How to have Windows 7 installer not install to the 100MB hidden, system partition

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by HotCarl, Sep 2, 2009.

1. HotCarl

HotCarl MDL Addicted

Jul 21, 2009
    #1 HotCarl, Sep 2, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
    I decided to create this thread because I have seen many people having problems with the 100mb system partition that Windows 7 forces you to create during install. The Windows 7 installer will force you to create the 100mb partition if you use the Windows 7 installer to delete all your current partitions and have it just make 1 partition to install Windows 7 to...or if you install Win7 to an unformatted/unpartitioned drive...

These are simple instructions on how to disable the Windows 7 installer from using the 100mb system partition that it creates (while still in the process of installing Windows 7!). The 100mb partition will still be there, but the Windows 7 installer will NOT be able to install to the partition, and will default to installing Windows 7 normally without it.

So here we go... (Remember, this is to be done while you are installing Windows 7 => when you get to the screen where the Windows 7 installer has you select a partition to install Windows to (and subsequently forces you to create the 100mb system partition))

<Instructions:>
    The next time Windows installer tries to make the hidden system partition during the Windows 7 install (at the partition selection screen where Windows has you select a partition to install to, and gives you options to delete/merge partitions and create new ones...) and it pops up that window telling you that windows must create the system partition...when that happens, click [OK] on the popup window. Now you should be back at the partition selection screen/window and there should be a 100mb system partition shown there in addition to the partition that you want to install Windows 7 to. Select the 100mb system partition that Windows installer created (by clicking on it) and then click "Delete" (the system partition will still be shown there in the list, but will now be unallocated...this is good). Now click [Next] to continue with the rest of the install as normal.
    <End Instructions>

Basically this will unallocate the 100mb system partition, so that the installer still sees the partition was created and lets you continue (it will not let you continue without making this system partition), but when the installer tries to install the system files to the system partition, it will be unallocated, so it will not be able to do so, and will then just default to installing everything normally without using the 100mb partition...

Easy. :)

Note that you will then have 100MB of unallocated space on your HardDrive, but that is a tiny amount, and you will have no hidden, system partition to worry about messing things up... (Then you can even use a non-destructive disk editing and merging utility to then merge the 100mb back into the main Windows 7 install partition if you want. I didn't bother on the system I did it on since it is such a small amount of space that will not be missed...but if I wanted to, I would just use Acronis Disk Director to do it.)

2. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    There is an even easier way, plus it will not leave you with 100MB of unpartitioned space.

1.) Boot a XP or Linux CD

2.) Pre-partition the entire drive and format the partitions

3.) Install Win7 onto the partition you just created for it

Viola; the extra boot partition wont appear because Win7 couldnt create any new partitions. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. HotCarl

HotCarl MDL Addicted

Jul 21, 2009
    #3 HotCarl, Sep 2, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
    (OP)
    The best way is to preformat the hard drive how you want it prior to installing Windows 7.........of course. ;)
    ...but this method is for individuals who are not as computer literate as the rest of us, or who are trying to install Windows 7 as quickly as possible (as it is very simple to do and requires just clicking 1 extra button during install (the "Delete" button)), and it can be done while you are in the process of installing Windows 7...as some people lack the foresight to do these things beforehand... :D

EDIT: I think there is something valuable to having the ability to disable the 100mb system partition from being used during Windows 7 install... I did it the day before yesterday on my friend's laptop when I forgot to preformat the HD and the Windows 7 installer kept trying to force me to create the partition... :D

4. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    That is, of course, correct. :)

(EDIT: Missed your edit. Was out for a minute and didnt refresh.)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. HotCarl

HotCarl MDL Addicted

Jul 21, 2009
  6. Dude245

Dude245 MDL Novice

Aug 11, 2009
    Just deleate windows 7 pArtition extend system reserved qnd change the name to (space) next time u boot up it will show up as c:

7. HotCarl

HotCarl MDL Addicted

Jul 21, 2009
    #8 HotCarl, Sep 3, 2009
    (OP)
    That is exactly what I said in my last comment that did not work on the 3 laptops that I tried it on... You are just repeating what the link that flo5k5 posted says...

As I said before, if you can get that to work, then do it. The method I describe is just a lot easier (as it only involves 1 extra mouse click to delete (unallocate) the 100b partition) and it always works.

8. drably

drably MDL Member

Feb 4, 2008
    For any easier alternative versus what has been posted, which you can do during the installation: At the first setup screen (Language, Keyboard, etc.) press SHIFT+F10. This will open a command prompt window.
    Enter the following diskpart commands to create a partition.

- Diskpart
    - List disk
    (this command is important. It will show you what disk drives you have. Most likely your hard drive will be will be Disk 0,
    but you need to check it first.)

- select disk 0
    - clean
    - create partition primary size=60000
    (this creates a partition 60GB in size, or change the value to any number you want. If you want to use the whole hard drive, just leave off the size=number)

- select partition 1
    - active
    - format fs=ntfs quick

Type Exit to leave Diskpart. Type Exit to close the command prompt. Now continue with the install. When you get to the
    partition screen, highlight the partition you just created and click Next. Windows will install to the partition you created
    and not create the 100MB boot partition. Instead, you will see a C:\Boot folder when the install is finished (like Vista has).

