How to get broadband connection after format??

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by Tito, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    I have to format my pc, as there are some problems arise. But i have a broadband connection........ after formatting I should lose the settings of it.

I only know the user name and password of it. The isp changes my ip address from the default and i know that they give me a dynamic ip.

Then what steps should i take after formatting to get back my connection???

Please reply soon, as I have to format it as soon as possible......

2. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    I see, you have a really long way to go.....
    Lets start by trying to find out what you know & what you have...

You know little = problems
    You have what connection (USB mode, just modem, router etc)?
    How can anybody help you when you do not describe your situation?

sebus

3. catdog215

catdog215 MDL Senior Member

Oct 21, 2009
    if you happen to do a clean installation and install all drivers, then you should get your connection back.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. groovesection

groovesection MDL Novice

Aug 27, 2009
    #4 groovesection, Dec 2, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
    unplug your internet cable from the pc (ethernet/usb etc)
    do the format

if you use a ethernet cable..
    once you have finished the format simply plug the cable back in and you will be back online :D
    your router will be recognized as its your default gateway to the net and it will work as it did before :D

if you use a USB cable.
    you will have to install the drivers from the CD that came from your ISP to get back online

5. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007

Well explained and covers all :)

6. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Thanks, I finally able to get it........ after formatting I just plug in the cable in my nic, create a new connection wizard, give user name and password and voila :-{{ it works............

7. icewater

icewater MDL Novice

Dec 3, 2009
    Download you NIC drivers before you format, just so you have them. Most modems store your ISP's user/pw nowadays. You could always call them to get that info too.

8. Whiznot

Whiznot MDL Member

Nov 5, 2009
    If you are unsure concerning the steps necessary to reinstall Windows download the Tweaking Companion PDF from the Tweak Guides site. You need to have your drivers handy before you start the installation. The Tweaking Companion explains the correct installation order of drivers. If you would like an easy method to install Windows updates and tweak settings download Autopatcher and run apup.exe--the resulting apup folder can be copied to a thumb drive. Run Autopatcher.exe before installing drivers.