How to disable metro ui (Windows 8 CP)

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by slayermbm, Feb 29, 2012.

1. daryld

daryld MDL Novice

Feb 9, 2012
    not everyone that wants the metro side of things removed should go back to windows 7 as its knowing windows 8 handles the memory usage a lot better than windows 7 so it has its benefits there but in my opinion they have made a huge mistake by removing the start orb completely, an option to enable it would have been brilliant to keep both sets happy but I must admit it is a bit of a nuisance to operate without the start orb

2. oneextraid

oneextraid MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    #22 oneextraid, Mar 1, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
    I create a toolbar that contains shortcuts to all of my apps. I then right click task bar and add it. Works great for W8. Like an abbreviated start menu from W7.

Just create a folder and copy shortcuts. I call mine Progs or Tools. Create toolbar by selecting the folder and will appear on taskbar.

Added screen print.

Attached Files:

3. ExtraDan

ExtraDan MDL Novice

Dec 18, 2011
    you monsters... HOW, CAN, YOU, HATE, METRO?!

4. velocidad

velocidad MDL Member

Nov 15, 2009
    It's not all about performace. This OPERATING System it's not operative.

Not all ppl use their computer as servers neither to post s**t on twiter/facebook or chat on msn. Let's hope some1 open their eyes before this s**t goes RTM.

And I will really want to know who was giving advices on how to make an OS or what kind of ppl was participating in the connect program; but seeying this I think I can make a nice picture of it.

5. Sugadevan

Sugadevan MDL Junior Member

Feb 20, 2011
    LOVE MERO:worthy: those who dont like metro go back to XP:mad:

6. rover3500

rover3500 MDL Novice

Jan 24, 2009
    I don't like Metro,it seems to be made for tablets to me.I'm sure there must be a reason they got rid of the start button,unless they're just testing it out without it to see how much people hate it,it is the beta after all.Is a lot of hassle switching between screens all the time,with the start menu,you could see the other stuff you are doing on the screen all the time.I don't like the forced full screen either.They could at least have made the ui look better rather than the dull monocolours,like the bootup fish-Windows is going backwards, like the wii; looks like a 30 year old Nintendo.I hope it changes as it is definitely quicker,though it keeps locking up at the end of copying or emptying bin for a while(5-15 secs)The dev preview did it aswell.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. slayermbm

slayermbm MDL Novice

Jul 16, 2011
    #27 slayermbm, Mar 1, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
    (OP)
    I think that's exactly what I'm going to do. I will continue "living in the past", as some of you like to say.

I'm probably one of the few people that prioritaze speed and simplicity nowadays, instead of looks, which is the way Microsoft seems to be heading with Metro.

Windows XP is faster than WinVista, Win7 and Win8. That's all that I really need.

8. natostanco

natostanco MDL Novice

Mar 29, 2011
    and that's why in 20years of development the ui has never changed from win 3.1 because everytime there is a trial to change, it gets slammed down by the users :D, not saying the metro ui is good or bad, but a bit deeper criticism would be better

9. Gaius

Gaius MDL Novice

May 17, 2011
    The desktop should only be a transition from Aero to Metro, not this immersive start menu crap.

10. slayermbm

slayermbm MDL Novice

Jul 16, 2011
    Canouna, do you know if Windows 8 Server Beta also comes with Metro, or can you disable it?

If it's possible, I'm willing to test it.

11. fma965

fma965 MDL Junior Member

Jun 19, 2011
    i sorta bodged mine up.

i used vistart 7 and a blank taskbar icon then i can press the start menu icon like windows 7 or hover in bottom left corner for windows 8 start page.

i.imgur.com/QbnLC.png
    i.imgur.com/WSlMH.png

12. Miamijerry

Miamijerry MDL Junior Member

Nov 8, 2011
    Yes, Windows 8 Server has Metro

13. thavmym

thavmym MDL Junior Member

Jul 20, 2009
    can't believe IT professional will use metro to configure server :biggrin:

14. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    Ugly, but not unusable.

server8beta.jpg

If it will host files and run Hyper-V more stable than 2008R2, I am all for it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. fma965

fma965 MDL Junior Member

Jun 19, 2011
    just wanted to say please dont forget to thanks me for the post i posted above as although i didnt post the link i did say the first "kinda solution" thanks. sorry if this post is not allowed.

16. cipacipacipa

cipacipacipa MDL Novice

Sep 7, 2009
    First of all, it is a Frankenstein solution, intended for XP, and might not even work with the RTM. Second of all, it doesn't get rid of Metro or disable Metro, so I still have to look at this ugly mofo from time to time, e.g. when starting up...

17. OvaryActing

OvaryActing MDL Senior Member

Jan 4, 2011
    #38 OvaryActing, Mar 2, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  18. thavmym

thavmym MDL Junior Member

Jul 20, 2009

Indeed, this is the best and most simple solution for starting frequently used programs. Thanks for help!

19. fma965

fma965 MDL Junior Member

Jun 19, 2011
    cant bare the metro UI for 2 seconds when booting well maybe you shouldn't be using windows 8 then :p HUH?