How to disable metro ui (Windows 8 CP)

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by slayermbm, Feb 29, 2012.

1. st_7

st_7 MDL Member

Dec 19, 2009
    You can do this even by just hovering ur mouse at the bottom right of the screen, you get metro ui start menu(a small square previewing Metro UI Desktop). For me the only thing I'm missing in Win8 from Win7 is the classic start menu even in classical desktop interface. It's really thoughtless decision by MS to take out classical start menu even in classical desktop interface along with the most ridiculous omission of some sort of close button for metro app(we can't close an opened metro app from the app itself). But I appreciate MS for giving me the choice of using regular desktop interface(except the start menu). 99% I use regular desktop interface only.

2. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    You can drag down a window to close it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    @ st_7
    Yes, there's different ways to access it but I'm also thinking about it as a developer. Like if I were to sit my dad at a Windows 8 PC and tell him to access the start menu then he'd look at the screen and say he can't because it's not there. He wouldn't think about putting the mouse in the corner and he certainly wouldn't think about using the second mouse button to access some extra options.

I'm going to be using a lot of the "legacy" software so will always be in the regular desktop. Now, I don't mind metro being there but I want a quick clean way to access a list of programs without having to pin lots of stuff to my taskbar or fill my desktop with shortcuts. And I never want to feel like I'm being taken out of the desktop experience which is exactly what the new start menu does, because you lose focus of what you're working on.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Miamijerry

Miamijerry MDL Junior Member

Nov 8, 2011
    Could someone write a .bat file which could run from the startup folder to automaticially move from Metro to the desktop?

5. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #105 Daz, Mar 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  6. st_7

st_7 MDL Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Ok thanks for enlightening me on this, that's cool way to close just a reverse way to closing in WebOS.

This is just exactly what I'm thinking about Win 8, I just need a classical start menu in the classical desktop interface, I too don't like pinning programs in taskbar.

7. catsrv

catsrv MDL Novice

Nov 20, 2011
    I think so M$ must make an old and good Strat Menu with Metro-style because:
    1) A lot of users hate this Lego Metro
    2) A half of apps sometimes works incorrectly

8. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    Fixed. :p:whistle3:

Someone has to check if the Startmenu code is still in Explorer as it did shrink for like 400kb in size as well, if it's still there it should be possible to call it with some hooking.

9. Slappy

Slappy MDL Junior Member

Aug 12, 2008
    I haven't actually installed or tried the Windows 8 preview yet, but I have been researching and have found several articles with suggested solutions to getting the "Classic" start menu back on Windows 8.

One such is titled: How to Enable Good Old Start Button (ORB) and Start Menu in Windows 8

If one googles that title, you will find several possible solutions to getting the "classic" start menu back.

Again, I haven't tested any of them yet, but they are potential solutions to this particular problem and show that many people are considering solutions and releasing methods of accomplishing it.

Might be worth a look for those who want/need the "classic" start menu.

Regards,

10. cipacipacipa

cipacipacipa MDL Novice

Sep 7, 2009
    #110 cipacipacipa, Mar 4, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
    But all those results always boil down to the two methods already mentioned in this thread, if you had bothered to read it: creation of a new taskbar toolbar (which doesn't give you the search ability, and comfortable pinning or automatic display of last used programs is out of the question, too), or installation of some 3rd party software intended for win xp that has the search ability, but might not even work with the final RTM, and requires to create an empty taskbar toolbar so that it doesn't overlap the other icons pinned to the task bar - which is simply primitive and unacceptable.

If MS is unwilling to offer an GUI opiton to switch off the Metro lego bollocks, for whatever f**ked-up reasons (either due to a drug/alcohol-induced design philosophy or because they want to milk the users out of their money with metro apps), they should AT THE VERY LEAST offer me the same registry entry that worked for the develper preview and disabled Metro completely. Then I would be a happy man. If not - Tel Aviv, win7 support ends in 2020. :cool:

11. mnibilly

mnibilly MDL Novice

Sep 14, 2011
    Maybe, persons different,habits different.
    W8(ms) is JUST a platform for most consumers,I only care which OS is the best for my personal softwares.
    Time shows everything!

12. mnibilly

mnibilly MDL Novice

Sep 14, 2011
    Also Metro ui for win OS is a innovation.
    But it's more fit for mobiles.

13. joostiphone

joostiphone MDL Novice

Mar 4, 2012
    I think it's pretty handy. Nice overview of apps.

14. Nimbus2000

Nimbus2000 MDL Senior Member

May 5, 2010
    When Micro$oft released Vista, they at least gave the consumer the option to "downgrade" to XP (some OEM's even charged extra for this privilege). Many people purchased a new computer that came with Vista and hated it. I had a lot of business doing "downgrades". Now with this Metro monstrosity, I see much more business in my future :D

15. OvaryActing

OvaryActing MDL Senior Member

Jan 4, 2011
    #115 OvaryActing, Mar 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  16. SL2

SL2 MDL Member

Jan 18, 2012
    This makes the Desktop come up on startup. It's the same argument as in the .xml above.

It worked for me, I tried several reboots, Lego is visible for a second but then Desktop shows up.

1 - Open Event Viewer (Win + C, search) > Windows Logs > Application

2 - Right click winlogon, select Attach Task To This Event, go to Action -
    Program: C:\Windows\explorer.exe
    Add arguments: shell:::{3080F90D-D7AD-11D9-BD98-0000947B0257}

3 - Finish the wizard. Restart or login again to see the result.

Taken from addictivetips

Who said Media Center was gone? It's there..

17. sandman117

sandman117 MDL Junior Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Thanks SL2,

I could not get this to work from the event viewer so I went to the task scheduler instead and created a new task as in your instructions (program and arguments) and it worked. Lego displays for a second then switches to desktop.

Also having been to various forums I have put 2 shortcuts for shutdown and restart on the desktop to avoid the charms bar

18. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    I'm not surprised as it was just a quick guess. Tying it to a process instead might help but I'm not sure which process would start late enough to work without also having to wait 10+ seconds.

@ SL2
    Might work, but winlogon does log a few events at different stages so it may not be reliable.

@ sandman117
    That'd result in the same thing as the xml file. It's a standalone triggered at startup.

19. _spinner_

_spinner_ MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
    Hi Daz,

Previously, using Vistart, it goes directly to desktop, now, after few graphical mods, Vistart does non start in automatic:
    Is in the startup list in task manager
    If i untick in properties Run as Administrator it launches with an error(for sure it's clear), but if i check that flag, at the next boot it does not start... with no errors. Manually it works lile a charm

I'v reseted the PC, but same bug.

Any ideas? :worthy::worthy:

Thanks man, if we solve this, we find a solution to skip metro start menu with the standard desktop and standard start menu

20. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    @ _alex_
    Have you tried to create a scheduled task for it instead? You could have it launch at startup and you can control the permissions.