How to Downgrade from Pro to Core?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by brokenlax, Nov 15, 2012.

1. brokenlax

brokenlax MDL Novice

Feb 17, 2010
    Is there a way to downgrade from the Pro version to the Core version?

I couldn't find the Core ISO anywhere so I installed my computer using the Pro version, but now I need to activate and all I have is an OEM key to the Core version.

Is there a method to downgrade or a legitimate link to download the core version iso?

2. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    #2 EFA11, Nov 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  3. bootstap

bootstap MDL Member

Mar 25, 2012
    what's the size of your pro iso?

4. brokenlax

brokenlax MDL Novice

Feb 17, 2010
    I already made a previous thread on it but, when installing it doesn't give me a chance to enter a key. This is laptop so the installer probably grabs the oem key. on the ei.cfg if I change the version to CORE I get the key mismach error, yet when I change it to professional it installs without a problem. When it's untouched it also gives me the error.

2.69GB

5. bootstap

bootstap MDL Member

Mar 25, 2012
    ok.
    when u added a ei.cfg file, did u get a screen which let u choose between pro an core?

6. brokenlax

brokenlax MDL Novice

Feb 17, 2010
    #6 brokenlax, Nov 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
    Nope.

Version = Pro = Installs no problem = Can't activate because no key

Version = OEM = Key doesn't match = Installation exit

Untouched = Same results as OEM

Weird, the iso on the torrent is 3.33GB and my Pro iso is 2.69. Perhaps Windows 8 upgrade version isos are different from retail releases. I got my windows 8 pro upgrade iso from the $15 offer.

7. bootstap

bootstap MDL Member

Mar 25, 2012
    #7 bootstap, Nov 15, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
    ok. that means that u can't activate the core edition on ur iso.

so
    1. download an rtm version.
    2. add ei.cfg file.
    3. try fresh install. if it doesn't work then go step 4.
    4. navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\Windows NT\CurrentVersion.
    5. set the key EditionID to Core
    6. set the key ProductName to Windows 8
    7. launch setup.
    8. choose windows Core edition.
    9. choose upgrade.

good luck

8. c3po

c3po MDL Junior Member

Feb 12, 2009
    There are different ISO's.
    If you use the upgrade ones and not MSDN/DreamSpark, you have only Pro version inside Install.wim.
    Check install.wim size.

9. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. brokenlax

brokenlax MDL Novice

Feb 17, 2010
    Got core installed but now it won't let me activate. Oh boy. "THE ACTIVATION SERVER HAS DETERMINED THE SPECIFIED PRODUCT KEY HAS BEEN BLOCKED"

Can someone throw me a bone?

11. bootstap

bootstap MDL Member

Mar 25, 2012
    good.

have u bought a key? or u r using setup one?

12. at0607

at0607 MDL Novice

Sep 21, 2011
    Can you post the link to the HP version of Windows 8? I just want to try install it on my laptop with help of NBDMIFIT Version 1.18 (My laptop came with Free Dos, it can't be flashed with modded BIOS (Slic 2.1 for W7 activation, of course) so I used HP DMI Tools to do the trick). And while playing around with NBDMIFIT Version 1.18 I saw options to set Windows 8 as factory OS. So I think it would work if I install a HP OEM version of W8.

13. brokenlax

brokenlax MDL Novice

Feb 17, 2010
    I'm back to the core version and I'm trying to use the OEM core key but it won't activate.

14. bootstap

bootstap MDL Member

Mar 25, 2012
    ur oem key legally bought is blocked?
    in that case u have 2 solutions:
    1. upgrade to pro version and activate it with kms server. (no kms activation for core)
    2. upgrade to wmc and get a free key to activate with from microsoft.

15. brokenlax

brokenlax MDL Novice

Feb 17, 2010
    It's an OEM key that came with the computer. And I would much rather try to get this resolved legally since it would be a waste to have a legit key lying around and unused.

16. bootstap

bootstap MDL Member

Mar 25, 2012
    ok let's try.

type on elevated cmd:

slmgr -ipk XXXXX-XXXXX-...

XXXXX-XXXXX-... your oem key.

and tell me what it says.

17. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    I believe I heard that all OEM have individual keys too. I didn't continue to find out if it was a fact or not, but I backed up my key and printed it just in case it is fact heh

18. brokenlax

brokenlax MDL Novice

Feb 17, 2010
    At this point I've pretty much given up. Gave MS a call and was transferred a few times after tediously reading out the key number by number and letter by letter (D for delta, "is that Z sir?" "No, its D, DEE!", etc) and the final answer I got was to call my laptop manufacturer, which is Acer. I got placed on hold forever during the 3 calls and now I'm just going to give up and use my remaining coupon to buy a $15 Windows Pro.

Hopefully deleting the recovery partition and such won't didn't my warranty.

But if anyone still have an answer on how to activate the core edition using an OEM key (Windows auto detects it), let me know. I'll be more than glad to hear you out. Maybe in the future when more guys get Windows 8 computers this will be resolved.

19. 5856898

5856898 MDL Junior Member

Aug 18, 2012
    As I stated in your previous thread, you need to utilize RW-Everything tool to find out your OEM key first, then follow below steps to activate your Core clean install on your OEM pc. I've done the same on Core and PRO, all worked fine...
    1, Install RW-Everything tool v5.2.(You can get it from MDL)
    2, Go to ACPI-MSDM table then you'll find your OEM key.
    3, Run CMD as admin and type slmgr /upk to uninstall your previous key.
    4, slmgr /ipk xxxxx(your oem key) and make sure your internet is connected at the mean time.

20. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    @5856898

AFAIK, you can do it for Pro, but not for Core. Because OEMs use CoreSingleLanguage SKU for deploying, whereas in MSDN we can only find Core SKU.