How to integrate windows defender definition update to Windows 8/8.1?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Chrystopher, Apr 20, 2014.

1. Chrystopher

Chrystopher MDL Member

Oct 23, 2013
    #1 Chrystopher, Apr 20, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
    Is someone knows how to integrate Windows Defender definition update to Windows 8/8.1 installation and make it auto update when installing Windows? And I also wanna ask about how to make Windows ISO smaller. I've seen many ISOs out there which most of them contain AIO and updates with size less than 4GB, while i'm creating a Windows 8.1 ProWMC only ISO with Update 1, the size reach 3.8 GB, just 1 index. So, is someone also knows how to make it smaller? I've tried compressing ISO by rebulding WIM with WinToolkit, but that doesn't help, the size still the same. Please help and i'm sorry if this question is out of topic because the topic title has text limits

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    I don't believe you can auto-update (meaning download latest)
    but you can download a specific build and have it install during setupcomplete.cmd

Just add the mpam-fe.exe to your mount\windows\setup\scripts\ folder
    and add the line to setupcomplete.cmd:

mpam-fe.exe

There's no special commands required, it will always run silently.
    I typically don't add them to my images because a lot of people use custom a/v programs and it just takes up 90megs of unwanted space, but that's how you do it if you want to.

3. eydee

eydee Guest

May I ask you why would you do this? Definition updates come out every few hours. Whatever you integrate will be outdated by the time you burn the thing to a DVD. It's not worth it. It will auto update with WU after OS install anyway.

4. apologized

apologized MDL Addicted

Nov 29, 2012
    not needed :biggrin:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    #5 s1ave77, Apr 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Would gues Win 8 is a bit outdated by now :g:. To reduce size of a Win 8.1 WIM you can convert to ESD, the latter will be 1/4 smaller. My install WIM with ProWMC/Pro/Core is 4 GB (fully updated with additional folder for install at FirstLogon Stage) and the ESD is 2.9 GB :good3:.

Note 1: This needs the Deployment Tools from adk 8.1 Update 1 to be installed.

Note 2: The process will use all available processing power :cool2:.

Code:
    dism /Export-Image /SourceImageFile:"C:\wim\install.wim" /SourceIndex:1 /DestinationImageFile:"C:\wim\install.esd" /Compress:recovery
    Repeat for all available indices by always pointing to same ESD.

Note 3: As these ESD files cannot be maintained further you'll need to keep the WIM handy. Update WIM then convert to ESD to reduce the size. This has to be done every time you update the WIM.

6. moderate

moderate MDL Guru

Aug 31, 2009
    #6 moderate, Apr 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    1. Install clean RTM of your system to VM. There do Windows Defender Update, it will download 60MB update file in single file. Catch it in \Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download by its size. Rename it to EXE (from string like"c588dfdc9fb49fc889a254f2555db896c0accd5f"), then rename it nicely according properties-original filename information.

2. Add the EXE-filename to SetupComplete.cmd and put both to \sources\$oem$\$$\Setup\scripts in your ISO.

Piece of cake... :))

Reduce ISO size:
    Code:
    DISM /Mount-Wim /WimFile:C:\ISO\sources\install.wim /index:1 /MountDir:C:\mount
    attrib -r -s -h C:\mount\Windows\System32\Recovery\winre.wim
    DISM /Export-Image /SourceImageFile:C:\mount\Windows\System32\Recovery\winre.wim /SourceIndex:1 /DestinationImageFile:C:\mount\Windows\System32\Recovery\winre2.wim /Compress:max /Bootable
    DEL /S /F /Q C:\mount\Windows\System32\Recovery\winre.wim
    REN C:\mount\Windows\System32\Recovery\winre2.wim winre.wim
    Dism /unmount-WIM /MountDir:C:\mount /Commit

DISM /Export-Image /SourceImageFile:C:\ISO\sources\install.wim /SourceIndex:1 /DestinationImageFile:C:\ISO\sources\install2.wim /Compress:max
    DEL /S /F /Q C:\ISO\sources\install.wim
    REN C:\ISO\sources\install2.wim install.wim

DISM /Export-Image /SourceImageFile:C:\ISO\sources\boot.wim /SourceIndex:1 /DestinationImageFile:C:\ISO\sources\boot2.wim /Compress:max /Bootable
    DISM /Export-Image /SourceImageFile:C:\ISO\sources\boot.wim /SourceIndex:2 /DestinationImageFile:C:\ISO\sources\boot2.wim /Compress:max /Bootable
    DEL /S /F /Q C:\ISO\sources\boot.wim
    REN C:\ISO\sources\boot2.wim boot.wim

7. Chrystopher

Chrystopher MDL Member

Oct 23, 2013
    Thanks, guys for the answers
    :)