How to disable metro ui (Windows 8 CP)

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by slayermbm, Feb 29, 2012.

1. OvaryActing

OvaryActing MDL Senior Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. fma965

fma965 MDL Junior Member

Jun 19, 2011
    I have done this to my start screen is also really bare only a few apps.

3. cipacipacipa

cipacipacipa MDL Novice

Sep 7, 2009
    Alrite, so tell me please: how am I able to search and start programs without Metro popping up all the time? When I want to start a program in w7 that isn't pinned to the taskbar, I simply hit the windows key on my keyboard and type the first few letters, then hit Enter. This isn't possible with the simple solution of adding a new group to the taskbar, becaue it doesn't have the search ability, and Metro will still pop up. And the 3rd party solution might not even work with the RTM and requires to add an empty group to the taskbar so that it doesn't overlap the other icons - this is dirty and stupid work, and shouldn't be neccessary on a brand new shiny system just in order to make it useable in the first place. Do you get my drift now?

4. cipacipacipa

cipacipacipa MDL Novice

Sep 7, 2009
    On a similar note, we could make a subforum for Metro fanboys, so WE don't have to scroll past YOUR comments every day, how about that? Maybe you should take a look at the topic of this thread once again...?

5. pezzonovante

pezzonovante MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Metro is the most beautiful, gorgeous, productive, easy, usable and the greatest UI of ALL time -- for desktops, laptops and tablets. People who don't like Metro are Luddites, backward, stupid and ignorant who shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a computer.

6. cipacipacipa

cipacipacipa MDL Novice

Sep 7, 2009
    #46 cipacipacipa, Mar 2, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
    For you that might well be. However, people who try to impose their views on others and act in accordance with the rule "he who is not with me is against me", calling all others backward, ignorant and stupid should not only not be allowed anywhere a computer, but obliged to see a shrink, if for nothing else then for their own sake. Apart from being a troll, you're also missing the point: this thread is not about how great Metro is, but how to switch it off for those who, like me and many others here, hate it with their very soul, but still would like to use w8 due to its other numerous advantages, mainly under the hood. If you're still not getting it, then I give up. :cool:

Well, at least Microsoft has done one thing right: if it turns out that w8 really won't be as easy to crack as w7 by means of the SLIC method (either through a BIOS mod or a loader), then people will actually have to buy it with their hard-earned cash. Then it will be easy to separate the wheat from the chaff, and we'll see how many people actually like the Metro UI (except for OEM pre-installs, of course).

Judging from the poll on MDL, w8 will fail far worse than Vista did back then. Which is a good thing: for the next os release, it will force MS to think more about what the majority of their customers want, instead of their design department gone wild and crazy on psychedelic drugs.

7. winlonghorn

winlonghorn MDL Junior Member

Jun 22, 2011
    After thinking it over, my take on the whole "I HATE METRO" mentality is this: "That is fine! To each their own! What my hope is is that Those that hate it will at least still enjoy Windows 8 by clicking on the desktop tile to go and use the desktop after booting into Windows 8! I just want Windows 8 to be a great success overall! I want to be able to write my apps and target a large audience and have all of this great functionality! I don't want this METRO HATE to ruin that for myself, users that love METRO, and other developers! That worry alone is what irritates me to no end!"

8. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #48 Daz, Mar 2, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. urkelz

urkelz MDL Novice

Mar 1, 2012
    DAZ. How does it slow you down. Instead of clicking 2 to 3 times in Windows 7. You just click once to reach all your apps. You can resize the tiles if you dont like the big ones or you can make shortcuts on to the Desktop we've always used. Also non-metro apps are already presented in small boxes.

10. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #50 Daz, Mar 2, 2012
    Lets say you want to open the start menu, you need to put your mouse in the bottom right, move it back up, click to select to view the start screen and then click your application if it's pinned. Now compare that to Windows 7 where I can click the start orb and then I have my most used stuff in a list. That's less clicks, less mouse movement and I wasn't taken out of the experience as I can still see all of my other applications. And I know the menu can be brought up by using the Windows key, but I'm simply giving you a quick example of speed and the UI issues Windows 8 has. Think about it. If you do the same thing on a touch enabled device then you're not dragging your mouse all over the screen because you take your finger away between erm, "clicks".

As a developer it's important for me to see everything that's going on so that I can quickly navigate between windows and view code in multiple projects. Jumping in and out of the start screen and losing sight of what I'm working on is annoying as hell.

11. Brainsuck

Brainsuck MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2009
    Daz is right we all need to tell ms this or it wo'nt be put back A phone OS on a desktop sucks Windows phone works better than this _hit Staying on Win 7 for now

12. urkelz

urkelz MDL Novice

Mar 1, 2012
    I go to the corner click once without waiting or moving, and metro ui comes up. so thats just 1 click in the corner. Then I have access to all my main apps and I can group them, like have all your development apps in 1 group, instead of having their own default folders in Windows 7. All this would be just 2 clicks. but yeah you do lose sight of your desktop, I can see how that could be annoying if you have to go in and out all the time.

13. winlonghorn

Jun 22, 2011
    you don't have to move your mouse back up to click the start square that comes up.

14. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #54 Daz, Mar 2, 2012
    It's just the whole mouse movement to dig into options and get to where I need to be. Yes it's possible to do it, but it requires a lot of modifying, but then why would I bother doing that when Windows 7 can do it quicker and without covering up everything I'm working on. And I know some will say that I should pin applications to the taskbar or make shortcuts on the desktop, but that's an awful lot of shortcuts I'd need to make for everything I do. In fact I'm not sure if I'd have any taskbar left if I did that o_O

I like change, but the changes need to make sense to me and Metro simply doesn't make sense to me on the desktop. I honestly think the only reason MS are pushing it is so that they can sell you applications from their market and make even more money.

@ winlonghorn
    You do on the VM I have here.

15. winlonghorn

Jun 22, 2011
    That may be a bug in the CP then.

16. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    I'm not sure and I don't want to create a VHD again to test Windows 8 on my system as I know it's a waste of my time. All I know is that I have to move the mouse to the bottom right to get the charms bar to show and then I've got to move the mouse up to select "start" which requires a click. That then covers my screen which is what annoys me because I lose sight of my work.

17. suddo30

suddo30 MDL Novice

May 1, 2011
    why should remove metro ui! who want start menu go back to :Flush:xp even better
    I like metro ui

18. winlonghorn

Jun 22, 2011
    I agree with you to some degree. I wish that the start screen wouldn't take up the entire screen (even when you have pinned apps). Why should it do that when even the desktop shrinks for the pinned apps? :(

19. dummekuehe

dummekuehe MDL Senior Member

Jan 11, 2009
    That's not a stupid metro fullscreen app. It is just a normal program with metro look.

20. dummekuehe

dummekuehe MDL Senior Member

Jan 11, 2009
    @suddo30: Just reading your stupid post tells me that you'll never get why we are pissed. Because you don't have to work with your computer.