How to hide or fake computer information in a network?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by trungpt, Apr 9, 2014.

1. trungpt

trungpt MDL Addicted

Dec 15, 2009
    #1 trungpt, Apr 9, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
    Dear bros,

When accessing a network, I know that the network admin can collect some info such as Computer name, Mac Address, OS Name, OS Version, ... I'd like to know how to hide or fake these info?

For example, I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on a Dell notebook with given X as MAC Address. How can I change these info so that when I access a network, the network admin will see that I'm running Windows XP SP3 on an HP notebook with Y as MAC address.

Thank you for reading this post. That'd be great if you can help or share some useful info :D

Attached Files:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. jaycrav3ns

jaycrav3ns MDL Novice

Apr 17, 2014
    @ fishnetsecurity.com/6labs/blog/path-least-resistance
    would be my best advice, its all pretty straightforward. i hate dictionary based cracking...ugh if that pass is 15-20 characters or more, you are gonna be there awhile. :tea:

3. l30

l30 GFX Wizard

Apr 14, 2014
    #3 l30, Apr 17, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
    I haven't heard of any such software but sometimes networks are fooled by honeypots u can search for that

4. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013
    The NSA should know how to do this. Don't know if they would be willing to share, however.

Try tweeting Edward Snowden. I'm sure Putin won't mind.

5. shashikumar bhat

shashikumar bhat MDL Junior Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Try Tails.os. I have not used it but their homepage is very detailed and impressive. And it is free.

6. trungpt

trungpt MDL Addicted

Dec 15, 2009
    Thank you all for your replies. I see some softwares that can help us to change the Mac Address but for other information, I cannot find any softwares :(

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Zigen

Zigen MDL Novice

Jul 11, 2013
    Which softwares did you manage to find?

8. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    The change of that Mac address isn't permanent, just temporary till the next boot! You could do it kind semi permanent while using an Macro Apps or Script which changes the Mac address at every boot!

9. trungpt

trungpt MDL Addicted

Dec 15, 2009
    #9 trungpt, Apr 25, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
    (OP)
    Yes, you are right. On Windows, I use Change MAC Address program. However, I don't know how to automatically change the Mac Address every boot :(

10. trungpt

trungpt MDL Addicted

Dec 15, 2009
    I use Change Mac Address program :D

11. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    We network admins just love folks like you... it's already hard enough to keep track of stuff, without having to figure out what's fake.

12. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Done like I wrote above, just opposite!

As Network Administrator and if that Network is in good order, you'll also use an Hardware Firewall like Netscreen25, Cisco PIX-500 or similar, or as I use Smoothwall! That would gives you the ability for to allow only 'fixed' Mac addresses for to use the LAN and if they're not in the list, they would be blocked totally! If someone within that LAN would change the Mac address, it would automatically blocked for in- and outgoing traffic, means also no internal connection to any other device, computer, printer or whatsoever that is! So, what's the deal?! The overall question is: How the Network you work with is designed and what level of security is used?!

13. CODYQX4

CODYQX4 MDL Developer

Sep 4, 2009
    #13 CODYQX4, Apr 25, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2019

14. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    For private use that's much enough! But company networks! Special if the company is developing new products or complete product lines of well known and good name brand products! And for sure the most important department of an SME or bigger Company, the Financial Department, need to be as secure as possible!

It's all about what level of security you'll need?! And cost is an factor as well!!

15. trungpt

trungpt MDL Addicted

Dec 15, 2009
    Sorry, recently, I'm curious regarding how to hide computer info when connected to a network :D

16. trungpt

trungpt MDL Addicted

Dec 15, 2009
    I applyied the same mechanism for my home wireless network :D

17. digudc

digudc MDL Novice

May 13, 2014
    Hello Trungpt,Try this tool Technitium MAC Address Changer if it helps please give HI 5 ... :) cheers..:biggrin:

18. trungpt

trungpt MDL Addicted

Dec 15, 2009
    I know the tool before. A really nice freeware :D