How to do bios recovery With bootable USB stick if there is no post??

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Joe45, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Joe45

Joe45 MDL Junior Member

May 17, 2009
    #1 Joe45, Sep 28, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
    Everything in the title. I would like know how to boot with a bootable crisis recovery usb stick after a bad bios flash if there is no post screen?? :confused::confused:

2. Badboy68

Badboy68 MDL Novice

Sep 18, 2009
    I don't think you can..

I tried this myself, but no.. :(

-If your BIOS is detachable, you can have it flashed by a dealer, but my BIOS
    was soldered, so my mobo was trashed.. :(

3. Notam

Notam MDL Junior Member

Aug 2, 2009
    #3 Notam, Sep 28, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
    The same happened to me also . I had to change my mobo. Heard some bios have a fail safe options. If u disconnect all the devices form the mobo the bios search for a floppy drive. If it is so with your mobo u can try that.

4. twiz

twiz MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Every motherboard is different...
    You will need to look it up in the manual or go to the manufacturers website to answer that question.

Some have a double BIOS which you can use to recover...
    Others like my board have a recovery jumper. I pull the jumper off the stands and turn the PC on which will send it into recovery mode -- looking for a BIOS recovery file (.bin) on the first floppy available.

5. SirSilentBob

SirSilentBob MDL Senior Member

Jun 5, 2009
    Some boards also require that you are holding down a certain key combination on the keyboard to load a recovery file. When I first tried to manually mod my bios for my MSI board, (which I FAILED miserably at, lol) I had to plug in a FAT32 formatted flash drive with the bios file I wanted to recover with named to AMIBIOS.ROM and hold down a key combination. When I did this, it loaded the file from the flash drive, beeped, rebooted, and all was well.

It was fast and easy, the only dumb thing is the key combination to do this for my board was buried so deep in the tech documents from MSI, it took me almost a half hour to find out what keys to press to allow the 30 second recovery cycle to happen! That, and MSI's bios recovery guide kept telling me to place the recovery file on a floppy disk. Obviously, they had not updated their guide in a while since my bios uses a 4 megabyte file, and clearly will not work from floppy! So don't give up and don't trash the board! Chances are you can recover just as I did, it just might take time to find the right key combination to recover. It should be noted that I recovered when my board was really bricked and dead. I had no video, no beeps, nothing. It was a pure zombie till it got the right keypresses. It is also worth noting that some boards that might require you to use a PS/2 keyboard, because I guess the recovery routines have support for USB mass storage as well as floppy and CD rom support, but do not have additional support for usb keyboards. Makes sense since this portion of the recovery code is usually on a rom or non-writable segment of the flash, and they need to save space to give you more recovery options.

Obviously you have access to a second computer or laptop, which is always good, you can try to find the method to recover your board and ask for help. :)

What make/model of motherboard are you using? Maybe we can help you find the right key combination for you to press to recover.

If it is an AMI bios, most of the time you just grab the latest bios file, rename it to amibios.rom, and put it on your recovery media, and then switch the jumper or press the right key combination, and power up and it will recover just fine.

6. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    If the bootblock of the broken BIOS is still intact you might be able to use the recovery facilities built-in in the board.

For my board this works by inserting a floppy (or an USB Stick) that has a BIOS on it and pressing 3x ENTER right after powering up the PC. This starts the bootblock-recovery and auto-flashes the BIOS on the disk (or stick) with the flasher thats included with the board itself.

The method is manufacturer/board dependent though, so youd have to check the manual of your particular board for the proper procedure...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Joe45

Joe45 MDL Junior Member

May 17, 2009
    #7 Joe45, Sep 29, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
    (OP)
    Well, actually i dont have the manufacturer manual ( i have an acer notebook, 7720G model) and the only recovery method avaible is alt + f10, but its only an partition recovery, not bios ..
    EDIT:The bios recovery keys were fn+esc xD

8. levonisyas

levonisyas MDL Novice

Nov 4, 2008
    #8 levonisyas, Nov 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  9. ТшслЯ

ТшслЯ MDL Novice

Oct 8, 2009
    Here (w w w. biosman.com/biosrecovery.html) you can read how to

10. urie

urie Moderator