9. HotCarl

HotCarl MDL Addicted

Jul 21, 2009
    #10 HotCarl, Sep 3, 2009
    (OP)
    You can try that as well... The method I describe is more geared towards novice users that have this problem. It is a simple fix that does not involve using a command console, and only takes 1 or 2 extra mouse clicks, and can be done directly from the Windows 7 installer with no need to open any other windows or anything. Of course there are other more complex ways to do it. I am describing the simplest, easiest way for novice users to circumvent the forced creation 100mb system partition. :)

EDIT: I fail to see how what you (drably) have posted is easier then just clicking 1 "Delete" button prior to continuing the install...the OP is a lot of words, but it is just 1 very simple step... The other text there is just to ensure novice users can follow along easier and can have peace of mind in knowing what they are doing.

10. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    the only time it creates the 100mb partition is if you enable bitlocker or if you have an unpartitioned hard drive you install it to. If the partition is formatted then it will not create the 100mb partition.

11. HotCarl

HotCarl MDL Addicted

Jul 21, 2009
    #12 HotCarl, Sep 3, 2009
    (OP)
    Sorry, but that is not entirely correct. It will force creation of the 100mb partition as well if you use the Win7 installer to delete the current partitions, and have it merge all of them into 1 partition. I did it the day before yesterday. I installed Windows 7 on a Dell laptop that had 3 partitions (1 of which was a recovery). I deleted all 3 partitions then created 1 new one that utilized the entire hard drive. When you do that, the installer forces a system partition (100mb) to be created...
    (Ex: like on the laptop I did it on, where it had XP and Vista and a Dell recovery partition...I didn't want any of that, so I used the installer to remove the 3 partitions, then created 1 new partition that utilized all HD space. I thought everything would be fine, but to my dismay I was then forced to create the system 100mb partition...so I just unallocated the 100mb partition by selecting it and clicking the "Delete" button, then I clicked [Next] and continued on as normal with the install...)

If you pre-format the hard drive as 1 partition (or however many partitions you want to have) *before* you use the Win7 installer, then no problem. If I were to do my own system at home, that is what I would do... I just noticed many novice users were having problems with being forced to create the 100mb system partition (and subsequently not allowing them to properly activ@te their PCs as easily), so I just tossed that out there to help people who are not as computer savvy as the rest of us. I figured the less complicated the better. It does not get any less complicated than 1 or 2 mouse clicks. ;)

12. genuineintel

genuineintel MDL Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Can I reduce the size of the hidden system partition from 100MB to, say, 50MB?

13. dumppq

dumppq MDL Junior Member

Mar 3, 2008
    If they're a novice, they probably don't give a damn about having a seperate, ~100MB boot partition.

diskpart is the way to go here.

14. HotCarl

HotCarl MDL Addicted

Jul 21, 2009
    #15 HotCarl, Sep 3, 2009
    (OP)
    Ummm...really? Well, I believe they do "give a damn" because having the 100mb hidden system partition makes it a lot harder in some cases for them to get their Windows 7 PC activ@ted with the common lo@der activ@tion tools... I hear problems ALL the time (if you do not see people with the hidden partition having problems, then you do not read the forum very much my friend ;)) that could be easily solved by using the very simple method I have outlined in the OP. The way you mentioned is valid, but a novice (or at least "non-advanced" user) user who just wants to get their PC activ@ted (like probably roughly 75% of the people who view this forum, and that is a conservative estimate) will probably like a much easier way to do it... ;)

15. myndwire

myndwire MDL Junior Member

Jul 17, 2009

there's absolutely no reason to not let the 100mb partition exist -- there's a reason for it. besides, for YEARS installing linux, /boot is ALWAYS (or at least should be) a separate partition just for sake of boot troubleshooting. i think there's other purposes of the 100mb boot partition too, but it's still better practice to keep it. 100mb is nothing, and not worth the trouble. maybe if it were like 1990...

16. HotCarl

HotCarl MDL Addicted

Jul 21, 2009
    #17 HotCarl, Sep 3, 2009
    (OP)
    Not unless people are having problems with activ@tion... and thus my whole point for the OP. Read the stuff I have said before commenting and making me type stuff multiple times, please. I have seen so many problems with activ@ting Windows 7 due simply to the partitions existence, and current loader technology being unable to either properly detect it, or properly mount it and utilize it... Save yourself the hassle and just get rid of it is the point I am making (which is a lot easier for non-advanced users), if I have to spell it out. ;)

17. berdinatilli

berdinatilli MDL Junior Member

Aug 21, 2009
    solution

:eek:

Why complicate ???

1)Just make one full partition in the windows 7 installer, and accept the infamous 100mb system partition.
    2)Now you delete your big partition and leave the 100mb system partition.
    3)Now the big deal, expand the 100mb system partition to the size you really want and create other partitions at will.
    4)Format all partitions, including the system partition.
    5)Proceed installation…

Done

Enjoy :cool:,
    Berdi

18. HotCarl

HotCarl MDL Addicted

Jul 21, 2009
    #19 HotCarl, Sep 3, 2009
    (OP)
    OMG, read previous comments. That method has been discussed 3 separate times already... It didn't work for me on the 3 laptops I tried on, so I said if it works for you, then do it that way (because after I tried that on the Dell laptops I installed Win7 on, the 100mb hidden partition was there after install completed). The way that I posted was just a really simple 1 step procedure to do almost the same thing... Thanks for the input though. :cool:

19. berdinatilli

berdinatilli MDL Junior Member

Aug 21, 2009
    before proceed installation, make sure to:

4) FORMAT ALL partitions, including the system partition.

i really doubt, windows setup would mess with formated partitions...