How to extract msi file for the newest WL Photo Gallery update?

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by Aj6627, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Aj6627

Aj6627 MDL Novice

Jan 28, 2012
    Does anyone know how to extract the install files(msi or whatever they are) from the full install package for the newest Windows Live Essentials update?

I want the latest Photo Gallery update for the collage features, but I am not ready to lose Mesh. (the update removes Mesh and replaces it with Skydrive when updating the other software)

Thanks for any help!

2. Simpuhl

Simpuhl MDL Senior Member

Aug 8, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Aj6627

Aj6627 MDL Novice

Jan 28, 2012
    Sorry if my post was confusing. What I am trying to do is extract the msi/install file(s) for photo gallery from the wlsetup-all exe file that the whole essentials package comes in.

I don't have the msi file, I am trying to extract it or whatever the photo gallery install file(s) is from the exe file.

4. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    extract wlsetup-all.exe with universal extractor once extracted go to wlsetup-all\.rsrc\PACKAGE and add .cab file extension to all the files then you can extract the cab files.

Or Use resource hacker to open up wlsetup-all.exe

In the left hand tree browse to PACKAGE Right click PACKAGE, save PACKAGE resources Save to a new temp folder Eg. D:\temp\package.rc

This will output a whole lot of .bin files These are just cab files so we need to do a mass rename “ren *.bin *.cab”

Once done select all cab files and extract to a new sub folder \extracted In \extracted you will see all the msi, msp and 7z files you need)