How to enable autorun/autoplay on Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by tuvi123, Nov 19, 2009.

1. VIKSUN

VIKSUN MDL Novice

Jul 17, 2012
    Can't find the key: NoDriveTypeAutoRun in specifyd location.

Can't find the key in: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policie s\Explorer
    The only keys in there is:
    * ForceActiveDesktopOn
    * NoActiveDesktop
    * NoActiveDesktopChanges

And I can't find the key in: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policie s\Explorer
    Only a (Default) - REG_SZ (String)
    Data: (Value not set)

MDL_forum_How to enable autorun_autoplay on Windows 7.jpg
    Conclusion: Can't find the keys you are referring to, pleas help !

/ Thanks in advance
    / VIKSUN

2. VIKSUN

VIKSUN MDL Novice

Jul 17, 2012
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. Kouryu

Kouryu MDL Senior Member

Jan 19, 2011
    guys, this is such a simple fix... STOP SCREWING AROUND WITH THE REGISTRY
    clicking on "reset" in the autoplay settings dialog DOES NOT WORK

first, launch group policy editor... just click on Start, then type "gpedit.msc" in the search box and press enter

You will see two different policy groups... you need to set them for each one to ensure VMware doesn't screw around with your autoplay!
    -Under "Computer Configuration", expand "Administrative Templates" then expand "Windows Components", you should then see "AutoPlay Policies", click that (it looks like a folder)
    -double click on "Turn off Autoplay"
    -Select "Disabled" and click OK
    -double click on "Turn off Autoplay for non-volume devices"

Do the same for the "User Configuration" policy group:
    -Under "User Configuration" expand "Administrative Templates" then expand "Windows Components", you should then see "AutoPlay Policies", click that (it looks like a folder)
    -double click on "Turn off Autoplay"
    -double click on "Turn off Autoplay for non-volume devices"

It should fix autoplay. If not, reboot and it should work immediately.
    Yes, the setting should be "disabled" because you're disabling the disable ("turn off")... it's a double negative! Someone who said the registry value 128 is to disable autoplay in this thread is WRONG! 128 is the same as what I described here!

This fix always works and I have VMware Player installed. For each version update, which is a fresh install of VMware, I go back into Group Policy editor each time to reset those policies (simply just setting it back to "Not Configured", clicking Apply, then clicking on "Disable" again). This ensures the settings are refreshed and correct in the registry, in case VMware goes screwing around with the autoplay settings.

4. burgtt

burgtt MDL Novice

Jan 20, 2010
    Hello Sam...i,-am very glad with your solution,works great to me,thnx ...John.

5. snuffbeans

snuffbeans MDL Novice

Mar 19, 2014
    Thanks For The Help

Thanks for the help. The HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE had the line. I deleted it and my problem is solved. Finally.

6. nobrun

nobrun MDL Novice

Apr 28, 2014
    Thank you very much tuvi123. I've been wracking my brains for months trying to fix my autorun issue. I even went to the 'experts' at Microsoft but nothing I read about fixing the issue worked. Thanks to you, this 2009 post worked great for me. It is very relevant today - it may be the only one.
    I went into HKEY_CURRENT_USER and deleted NoDriveAutoRun (mine wasn't NoDriveTypeAutoRun for some reason). Perfect.