How to display current typing language? [FIXED]

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Super Spartan, Oct 11, 2015.

1. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    #1 Super Spartan, Oct 11, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
    In Windows 7, when I switch the typing language using the ALT + shift on the keyboard, I can see in the taskbar there is an icon which says EN, RU, etc.

In Windows 10 I have to type to see which language is being typed, is there a way of getting that taskbar language indicator back?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    Control Panel -> Region & Language -> Keyboards & Languages.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Simple07

Simple07 MDL Addicted

Nov 15, 2012
    From Control Panel --> Clock, Language, and Region --> Language --> Add Language (you may have a choice of keyboards)

After adding the language, if your original setup is LTR (Left To Right) and you add an RTL (Arabic, Hebrew and Thai) keyboard, then:

Ctrl + Left Shift = Left align (Justify)
    Ctrl + Right Shift = Right align
    Alt + Left Shift = English or LTR language
    Alt + Right Shift = RTL language

So, if you are typing in English and would like to insert Arabic or Hebrew text, you press Alt+Right Shift, when done, press Alt+Left Shift and continue in English. But if you want to type in Arabic or Hebrew all the way, then you would press both Ctrl+right shift and Alt+Right shift to change both Language and direction..

4. Simple07

Simple07 MDL Addicted

Nov 15, 2012
    In word you would be able to have paragraphs that are LTR and others RTL, in the same page..

Unfortunately on this page, pressing RTL shifts the whole page!!! Example .... 11/10/2015

11\10\2015

The problem above, I typed 11 then 10 then 2015 in RTL but it has displayed the reverse...

Edit: Having saved the page it flipped to LTR any way.. May be it needs to be activated on the site server..

5. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    I just formatted again and noticed the icon for the current active language is there! Then when I used O&O ShutUp10 to disable all telemetry and input personalization the icon disappeared but no matter what I tried I can't get it back. Any ideas?

6. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
  7. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
  8. hb860

hb860 MDL Expert

May 7, 2010
  9. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
  10. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Even if you didn't 'see' that Language Icon, while using just the Win-Key + Space should show up the Selection Screen and just holding the Win-Key and hit the Space, the cursor will jump between all installed languages.

I had try on a few computers with W10, to repeat what you've done but couldn't, it works all times, and I could see that Language Icon. And that includes running O&O ShutUp 10!!

Maybe you had 'play' in your registry or use some other tools which 'adjusting' some system settings??!!

11. hb860

hb860 MDL Expert

May 7, 2010
  12. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    #12 Super Spartan, Oct 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
    I appreciate the testing man. We wanna try to nail this down but it is very complicated.

I installed the latest build of Windows 10 10240 I think, then the only tweaks I did were:

1- Install .NET Framework 3.5
    2- Edit registry settings to increase horizontal icon spacing width from -1250 to -1800
    3- Disable Fast Startup and turn off pagefile via powercfg -h off
    4- Disable NTFS Encryption and NTFS Compression
    5- Disable Paging Executive
    6- Installed all Microsoft Visual C++ from 2012 to 2015 (both x86 and x64 versions)
    7- Disabled Windows Defender and all its startup entries
    8- Ran the reg file to associate Windows Photo Viewer with the picture files so I can use it as the default photo viewer instead of the stupid Photos app
    9- Ran the following batch file to disable the bad tasks in Windows 10, please tell me if anything is wrong with them:

Code:
    schtasks /change /tn "Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser" /disable >nulschtasks /change /tn "Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\ProgramDataUpdater" /disable >nul
    schtasks /change /tn "Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\StartupAppTask" /disable >nul
    schtasks /change /tn "Microsoft\Windows\Autochk\Proxy" /disable >nul
    schtasks /change /tn "Microsoft\Windows\CloudExperienceHost\CreateObjectTask" /disable >nul
    schtasks /change /tn "Microsoft\Windows\Customer Experience Improvement Program\Consolidator" /disable >nul
    schtasks /change /tn "Microsoft\Windows\Customer Experience Improvement Program\KernelCeipTask" /disable >nul
    schtasks /change /tn "Microsoft\Windows\Customer Experience Improvement Program\UsbCeip" /disable >nul
    schtasks /change /tn "Microsoft\Windows\DiskDiagnostic\Microsoft-Windows-DiskDiagnosticDataCollector" /disable >nul
    schtasks /change /tn "Microsoft\Windows\DiskDiagnostic\Microsoft-Windows-DiskDiagnosticResolver" /disable >nul
    schtasks /change /tn "Microsoft\Windows\Feedback\Siuf\DmClient" /disable >nul
    schtasks /change /tn "Microsoft\Windows\Location\Notifications" /disable >nul
    schtasks /change /tn "Microsoft\Windows\Location\WindowsActionDialog" /disable >nul
    schtasks /change /tn "Microsoft\Windows\Maps\MapsToastTask" /disable >nul
    schtasks /change /tn "Microsoft\Windows\Maps\MapsUpdateTask" /disable >nul
    schtasks /change /tn "Microsoft\Windows\Mobile Broadband Accounts\MNO Metadata Parser" /disable >nul
    schtasks /change /tn "Microsoft\Windows\MUI\LPRemove" /disable >nul
    schtasks /change /tn "Microsoft\Windows\RemoteAssistance\RemoteAssistanceTask" /disable >nul
    schtasks /change /tn "Microsoft\Windows\RetailDemo\CleanupOfflineContent" /disable >nul
    schtasks /change /tn "Microsoft\Windows\Shell\FamilySafetyMonitor" /disable >nul
    schtasks /change /tn "Microsoft\Windows\Shell\FamilySafetyRefresh" /disable >nul
    schtasks /change /tn "Microsoft\Windows\TextServicesFramework\MsCtfMonitor" /disable >nul
    schtasks /change /tn "Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Battery Saver Deferred Install" /disable >nul

13. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    FIXED!!

I re-enabled these tasks that I had disabled before and now the text icon appears :)

Never gonna touch something I don't know in the future!!

There are the tasks that I re-enabled that I had disabled before:

schtasks /change /tn "Microsoft\Windows\MUI\LPRemove" /disable >nul
    schtasks /change /tn "Microsoft\Windows\TextServicesFramework\MsCtfMonitor" /disable >nul

Thank you so much Mr. Pisthai for your testing and mentioning what other stuff did I tweak, if it weren't for that, I wouldn't have thought of doublechecking

14. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    #14 pisthai, Oct 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    I really have no time for to do that all.

Just tell me: did the language change/Language Screen come up using Win-Key + Space, for sure at least one extra language need to be installed too? If that does work, you've just one choice, if you want the Laguage Icon back:
    • install Windows 10 again (clean)
    • change the settings one by one and test after changing and restart
    • same for the Batchfile, just run 0n command at the time and test

That would be the only way to find out what's triggers the disappearance of that Icon.

I never had such problem and I done several hundred installations of Windows 10 already. And I'm very carefully with system setings changes and do only one by one at the time as explained above! That said, if you like to find out the culprit, you'll have to do a clean install of 10 and start the testing as I explaine above.

Good luck.

15. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Good to see you got it!

Just remember: do one change at the time and test, not multiple! That would saves you a lot of time in the future!

16. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    and now for the first time the Windows + Space key works! Now I see what you were talking about and how it shows the languages. When I had those 2 tasks disabled, this keyboard shortcut did nothing.