How to install Windows 7 on a Dell 3847 PC without all the Dell Bloatware

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Palladin, May 12, 2015.

1. Palladin

Palladin MDL Senior Member

Feb 1, 2014
  2. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  4. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    I'm guessing that that is an Acronis compressed backup image? Actual footprint of the OS might be a little bigger than that.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Palladin

Feb 1, 2014
  6. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    #8 Skaendo, May 13, 2015
    Last edited: May 13, 2015

Attached Files:

7. Palladin

Feb 1, 2014
    That's pretty impressive and quite a bit smaller than what I came up with. I'm going to give this a shot this weekend. I had planned on dumping this image anyway, and I'm very curious to see if I can cut the base installation size in half. I'll report back.

Dell's tech support is clueless about the "non-support" of Windows 7 and USB 3.0.
    Windows 8.x *does* natively support USB 3.0 but Windows 7 does not. It's just inconceivable to me that Microsoft can't come up with a patch to fix it.

8. jet29

jet29 MDL Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Cleanup disk space after Service Pack install on Windows 7

You can regain about 3GB of Drive Space by removing the backup files after SP1 installation. Removing Windows 7 Service Pack 1 Backup Files

The easiest way to remove the backup files of the Windows 7 Service Pack 1 installation is the following. Open a command prompt as administrator .Click Start => Search, type 'cmd' which will propose you the icon of the black DOSbox, a right-click on it and select "Run as Administrator". Use the following command to free up disk space after the service pack installation:

dism /online /cleanup-image /spsuperseded

The process takes a few minutes to complete, it’s not done when it says 100%. Wait til you see the sentences “Service Pack Cleanup operation completed. The operation completed successfully”. Please remember that you cannot uninstall the service pack after you have cleaned up the disk space.

9. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    #11 Skaendo, May 13, 2015
    Last edited: May 13, 2015
    Yea, I was quite impressed myself. If you are not in too much of a hurry, there will probably be a new updater coming out within a week. Usually around the 15th of the month, (closer to the 20th more likely), so you might want to wait and see if simplix releases a new pack.

I have a feeling that MS is betting on everyone is going to switch to Windows 10 as soon as they can, so they don't want to put too much time into Windows 7 and make a patch for USB 3.0. That's my opinion anyways.

I am using Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 w/Update x64, so the SP is already integrated into the official iso and no need to remove SP backup files. The only thing that is worth cleaning up is the Windows update download folder after you run WU.

I do run Disk Cleanup as administrator after I update, and then go in and clean out C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\ manually. It frees up about 400MB by doing both those things.

10. DavidinCT

DavidinCT MDL Addicted

May 9, 2015
    If all else fails, Go to dell's web site for your computer, Download drivers for chipset, USB, sound, network, etc. Extract them and put them on a USB drive. Install your clean version of Windows, when it prompts for drivers, point to your USB drive.

As long as you can get online (network drivers), you should be able to get all the drivers that you need.

11. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    I would just do a fresh install, update Windows, and see if there are any drivers that are still required. Chances are that most of the required drivers are already scooped up by MS.

12. jet29

jet29 MDL Member

Aug 8, 2009
    i found that on reinstalling my wireless drivers werent picked up on acer 5732z laptop, simply connect via ethernet direct to your router and run windows update or goto control panel devices and the devices which have error etc click on those and look for their drivers by selecting update drivers from properties for that item and repeat for any others not found. this should work, which i have done many times in past

13. CaptainKirk1966

CaptainKirk1966 Former MDL Guru

Oct 31, 2009
    Everything that has been said here about a fresh install on a Dell, from MSDN/Digital River media, is pretty typical for any manufacturer. After the dust settles, some devices may not work. The first thing to do is usually get the newly installed system online, which may involve downloading an ethernet driver using a different computer, then going to the manufacturer or windows update to get whatever else is needed.

Dell's website is more helpful than some other manufacturers, in helping you with what you will need based on the service tag.