How to disable Windows Store apps in Windows 10 Pro

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by yousif, Sep 16, 2018.

1. yousif

yousif MDL Member

Dec 14, 2013
    Hi everyone,

As mentioned in the tittle, I really need to disable Windows Store apps in Windows 10 Pro edition (Latest stable + Latest Insider) as I tried the Group Policy option and registry with no luck.

Appreciate your support.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    My advise will be take a Pro windows 10 iso and remove the app's with MSMG toolkit and then do an inplace upgrade you will lose the app's that way

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. l3ktion

l3ktion MDL Novice

May 8, 2017
    hey. can i still use the regular windows updater to install updates? will it add the metro apps and other windows components back?

4. PsychedelicShaman

PsychedelicShaman MDL Member

Dec 4, 2017
    If you remove UWP (metro) apps, then feature updates will bring them back on, unfortunately. Every 6 months there is "feature update" which acts as a "system refresh" - meaning it will bring back UWP apps and reset all your settings to default values.
    That's why me and many other guys here are using Enterprise LTSB edition only, it's the only one that doesn't have this problem. :)

5. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
  6. yousif

yousif MDL Member

Dec 14, 2013
    I just want to prevent my kids from reinstalling Minecraft from Windows Store!

7. Feniksrising

Feniksrising MDL Member

Nov 27, 2016

Spending a day tweaking Home only to have MS destroy everything.

8. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    #8 AveYo, Sep 24, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2018
    You can block Store via ifeo (works in home, too) - in command prompt (admin):
    Code:
    reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\WinStore.App.exe" /v Debugger /d NUL /f
    taskkill /im WinStore.App.exe /f

You can hinder all UWP applications (can't type in them and many will force-close including edge but core built-in ones will work: calc, calendar, settings):
    Code:
    reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\RuntimeBroker.exe" /v Debugger /d NUL /f
    taskkill /im RuntimeBroker.exe /f

You can block all UWP applications including built-in:
    Code:
    reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\ApplicationFrameHost.exe" /v Debugger /d NUL /f
    taskkill /im ApplicationFrameHost.exe /f

Undo (same order):
    Code:
    reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\WinStore.App.exe" /f
    reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\RuntimeBroker.exe" /f
    reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\ApplicationFrameHost.exe" /f

You can install Minecraft yourself and see what exe it launches, then block it specifically like above.

But you're a s**tty parent for not allowing your kids to play Minecraft, imho.

9. d5aqoëp

d5aqoëp MDL Addicted

Jan 19, 2017
    Why not install the upcoming LTSC version? Hehe

10. yousif

yousif MDL Member

Dec 14, 2013
    Thanks! It's school season that's why so I can unlock it again in weekends. Your method blocked even Settings so it didn't work as mentioned but thanks anyway.

11. halasz

halasz MDL Member

Jan 13, 2013
    #11 halasz, Sep 24, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
    You can just block it in the firewall. Go to Firewall > Advanced Settings > Outbound rules, enable the "Windows Store" rule (the private one is enough - you probably don't need domain) and then double click on it and set it to "Block the connection". Then when they try to access the Store they will get a "Check your internet connection" error and they can't download anything.

If you want to allow access just go to the same rule and disable it and they can access Store as normal but obviously you'd have to delete anything they downloaded afterwards if you didn't like it.

You could set them up as a child MS account and put their age as less than 7 (the age for Minecraft) but it wouldn't stop them downloading apps that only require age 3 (like OneNote or CandyCrush for example) so it is a pretty weak solution.

12. yousif

yousif MDL Member

Dec 14, 2013

13. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    There are line breaks between them and comments,ofc it will break settings if you run all lines (the ApplicationFrameHost one breaks all including settings) :p