How to disable metro ui (Windows 8 CP)

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by slayermbm, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    #81 Shenj, Mar 2, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
    Clicking any of these Items will take you away from what you are working on by stealing focus and opening a new Program/Explorer Window...

Have more to thow at me? maybe something that's less of nonsense how about more critcal design decisions of the Metro ui instead of rather pointless changes that hardly matter at all please, it's hard to discuss with the sole reason that you "don't like it"

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. OvaryActing

OvaryActing MDL Senior Member

Jan 4, 2011
    I am sorry you feel that way. :hug2:
    It's a perfect solution for me.

But like I said, my only metro exposure now is when the pc starts up.
    I am actually more productive in win8. I didn't think I would be, but I am.

I can add anything I want to the "start menu" toolbar, so for me, it is completely ordered. Granted, I barely used start button or had any need for anything in the start menu except for "windows update", a visible "run" button, and the rare moment I had to find an uninstaller that was not shown in control panel method. I save 1 click with this method when using windows update vs doing this in win7.

I am still not sure if I will cast win8 as worse or better than vista. I was there for vista dev progress. My hatred was based on how everything was so good then all changed. and vista never remember settings. :D I don't program anymore, so I cannot really say from the standpoint of a person who's job is to code all day, just how actually annoying win8 is, but with my now current computing use, win8 is doing just fine for me, sans bugs.

My old pc's are really loving it. running better than xp sp3 or win7. really amazed.

O.K. to long of a reply. sorry. really realllllyyyyy baked.
    :shisha:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #83 Daz, Mar 2, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
    I never really do. I use an app lots and then it shows up in the menu so while I'm launching it I pin it. It was at least 4 months until I even bothered to change the Windows wallpaper ;)
    The fact that it's hidden at all is annoying. As some other developers have said, this whole process does slow us down.
    And if my phone goes or I'm for some bizarre reason actually using a metro app? It's the default screen and it doesn't display what I'd say is essential information.
    Do you expect everyone to remember key combinations? I know many of the older people in my family will say it's stupid because it was easier to click a button before.

Clicking on any of the things I mentioned in the classic start menu doesn't take me out of anything. I'm still in the desktop, I can resize and minimize windows and see things much faster.

People use Windows in different ways, and this is my point. What you thinks normal I could thinks a silly way to do things, and what I thinks normal you could thinks a complicated way to do things.

I want to like Metro, really I do, but when I'm on a desktop I don't care for it as much as I would on my notebook maybe. And how hard is it really for MS to give people the option? Maybe not to completely disable metro, but give us an option to display a list of applications down the side of the screen or something. Anything is better than pulling you out of the desktop experience to see a huge menu filled with apps, when all you really want to do is open a few applications at once.

4. OvaryActing

OvaryActing MDL Senior Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Please DO!!!! I would <3 you forever!

I don't seeing it as lashing out. You are just being honest and passionate about your computing experience expectations. :)

I cannot disagree at all. Quick and familiar.

5. Mr.Sv

Mr.Sv MDL Novice

Mar 2, 2012
    MS is so bad when it comes to protection as an end user;) Seriously. Since 2005, when Vista arrived on our computers have made great progress. As of today, not when a system is infected is a 99% user fault, not the system. I know the weight of the cases where the users themselves off basic security, enjoy later with cracked apps on accounts with administrator privileges and ... Final know.

I do not want to discuss all the technical details, but in terms of security modern MS systems are not at all inferior to OS X and various Linux distributions. So a very negative opinion goes from bad XP, if anyone is interested in security issues really remember how long it took after the release of Vista to the selection team consisting of nearly 1,400 people, and how the OS X one person (and not Vista fared worse here) ;)

With Windows-based work longer than 16 years is a long time to get used to the "classic" UI, so did he by this time, but the basics are the same. Honestly, I do not know if the way we chose MS is good or bad. Granted, the option to select the UI would be a great solution,

I know personally a few users who actually forfeited by Metro. Same as previously mentioned I do not pay much attention to them because the "start menu" does not spend much time. While not take my cmd, PowerShell, wmic shot at them will not. We are happy to see the further fate of this interface will roll.
    For now, focus on the technical side of the new system because it is for me more important than the interface (though I admit that some things look quite ugly, for example, the default apps selection).

6. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #86 Daz, Mar 2, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  7. dummekuehe

dummekuehe MDL Senior Member

Jan 11, 2009
    first: can you prove what you say? second: it's not about the looks. it's about dumbing down everything for idiots. you can see that everywhere. games, operating systems, routers, cars. and dumbing down everything also comes with a price that those of us have to pay that actually have a brain.

8. rockinkaj

rockinkaj MDL Novice

Feb 29, 2012
    couldn't agree more :Flush::confused:

9. Jachra

Jachra MDL Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Daz,

I totally agree on that. What bothers me most that one standard App like the one for the Windows Store ask for it, but an other requires you to change your local account to a Microsoft account. It makes me wonder how much the management of the Windows Developers-group had any oversight at all? I know it is a beta, but come on, it looks like that they didn't even have a design checklist and/or a design guide-line.

One question remains at this point, why is there a registry key for Alternate Shells?

10. Mr.Sv

Mr.Sv MDL Novice

Mar 2, 2012
    #90 Mr.Sv, Mar 3, 2012
    With all due respect, You overreacting. Maybe it's my bad English, but I do not understand about what additional information you are saying.
    Each system is a huge amount of information about you to the meeting, there are no exceptions. Each system has a "manner of" store passwords, each program has the same, and the "manners" are generally known. Has anyone already used?
    If you mean by "socialization" of the system (work online, centralized place for your personal settings and passwords, stored online), no one is forcing anyone to make this the new Windows did.
    Such solutions are now a long time in mobile devices, iOS, Android etc. Yes, they carry a risk, which have experienced a number of Android users mindlessly storing passwords and other sensitive information on your phone.
    By a similar way to collect and store data scolded Sony.

If someone uses the Opera Link also can not feel safe, I have long said that one of the stupid things you can do, send your passwords and other private stuff on a server online. It's a matter of time when you hear how much user data leaked Opera ... in such a world we live.
    Do not think that blindly trying to defend Microsoft, but I think that people working on the new system are not stupid, are aware of such problems. Similar solutions can introduce in 2009, Sinofsky said then that it is too early for such a move. In my opinion, wanted to see how similar solutions will grow where they are the point of greatest interest, the market for "mobile" devices.

Sinofsky has been working a long time for safety, he wrote about it recently on your block (due to the limitations meter posts I can not give link).
    The Windows 8 shows a new permission policy, even "tighter" than in Windows 7 and I like it.
    At the end of such a question, how much we want to dig for safety, such as Apple? Windows just love his philosophy, you want install program X? There you go, no problem, get where you want and install it. Do you want the driver Y? Not a problem ... but always remember that it is best to download the sources, this is the safest.

11. FireRx

FireRx MDL Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Honestly, folks I spend about 85% of my Windows 8 experince on the Desktop. without even looking at the metro screen. and when I do the Metro UI is pretty nice. People if you going to test beta software , prepare to evolve. If you don't like it, Stay on Windows 7 and enjoy. See that was Easy wasn't it?:biggrin:

12. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    #92 Shenj, Mar 3, 2012
    Well you have to think broader a website hack could leak a million of passwords, your pc could be as secure as ever it doesn't matter etc.
    But either way if you plan on using Windows Account it would be preferable to seriously consider using a complete unique password for this account you use nowhere else to avoid the Trial&Error logins when some more or less crappy site gets hacked but you have a account there with the same email and same password, so when you have the same for Microsoft account you are pretty much screwed cause like Daz said this account is pretty much a "master key" if you enabled remote control for your PC on Skydrive someone could even access your private PC.. there are quite a few "security flaws" I hope to see some double checking with Phone numbers, where it sends a short code to it and only entering this code + your mail + your pw will give you access to Buy from the store (heck save this stuff encrypted in windows with a hardware ID so you only have to do this ONCE on a pc)
    Heck there are quite a few things to make this system more or less really secure even if your password leaks, they just need to implement such functionality, I hope you understood what i meant, this would pretty much reduce all the malicous possible buys in the Store to a ridiculous low number, while this shouldn't be limited to Store but also SkyDrive and other services

