How to enable Aero glass on windows 8.1

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by endbase, Feb 25, 2014.

1. daveo76

daveo76 MDL Expert

Nov 9, 2009
    To Painkiller aero theme

That doesn't work for me. I follow the instructions and it runs in the task bar but when I right click on set up and info nothing comes up. I got UltraUXThemePatcher 2.3 installed. Using Windows 8.1 Update 1 64-Bit

2. cuteee

cuteee MDL Guru

Oct 13, 2012
    Usually in right GUI it's not work.

3. Painkiller

Painkiller MDL Member

Jul 28, 2009
  4. glasskuter

glasskuter MDL Novice

May 5, 2013
    Bigmuscle, if you read this can you shed some light on why berlios.de website is down and if it will be returning? I went to look at the support info on Aeroglass and found it kaput.

5. tosbsas

tosbsas MDL Junior Member

Jan 6, 2011
  6. SolidSonicTH

SolidSonicTH MDL Member

May 16, 2011
    #46 SolidSonicTH, May 20, 2014
    Last edited: May 20, 2014
    I was going to try out this tool but after reading the developer's replies to this thread I'm more unwilling now.

Reading the FAQ on his site already kind of skewed the wrong way because the wording was somewhat belligerent against people who were just interested in buying a product they liked and his reactions to the posts in this thread only served to confirm that it's definitely a "have your cake and eat it too" affair (that is offer a premium, unrestricted version that comes at a cost but also mark it up as a "donation" so you can decide when someone's paid enough to remove those restrictions). He's getting way too defensive in here for someone with "good" intentions.

I do object to this post, though. I think what he did is a decent creation. It's my opinion that telling someone what they made isn't that cool just because you're mad at them is unfair to the product (people with questionable motives can still make worthwhile things) and a knee-jerk reaction. It accomplished something MS was trying to bury for no good reason. However the developer is arrogant and unflinching despite everyone pointing out how flawed and questionable his marketing strategy is. If he'd just stop trying to push this the way he is and just revise the direction instead of having this crummy "look-but-don't-touch" model while dangling it in front of you for a "donation" at a CHANCE of getting what you want.

I've got a problem with how he's running his show, not what he's making. Fix that and it's no longer a big deal.

7. bigmuscle

bigmuscle MDL Junior Member

Jan 23, 2013
    Could you please explain what is exactly wrong with the wording on my website? If there is some wrong statement, something aggresive or something attacting, please tell me, so I can change the formulation to the better one. But I guess that whole problem just lies in "hey, I want to get your private software but I can't so I will only complain as much as possible".

Quoting shawnsdada is something... errm.. weird?, because he's one of those who's trying to denigrate my product everywhere (look e.g. on Neowin and his lying posts that my Aero Glass effect does not look like Aero Glass effect at all or this post "You've admitted that you purposely added all that to push people to donate for the nag-free version" although I many times said that I don't want donations from people who are interested in getting nag-free version only... isn't it weird? I say something and people obtrude me that I said the opposite.

8. SolidSonicTH

SolidSonicTH MDL Member

May 16, 2011
    Well let me answer your question with a question: if people truly "donate" to this project with no assumption of getting a key back from you, then are you working towards a public release of this so-called "private" software or is it just going to stay in the same stasis of development regardless of how much donation money is received?

Describe what your donation model is actually contributing to and convince everyone here that money spent without the assumption of receiving something back still goes towards a worthwhile cause.

9. shawnsdada

shawnsdada MDL Junior Member

Jun 24, 2013
    Never said I was mad at the guy and nothing I've posted would imply that I am

He implies this is a true Aero Glass. Use it next to Vista or Windows 7 and you can see the obvious differences. It's nowhere near the real Aero Glass effect. Seriously. Compare the two and ask yourself if he really deserves a "donation" for it. Especially when it won't fully work without the symbol files that he doesn't make. He's making money partly off work that isn't even his. If it was fully written by him and didn't depend on any Microsoft-made files that need to be downloaded or he would be more clear on how his little donation system works, I would never have called him out.

No anger form me at all. The other way around actually. He's been shady about it from the beginning and I'm not the only one to call him out on it. He was also called out on Neowin by someone else and I just confirmed what they had to say over there. Look at his attitude towards anyone asking questions about how the "donation" part of it works. Never a straight answer and goes right towards having an attitude and acting like he doesn't understand the question. Shady

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. bigmuscle

bigmuscle MDL Junior Member

Jan 23, 2013
    Look, I don't need to convince anyone. I already explained everything, directly, clearly, always straight answer. The problem is that some people (as above) are pushing me to answer something which is not true at all. And if I don't answer what they want, they're convincing me that I said something which I didn't.

So just quickly again... and clearly... this software is private thing and it will stay private thing. At the beginning, some people contacted me and they wanted to donated me some money. But they didn't expect anything in return. When the software was fully finished, I send them unlimited version as a form of 'thank you' (but they didn't expect it). Then, I was asked by some users to publish my PayPal info on my website, so I did it. Then people started to complain that they must donate to receive full version, many of them started to donate 0.01€ and they complained that they donated and I must give them full version. That's all the story, nothing more, nothing less.

Yes, I know that some people want me to say that I'm pushing users to donate to get nag-free version. But I will never say it, because it is not true. The copyright notice was there log time before any donation was expected. And the donation were just initiated by users, not by me. Yeah, I know that now you start me calling arrogant etc. again, because I didn't provide answer that you expected.

Then, please explain why it looks exactly the same as glass effect in Win8 RP, Win7 and WinVista :confused::p

It FULLY (=provides aero glass effect) works without symbols, so don't lie here.

You can always create your own Aero Glass tool. But I doubt that you are even able to do it, because (according to your sentence) you don't even know what symbols are. Symbol files just contains the memory address of the structure of Windows DLL files and they are need only if some update breaks the expected binary pattern in DWM (so I know where my code must be exactly injected into) until I fix it. The complete code about occlusion context, glass safety zones, blur effect, visual drawing were needed to be completely reimplemented. Now you know what you need to reimplement so you can start with it...

11. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    #51 endbase, May 20, 2014
    Last edited: May 21, 2014
    (OP)
    I've started this post to ask if somebody knows if there is other software to require glass effect in windows 8.1 now it's a discussion about the integrity of a person that has made a tool i don't even want to use in the first place :p

So why should this topic not been closed ore at least get back on topic !

BTW I was fidling around yesterday with windowlinds it seems that you can set the transporancy for start menu and the taskbar and frames !!

Greetz base

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. PwnMaster

PwnMaster MDL Novice

Jun 24, 2014
    #52 PwnMaster, Jun 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2014
    Moderator note: Sorry, we don't support this kind of release.