How to install win 7 x64 on new acer pc with win 10 gpt uefi bios

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by jet29, Apr 25, 2016.

1. garlic

garlic MDL Novice

Nov 27, 2015
    #21 garlic, Apr 27, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
    You need to boot from the Windows installation media in UEFI mode, so you can use GPT (GUID Partition Table).

Disable Secure Boot and even if you're installing to UEFI it sometimes requires enabling CSM (Compatibility Support Module) to install Windows 7.

- Disable Secure Boot.
    - Enable CSM.
    - Do not turn off UEFI.

2. jet29

jet29 MDL Member

Aug 8, 2009
    this bios only allows between legacy and uefi, no other settings allowed to be altered i tried accessing boot from efi from winsows recovery advanced menu but same problems. i think you have desktop motherboard bioses which are more configurable.

3. jet29

jet29 MDL Member

Aug 8, 2009
    i have made a rufus efi as per instructions on a new 16gb usb and it still does not boot up in in uefi bios mode. it does not allow me to separetly disable secure boot, it is linked to efi setting.

4. acid1996

acid1996 MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2015
    I had the same problem with Acer E5-573G and I concluded that there is NO WAY to install Windows 7 under native UEFI, the only solution is to install under Legacy but you need to format HDD to use MBR partition style if previously you were on GPT.

5. jet29

jet29 MDL Member

Aug 8, 2009
    i have found out how to get the greyed out options for bios vis: secure boot etc, i have to make a supervisor password then it allows me to add security files to efi and control tcm etc, i ran the usb this time it goes through the setup expand files 100%, then when it does a restart it freezes at the starting windows logo i restarted after 5mins and it does that everytime.
    also i ran the setup from within windows to get so far, i think the easiest method will be to erase hd or put in another hard disk to experiment first.
    i have also used toggle tweaker and got rid of as much win 10 bloat/telmet etcand have got it down to 75 processes running, i have 8gb and 1 tb h/d.

6. jet29

jet29 MDL Member

Aug 8, 2009
    i also made partition in disk management and formatted it and then it became visible during win install, so i can run the install under uefi to selected p/t it just gets stck in completing the windows 7 install on the restart and freezes on starting windows after expanding files, maybe i should give it longer to progress or is tcm bios setting or secure boot efi settings . i had win 7 premium x64 on 16gb rufus made gpt efi it took 1 hr to put on usb.

7. acid1996

acid1996 MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2015
    Yes the issue is the freezing point where the files are being loaded from Windows 7 installation, Windows 7 is not compatible with the Intel's GOP UEFI driver that handles Intel's integrated graphics card. The issue specifically is associated with Windows's vga.sys driver and it's the point where Windows 7 installation gets stuck.

There's no known way how to avoid or fix this, you just have to face with the fact that Windows 7 won't work with more modern UEFI systems which don't have CSM option in the BIOS. :(

8. kunjar

kunjar MDL Novice

Apr 3, 2012
    #28 kunjar, Apr 27, 2016
    See this thread: hxxp://forums. mydigitallife. info/threads/69118-Windows-10-activation/page2

...pay attention in particular to post #11 on page 2 and onwards.

9. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014
    I'm going to try doing a Win-7 install on My laptop in a VHD. Problem is the last Patch Tuesday updates screwed something up on My Win 10 drive so I'm having to reinstall 10 first :( I'm also Not the smart one and I haven't heard back from BigReds :eek:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. jet29

jet29 MDL Member

Aug 8, 2009
    i was coming to this conclusion that the drivers are not compatible, will this not be similar prob with doing a vhd if all drivers are not functioning, i will give the vhd a try, i was thinking off putting linux mint on ;) here we go again :p

11. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    heard of a trick a while back.. use win 8 or 10 boot folder with win 7 files in source.. mod bcd.

12. acid1996

acid1996 MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2015
    Tried using Windows 8/10 boot folder with Windows 7 files, you can successfully pass the Windows 7 preparing files routine, prepare the drives and copy the files. But after restart, while Windows 7 files are being expanded (or used) to proceed with final stage of installation it gets stuck again at the same driver (vga.sys).

Though, never tried using VHD, and don't know how but I assume that won't work either... :(

13. jet29

jet29 MDL Member

Aug 8, 2009
    look at post #28 has link to vhd setup procedure in detail

14. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014
    #34 Bat.1, Apr 27, 2016
    Somehow, Don't ask Me :confused: I managed to get Win-7 installed in EFI dual-boot with Win 10 on a second partition. My advice is Don't even Think of attempting it. On 7 startup after installing I had to keep preventing repairs until I finally got the OS running. Once running I ran into the drivers problems. Luckily I have a Wi-Fi dongle with the drivers on a USB drive. Got online and used Iobit to find "Most" of the missing drivers. Probably with a day or two of Googling and driver hunting, Maybe I could get the rest. Maybe Not. Next problem is booting either 10 or 7 the OS wants to "Repair" the Drives. So I tried a regedit and the problem persisted. Guess it's something to do with the EFI boot files on the NTFS Win 7 partition :p

Best advice I can give is to leave the Win 10 OS alone and if You need Win 7 is to run it in a VM like VMWare Workstation.

UPDATE: Got everything working except for having to hit a key during boot to stop disk check. Think I just saw My mistake :death: Stupid Bat :mad: Too late now it's Nap time

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    #35 LatinMcG, Apr 28, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
    boot 10 usb and repair or chkdsk all disks including the hidden first.

congrats.. i forgot u could use current efi 10 boot to add 7 :confused:

acid> i think its amd chipset drivers missing.. load from USB folder u added drivers
    click advanced then browse usb for the radeon i believe.
    depends on your pc model

16. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014
    Thanks, I'm going to have to give that a try IF I can find a USB drive that's not already full of Crap :eek: Running offline repairs didn't work. For now when I boot into 7 it's just a click enter to choose the OS and one more click to stop the disk check. With 10 it's arrow down, then enter, plus Two more clicks to stop the checks. I'm Not a Geek so maybe it's the install used Win 8 boot instead of 10 :confused:

While what I did was possible it's not easy and anyone wanting to try needs to be prepared. First off You need a OS that's been modified with the 8 or 10 boot. So that's a DIY operation or try finding a torrent. Generation2 I think had done some but I don't know if He still does it and I never tried with his torrents. I use the Feb 2015 UEFI torrent by BigReds. It doesn't have USB3 drivers so that's another DIY project if You don't have a USB2 port. It gives an error message that the partitions aren't in the right order but You can proceed. Just Don't let it check for errors after install !!

The Best Option *which I wasn't prepared for* :( would have been to have a driver pack on a USB. I managed to get passed that with My Wi-Fi dongle. I used Iobit as I posted above then ran the April Simplix Pack off of desktop and it installed 94 updates. Running WU found 13 Important and 4 optional updates that fortunately were for My dual graphics plus the Ethernet and Wi-Fi card. After another install of 5 Important (.net I think) updates, last thing was to install the Intel USB3 drivers so My ports would work.

I'm going to try PESTERING Reds to see if I can get Him to come out of Torrent Retirement long enough to make a updated copy with Win 10 boot and USB3 drivers :biggrin: Might come in handy later but for now the economy here is "Tanked" so nobody is buying new PCs

17. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014
    Sometimes I really wish I knew what I was doing instead of just being a Crash Test Dummy o_O Solved the disk check problems by simply re-enabling Secure Boot :eek:

Time to quit so I'll just advise anybody buying a new Win 10 PC that might want to run Win 7 on it to make sure it has CSM Support.

18. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    or time to do VM!

19. venioni

venioni MDL Senior Member

Mar 28, 2014
    i think the best for install on uefi is to make a multi iso of windows 10(export-image of windows 7)on w10