" ISO for safety against implanted malware.

Your procedure has at least proven without a doubt that I only need to download the "untouched" Ultimate version (which I already have) to reproduce the other "untouched" ISOs.

18. Reign_Of_Freedom

Reign_Of_Freedom MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2009
    Yeah, but it's just easier to change the ei.cfg IMO.

19. Puhu

Puhu MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2009
    Thanks, very useful post.

Been struggling with all kind of software to make my "own dvd" but didn't succeed, this will probably will make me succeed :)

Just a question, deleting the ei.cfg will give the question which version you want to install, right?