How to get round this start up problem

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by toe471, Dec 4, 2011.

1. toe471

toe471 MDL Novice

Dec 4, 2011
    thanks for your advice hbhb!!

I have 1 2gb hard drive which 17gb is partitioned out to windows 7 and the rest is data which has alot of data on it as well, just a couple of questions?

1. Can I install fresh over the RC version of windows?
    2. Uninstall the service pack i have now and put the newer version on it?
    3. I cant really format that 17gb space as last time i did that it formatted the whole disk space plus partition which i had told it to format the 17gb but instead the whole bloody alot!:mad:
    4. Which would be the best version of windows 7 to d/l from the torrents? (cant make the same mistake twice)

2. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    anytime dude, best scenario is to have your data backed up on an external HD if possible.
    1. if you mean install in the same partition your win 7 rc lives, YES, the new win7 will format and install over, however it will keep windows.old that will have the old
    2.If you are installing new, you dont need to uninstall anything
    3.When you say 17GB partitioned to win7, you mean it has both OS and your data like pictures,misic and the whole jumbalaya? if you have all in there , all will be gone (not all true as u ll have windows. old) still i will seriously consider splitting OS from data
    4.Install win 7 ultimate 64 bits SERVICE PACK 1 included,

Take your time man, if u have an external HD handy , back your data .

3. toe471

toe471 MDL Novice

Dec 4, 2011
    just refering back to 3 again?

The 17gb is OS ONLY! I have no files on there just all the windows 7 stuff really, I partitioned it off so I could split the OS up as against all the music, films, photos of family etc so thats why im crapping it a bit regarding formatting because windows seems to like erasing all on the drive? lol

Maybe best if i get my new windows 7 and simple just install fresh over the old that way like you say it will erase the windows files and not took mine.

4. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    As long as you chose the right partition which in your case will be where the 17GB lives, you will be good man, however I understand the hesitation that is why an external HD is good to have if possible or some type of back up.oh, I think I said it enough, my bad dawg:D

5. toe471

toe471 MDL Novice

Dec 4, 2011
    haha!:biggrin:

Right ok then, I will install (not format) the new OS on the 17gb only and that way will not touch the rest. This way windows will not eraser nothing only the files on that partitcular drive.

Im now downloading "Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Untouched x86 & x64".........Is this the right version I should be getting or shall I get one of the pre activated ones?

6. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    Get a clean version, untouched that is from here at MDL, also make sure you get one that has SP1 included.
    Download Daz loader , and that is all will need to get going.

Forget about those custom OS, pre activated, Hal or none of that, just a virgin version will do:D

7. toe471

toe471 MDL Novice

Dec 4, 2011
    Ok once again thanks for the good advice!

This link from the page sounds quite good, Windows 7 SP1 Media Refresh Digital River Direct Links (5/12/2011 new releases with SP1 included

Im dreading Re-setting up my htpc again as i have it set up with my amp and its a nightmare configuring all the sound through DTS:(

Can you reccomend good codecs to use? think that shark is not so bad?

8. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    Link is good, just make sure u get 64bits. I will let someone else speak to the htpc and codec. My set up in that area is really simple , someone else will speak to that.

9. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #29 Daz, Dec 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    You could try opening command prompt as an admin and using this command:
    Code:
    wusa /uninstall /kb:976932
    The other method is to go to control panel, select to uninstall a program, click view install updates and then select to uninstall SP1 RC from there.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. toe471

toe471 MDL Novice

Dec 4, 2011
    Ok daz, we have opened a new tin of worms here!! lol

So if I have the service pack RC1, uninstall it then do i just download a new version of sp1 from mircosoft there?

11. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Correct. If you do that, install the loader and then revalidate online then you should be genuine.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. toe471

toe471 MDL Novice

Dec 4, 2011
    Daz, I have just tryed removing SP1 through command prompt and it tells me that the update is not installed on this computer???

Any more ideas??? lol:rolleyes:

13. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
  14. toe471

toe471 MDL Novice

Dec 4, 2011
    ok will give it a shot, basically it does not repair but installs over the old version replacing the windows files? is that right? just hoping i dont loose the files on the shared partition as its a 2TB, 17gb to windows 7 the other is where files are stored. o_O

15. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    That's right. You shouldn't lose any files but it can take longer to install compared to a fresh install.

16. toe471

toe471 MDL Novice

Dec 4, 2011
    just a thought? would I still have to install all my codecs and drivers again cos its tricky bizness installing and setting this htpc up and configuring DTS out though sp/dif?

Do you do any good codecs by the way daz and can install? :p

17. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    I don't think you lose any codecs, but I can't be sure as I've never tested it.

The only codec I use is CoreAVC and if something doesn't play with CoreAVC fully installed then I just use VLC.

18. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    Keep us posted Toe, you in good hand with Daz man coz he da man:D

19. toe471

toe471 MDL Novice

Dec 4, 2011
    Daz and yourself rock da house dude!!!!!:biggrin:

I use media player classic to watch blurays as you can mess around with the screen formats and that, shark codecs has been ok to use as apposed to ffdshow as its full of ads.

Basically its just shopping round to see whats the best and does the job really i suppose?:rolleyes: