How to fit the BIOS ROM on floppy?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by digitech, Jan 15, 2009.

1. digitech

digitech MDL Member

Jun 25, 2007
    This might sound dumb but how are you guys flashing your BIOS from the floppy?

What I did was create a DOS boot disk and then copy over AFUDOS to the same disk. Now how can I fit a ROM file or even backup the original to the floppy? There isn't enough room from looking at the size of the ROM.

This is very embarrassing.. :eek:

2. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    two floppys. one to boot with and one with the afudos and bios file on it. Just boot to dos, switch floppys and run afudos..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. digitech

digitech MDL Member

Jun 25, 2007
    But how can a 2MB ROM file fit onto a 1.44 floppy? :confused:

4. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. digitech

digitech MDL Member

Jun 25, 2007
    It's no problem..

And this will work that same as using a floppy?

6. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Yes. You can use a rewritable cd..cd is probably a guarantee..the usb has been used a lot around here..I don't.

I usually make a boot cd and put the files to it when needed..

7. digitech

digitech MDL Member

Jun 25, 2007
    What do I exactly download? There are so many different files on that site?

8. digitech

digitech MDL Member

Jun 25, 2007
    #8 digitech, Jan 16, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2009
    (OP)
    Well I tried using a bootable cd but it doesn't want to work.
    What I did was download a bootable cd iso and add the ROM and AFUDOS to it. Then I reboot my pc and it does load but i can't access the r: where AFUDOS and the ROM is. It says invalid drive specification. During booting there is a message in dos saying "no drives found"...." no valid cdrom device drivers selected".

Anyone else have this issue with a newer motherboard?

LOL, forget about a flashing a modded ROM, I can't even flash the original.

Maybe a bootable thumbdrive will work?

This is ridiculous. :mad:

EDIT: In order for me to create a bootable thumbdrive I need to format it to FAT16 but I don't have that option when I right click on the thumbdrive > format. It only shows FAT32. Now what can I do? Should I format it from a command prompt like this format <drive letter> /fs:fat?

EDIT 2: None of the above worked either. WTF!! Finally I downloaded the HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool. Formatted the USB thumbdrive with it and copied over AFUDOS and the original Asus 1702 ROM. It booted and flashed without any problems. Now I will try a modded ROM. I hope this thing works.