How to get the classic Start Menu back in Win 8 RTM?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by debin, Aug 24, 2012.

1. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I had used ViStart on Developer Preview and had several problem also wasn't able for to configure as I like to have the Start Menu. That's done with Classic Start Menu 3.x and now 3.6 for Windows 8 very well.

For sure not everybody will like that or that, it's personal what someone like or not and that's good. What would be the world if everybody loves or hate the exact same things?o_O

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. bk109

bk109 MDL Senior Member

Aug 12, 2012
    Well,it'll definitely be simpler XD
    I did link it because some people just are a bit hesitant to play with ClassicShell and so they can use it instead to get the good ol' start menu. As for the bugs, this version should be better,but from the 5 minutes of using it,I noticed that ViStart still doesn't play well with a taskbar with quicklaunch (Yes,I'm one of those people that still want to have it around XD),because it still covers the first 2 or 3 icons from it.

3. pendularium

pendularium MDL Novice

Aug 25, 2012
    I have tried Start8, ViStart, and Classic Shell (in that order).

Start8 looked nice visually, but didn't really give the traditional start menu functionality and seemed somewhat buggy.

ViStart certainly looked the part, but if I remember correctly, it didn't even allow for a right click on 'Computer' to bring up the properties option that would allow navigation to the Control Panel\System and Security\System screen, and there were several other little things like that which made me dislike it.

Classic Shell needs a bit of tweaking to look and function how I want it to, but the beauty of it is that it's customizable in the extreme. With the exception of the placement of the little user picture that half way sticks off the top of the start menu in Windows 7 (with Aero enabled), it mimics both the form and function of previous start menus. In fact, it's probably an improvement in that you have even more options for tweaking.

So for me, I would have to say that Classic Shell is currently the best choice for start menu resurrection. I used a tutorial from 'Tweaking with Vishal' entitled "Download Classic Shell Skin to Get Windows 7 Look-Like Start Menu and Start Button in Windows 8" which gives you the windows 7 start menu look and logo so the only tweaking you have to do is to customize the links to match your preferences or current Windows start menu.

4. moderate

moderate MDL Guru

Aug 31, 2009
    I solved it this way.
    The main idea is, that user could be able to customize all settings and icons at his workplace:
    Final_Stage.jpg
    I also made a nice pack containing about 15 custom mods, which forces Windows 8 to behave like Windows 7 (no EXE or DLL mods, just nice workarounds).
    I can post a link if anybody is interested.

5. steven4554

steven4554 MDL Expert

Jul 12, 2009
  6. moderate

moderate MDL Guru

Aug 31, 2009
    Did they already removed the dependency of their solution to skip Metro a boot on the option displaying their Start menu?

7. steven4554

steven4554 MDL Expert

Jul 12, 2009
    No, the option to skip the Start Screen, and go straight to the desktop is still there.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. moderate

moderate MDL Guru

Aug 31, 2009
    I meant something else:
    The "Skip Metro" option didn't worked when the "show Start menu" option was disabled.

9. Boyfriend

Boyfriend MDL Senior Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Sure. If it will not auto start (show start menu), it can't 'Skip Metro' :cool:

10. myhken

myhken Experienced MDL Tester

Feb 28, 2010
  11. moderate

moderate MDL Guru

Aug 31, 2009
    But these are two difference things, "Skip Metro" is done by system service, while Start menu is regular EXE file...

12. moderate

moderate MDL Guru

Aug 31, 2009
    nice kid, is she your daughter? :)

BTW: Could you enable Skip Metro option without displaying Start Menu as I wrote above? Thanks. :)

13. juan71287

juan71287 MDL Novice

Aug 14, 2012
    Hey guys, how can I get this to look like the WINDOWS 7 image? start01.jpg

14. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    It's nice to see that they've made Start8 into an actual start menu now and not a smaller "Modern UI" menu.

15. naseap

naseap MDL Senior Member

Jul 25, 2009
    I just tried the Start8 and after using the Metro style of Windows I don't think I like the old start menu anymore. I never thought I would think this but I like the new Metro style of Windows. JMHO

16. freestart

freestart MDL Novice

Mar 8, 2008
    Hi,

please I am interested, thanks!

Best Regards

17. soulasassin

soulasassin MDL Novice

Aug 31, 2012
    probably because on non touchscreen systems the metro ui is possibly the most non intuitive interface microsoft could have possibly developed. the fact that tools to disable metro have been made available before windows 8 is even released is testament to how much a lot of people simply dont want it.