How to install Windows 7 from a USB 3.0 Thumb Drive (FAST installation!)

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Rakeesh, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Katinka1

Katinka1 MDL Novice

Dec 16, 2016
    I don't understand. I used Rufus to wipe and create the bootable USB-stick using a genuine Win7.iso file. It installed Freedos, not me.

So I downloaded the extensible usb3 driver files from intel (previous drivers were from Asus). Slipstreemed those. And now the USB boots to Win7 installation screen! :clap:

But if you say this USB should boot with EFI and not freedos on my UEFI laptop. I am concerned I will do something wrong again o_O - What could happen if I do the Win7 install now with this Freedos based USB-stick. On my UEFI laptop?

2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    #62 Enthousiast, Jan 3, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    I don't understand why you keep mentioning freedos, if rufus did it's job properly the usb thumbdrive should be able to boot UEFI/GPT but keep in mind not all win 7 SP1 editions exists an activation option (not without modifying the bios, at least).

On UEFI/GPT configured systems you can:
    Code:
    You can install W 7 SP1 Professional or Enterprise and activate them with a KMS tool.

You can install W 7 SP1 Ultimate and activate by Windslic (not recommended for all users/hardware).

You can install W 7 SP1 Starter/Basic/Premium/Pro/Ultimate and use a modified bios flash to OEM activate.
    DAZ' Windows Loader won't work on UEFI/GPT configured systems.

3. Katinka1

Katinka1 MDL Novice

Dec 16, 2016
    HI Enthousiast :p

This is exactky the reason I get confused and do not like other activation methods besides Hazar's Removewat. It always worked for the exact ISO ISO I am using now. BTW. I did have the original license key for Win7 on my deceased Desktop but lost it.

Another thingie,

I slipstreamed the INtel USB3 drivers thrice, the exact same way, into a original copy of the Boot.wim file. And I bit-compared all three outcomes. And they are different. How come?

4. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    RemoveWAT, is that still around? FYI it doesn't activate windows, it corrupts systemfiles to fool you into thinking your windows is activated, it was one of the reasons for DAZ to develop the WATFIX tool.

What is different with the integration of the drivers, three times in what?

5. Katinka1

Katinka1 MDL Novice

Dec 16, 2016
    I need to slipstream a KB-update/Hotfix into Windows7 install files. How should I do this?

And if successful will this Hotfix take effect immediately during install?

6. Full inu

Full inu MDL Addicted

Jun 9, 2015
    I think this is not working.

Not sure about all miscellaneous manufacturers, but my USB 3.0 Ports start working in USB 3.0 mode only after reboot.

7. shhnedo

shhnedo MDL Expert

Mar 20, 2011
    Use Simplix Update Pack(check stickies).

Yes, windows 8 and newer have native usb 3 support, so no need to integrate drivers.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Katinka1

Katinka1 MDL Novice

Dec 16, 2016
    I only need to slipstream 1 hotfix which should take effect immediately during setup of windows7. How is this done?

9. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    #69 Enthousiast, Feb 15, 2017
    Code:
    Dism /mount-wim /wimfile:z:\install.wim /index:1 /mountdir:x:\mount

Dism /Image:x:\Mount /Add-Package /PackagePath:y:\Update\

dism /unmount-wim /mountdir:x:\mount /commit

For boot drivers:

Code:
    Dism /mount-wim /wimfile:z:\boot.wim /index:2 /mountdir:x:\mount

dism.exe /image:"x:\mount" /Add-Driver /driver:"y:\Drivers\ /recurse

dism /unmount-wim /mountdir:x:\mount /commit

10. Katinka1

Katinka1 MDL Novice

Dec 16, 2016
    #70 Katinka1, Feb 27, 2017
    Hello. My copy of the Intel USB3 driver ZIP is named "Intel(R)_USB_3.0_eXtensible_Host_Controller_Driver.zip" and only has the following directories

\Drivers\HCSwitch
    \Drivers\Win7

HCSwitch\x64\ has only 4 files
    Win7\x64\ has only 8 files

Which one to slipstream?

11. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Anything wrong with ALL?

12. Katinka1

Katinka1 MDL Novice

Dec 16, 2016
    You mean both hcswitch contents and that of win7?

If yes how do I do that, move all contents of both hcswitch and win7 to one folder and use that one commandline to slipstream?

Or does /recurse mean it will find all files in subdirectories?

13. shhnedo

shhnedo MDL Expert

Mar 20, 2011
    Just run the command, it will integrate all .inf files it finds.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. Juvator

Juvator MDL Novice

Mar 30, 2017
    Hey guys,

So I tried this method and went through all the steps succesfully.
    Though it kept saying I did not have the permissions to move install.wim back into the sources folder -_-
    I had to run CMD to manually move the file into the folder.

But after this I made the new bootable USB and restarted but still my mouse and keyboard died:(
    I'm so hopeless, I got a win 7 key but I cannot even use it.
    I also cannot get windows 10 because you need to have a windows 7 activated first LOL!
    And even if that worked.. I tried downloading windows 10 with that silly recommended tool they add and after the whole process is done it simply gives me an error and well nothing downloaded and no bootable USB made.

I'm currently on a windows 10 that I could freely upgrade from a pirated windows 7 but my system is running so s**tty that I need a format and reinstall but it seems its impossible!
    Can anyone help me?

15. Juvator

Juvator MDL Novice

Mar 30, 2017
    Could you explain to me how that works ?:p And what it does.

16. pakash

pakash MDL Novice

Apr 1, 2018
    I just wanted to say thank you for providing this. It worked on my HP pavilion dv6.

17. molecule

molecule MDL Novice

Oct 6, 2012
    very helpful!!

trying to build my first win 7 pro sp1 x86 -- building iso in my XP sp3 x86 OnePiece AIO box. WAIK 3 installs in XP and dism 6.1 seems to run ok (though dism.log does show some hickups -- for another thread)

1 -- after I dism boot.wim with the USB3 drivers (VIA Hub, VIA Root Hub, VIA eXtensible Host Controller), should I also dism them in a second time with other system drivers, to customize install.wim?

2 -- from post #69 above by Enthousiast:
    Code:
    dism.exe /image:"x:\mount" /Add-Driver /driver:"y:\Drivers\ /recurse
    do I add backslash \*.* and close quote after folder name? do I need *.*
    Code:
    dism.exe /image:"x:\mount" /Add-Driver /driver:"y:\Drivers\*.*" /recurse
    2 -- from post #62 above by Enthousiast:
    Code:
    You can install W 7 SP1 Professional or Enterprise and activate them with a KMS tool
    (... in UEFI/GPT configured system).
    I don't know how to tell -- will rufus setup a USB such that Daz KMS tool will work? I think rufus (v2.x in XP) setups up old fashioned MSDOS partition table, and then formats NTFS for boot partition.

... lots to new challenges going from XP to 7 ... wow! ... couldn't imagine doing it without help from MDL community!

18. T15K6

T15K6 MDL Junior Member

Mar 16, 2019
    hello, anyone have USB 3.0 Drivers pack for most popular?

19. T15K6

T15K6 MDL Junior Member

Mar 16, 2019