How to extract SMbios data from saved SPI IC image and insert into factory ROM file?

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by optarix12, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    If you can open & edit correctly then your AMIBCP is ok. If it fails to open rom or has undefined fields then you got to try another version.
    For Aption 4 I've been using AMIBCP v4.55.0074.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. optarix12

optarix12 MDL Novice

Jan 5, 2017
    Thank you Flipp3r,

I have a slightly different version, 4.53.0050, but was able to find a 4.55.0070. Sadly, it had the same results, so I guess the unique info really is toast. What crappy luck.

Interestingly, when I looked at the corrupt ROM backup with UEFItool, it showed 4 volumes. When I look at the new/fresh image, there were only 3 volumes, with a gap after the first called "padding". Hex editor confirmed its completely blank. This second volume in the corrupt image seemed to contain a bunch of stored variables, including that OfflineUniqueIDRandomSeed I mentioned. Why is that area which once had data empty space now? After restoring the fresh image and configuring the various BIOS settings I imaged the chip again and it's still blank. Why is the system no longer using it?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm trying to learn as much as I can after going into the deep end like I have. I appreciate the info!

3. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    I've never really delved too far into the bios/uefi & it's structure. Don't really care.
    Really, the only thing I do is use amibcp to change settings for OS & changelogo utility.
    Never had the need to edit/update any modules even though I keep an eye on UBU tool & UEFItool...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. optarix12

optarix12 MDL Novice

Jan 5, 2017
    #24 optarix12, Jan 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
    (OP)
    Ah, yeah most people seem to have a very specific goal in mind with most of these tools. I'm really curious about that padding thing so maybe someone else will stroll by this thread and let us both know whats up!

5. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009