How to End Service Task on Startup?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by MonarchX, May 6, 2017.

1. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    I hate all AppX-related bloatware and now that I've removed almost all of it, I want to keep AppX Deployment Service (AppXSVC) disabled and enable it later if needed. However, doing so will semi-break the Metro Start UI. Metro UI will still come up with AppXSVC disabled after a restart, but the menu will be "greyed-out" and not use-able. I think this is only because AppXSVC starts AppX programs and services when OS loads. One of these services is ShellExperienceHost and it heavily influences Metro UI behavior. However, If I disable AppXSVC, reboot, then I can still make Metro UI work by ending ShellExperienceHost process, which in turn, forces it to reload and once it does - Metro Start UI works as usual.

I would rather have a StartUp item that restarts ShellExperienceHost then to have AppXSVC set to Manual allowing it to start at any time. How do I make that happen?

NOTE: ShellExperienceHost needs to restart and NOT be shut down, which disables Explorer and requires a PC restart.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami MDL Addicted

Mar 15, 2014
    I can terminate it and it will start by itself, it does not disable explorer. Do you have these tweaks on?

reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer" /v "DesktopProcess" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f
    reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced" /v "SeparateProcess" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f

For the record, you have just solved my problem, my Start is greyed out too, not that I use it too much, but thanks to you I know, how to fix it. ;)

3. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    Nope, what do they do?

I found a solution, but its incomplete. ShellExperienceHost.exe killing has to be delayed because it starts in a little bit after OS loads and my CMD file with "Taskkill /IM ShellExperienceHost.exe /F" executes itself immediately (without any ill effects). I need to add a delay and don't know how - researching...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. TairikuOkami

Mar 15, 2014
    #4 TairikuOkami, May 6, 2017
    Last edited: May 6, 2017
    "All instances of Windows Explorer run in one process and the Desktop and Taskbar run in a separate process."

I have just created a task and it works. Just setup the task to start after logon.

5. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    Sweet! Thanks!

I also found out that there is like a secret location for StartUp items such as Stardock Fences and Explorer.exe itself. I want to keep Fences, but prevent any related DLL files from loading.

6. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    It is not working - my OS is setup to boot quickly without the default 5-second delay... I also get the Snap-In error...

Do I need to have those 2 reg tweaks applied for your task file to work?

7. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    I set it to have a 5-second delay and now it won't run at all... Just says Ready...

8. TairikuOkami

Mar 15, 2014
    I have it setup like this:

Attached Files:

9. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    Exactly how I have it. It only runs if I do not add any delay options and in that case it runs before ShellExperienceHost.exe loads... Do you use the StartUp tweak?

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Serialize]
    "Startupdelayinmsec"=dword:00000000

10. TairikuOkami

Mar 15, 2014
    Yes I use that one. I have tried a few restarts and I had to add 1 min delay, because sometimes it executes too soon.

Attached Files:

11. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    1 minute? I am not waiting that much to start gaming! I think a desktop shortcut will do for this one - gotta double-click on things to get somewhere anyway!