How to install Windows 7 when you have no the OEM or the Recovery DVD?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by blue45, Mar 2, 2012.

1. blue45

blue45 MDL Novice

Mar 2, 2012
    My old 2003 desktop Dell Dimension came with a Windows XP Home Edition CD, and everytime I needed to reinstall Windows I used this.

My best friend got a Dell Inspiron laptop last november. He got a rogue virus and the only we can do now is to format the entire HD. It comes with a recovery partition, but we are afraid that the virus could appear later because, if I am right, it is a process that copy a new OS partition from the recovery one, and I dont know what happens if the computer has a rootkit infection and the MBR is damaged. Actually, the computer is infected and brings black screen that shows some about "windows has been recovered for some failure" or sth and brings two options to enter windows: the normal way or a Repair option, none of them works and bring us to a new loop. The only way we can enter windows is pressing F8 and use Last known good configuration, Safe Mode dont work because once we are in it, it shows a blue screen after some seconds.

Will this recovery process fix and clean the MBR and stuff and keep away the virus from any new/old partitions?

I have a multi version Windows 7 DVD. If I need to, could I use this DVD to install Windows 7 Home Basic and then use the serial that comes with the sticker in the bottom of the laptop to activate/register it?

Thank you so much in advance for your kind help guys!