13. Mr.Sv

Mr.Sv MDL Novice

Mar 2, 2012
    #93 Mr.Sv, Mar 3, 2012
    I have the same, only in the "Metro Start" spend less time :)

Sinofsky write about this.
    A lot about this Katie Frigon also wrote in "Signing in to Windows 8 with a Windows Live ID".
    Also consider different ways of verifying identity, call one of the first method. Sinofsky also wrote here about biometrics and how it's not hard to guess, he meant Kinect. I think that, when the RC year we will know much more about them.

14. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    I know that there is recovery with your phone number, Windows8 even asks you for one when using liveid (not required though) but what i meant is the actual initial Login on different PC's so even with the PW stolen someone can't just login without your phone for the FIRST time (could as well be optional i couldnt' caree, i would like to use it like this.. so only on confirmed PC's you cn actually buy and stuff.. sounds logical no?)

15. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    I was thinking more along the lines of copying whatever local files there are, moving them to a virtual machine and spoofing some ID's. By that rule they wouldn't need to enter your password and would have access to your email, messenger and everything you bought from the Windows store. Other methods could include the typical key logger with packet sniffing. And I'm not saying the solutions would be very effective, but you're easier to target on Windows 8 because the system uses your Live login information as it's master key.

16. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    #96 Shenj, Mar 3, 2012
    If it were to use a similar algorithm that Windows Activation uses (hardware bound) this would be no problem at all (copy local files etc) (it probably doesn't). If it were to be hardware bound and use the method i posted this would be pretty much fail safe, how often does a hacker have direct control of your PC, hardly.. almost everything happens though keyloggers and web hacks to get to the passwords/ids, would protect againt more than 95% attack scenarios.
    Also on the sidenote what if you loses the phone? well how often does it happend that you lose your Phone & your PC at the same time? (apart form a Disaster like a house fire, flood etc)

But as long as there is no Hardware bound connection for some stuff, the whole system would never be safe as you can simply login from another PC without entering a new PIN but just your usual PW.. i just somehow doubt to ever see such a approach, cause for exmple.. you have a new phone since a year.. you upgrade your PC.. login wnat to buy a new App.. you can't hardware changed.. phone number changed... you might nmow need your original Windows Key you used and call support and what not... quite some work for the support for certain scenarios that are likly to happen

17. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Well it could also wait in the background until you enter the security codes or whatever. You just need to keep in mind that if Windows 8 can change so much then so will it's malware.

If your account was linked to a phone and MS text you a special code and then you entered that code to reset your password then that'd be the solution to the problem. Right now they don't have anything like that in place, do they?

Everything we've said here is constructive criticism. We say what we don't like or what bothers us, but we've given ideas and examples as to what would help fix these problems. I like that.

18. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    #98 Shenj, Mar 3, 2012
    There is, you can reset your password with via phone, Windows 8 will even ask you for your phone number (optional!), but still... it's just resetting so the damage is already done if you had to reset because it was stolen.
    Edit: Just looked you can even get a password for the Live services that works for once by entering your LiveID and phone number.

19. speedbirdengineer

speedbirdengineer MDL Novice

Oct 20, 2011
    I think that basically this metro UI is suitable or convenient to some, & NOT to others. At the end of the day, if a person like Daz does not find it convenient or practical in his work, he doesn't want it. Same with me- I prefer not to use it based on practical reasons. Similarly someone else might love the colours & the set up & the lot. Therefore as a great marketing strategy, (& I guess common sense too), Microsoft should give the end-user an option to what his/her requirements are, by which one can either activate/de-activate Metro via whatever method possible. Therefore its a very delinquent attitude, when 1 says that users who don't like Metro are stupid, ignorant etc etc. Mate, I think you should get your s**t together.

20. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    So what MS really needs to do is have some kind of reminder along the lines of "hey, link your phone to this account and then even if you mess up your system you'll still be able to recover this account". Of course it's then down to the user to login and change passwords found in their emails, and not use the same password for every account. I guess time till tell how well it all works.