How to know whether motherboard was changed in a laptop or not

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by mygeneticcode, Dec 19, 2014.

1. mygeneticcode

mygeneticcode MDL Novice

Nov 3, 2014
    Hi mates, in my dell lattitude laptop motherboard was gone, so i gave it to local service person, so he said he changed the motherboard and charged 15k. I wish to know whether he changed my motherboard or not. please tell me how to check whether motherboard was changed in my laptop or not.

2. BadgerJoe

BadgerJoe MDL Novice

Mar 26, 2010
    You can check with Dell and possibly get a serial number for the MB. And you can ask for the defective part or parts back.

3. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    issue is they could have changed it and reflashed serial with dell asset tag util.

or they reflowed the video chipset and called it a day and not changed board.

look under memory door. usually has a sticker with numbers .. should have taken pic of it before repair. see if anything changed on that sticker.. position.. numbers. ;)

4. puttynene

puttynene MDL Novice

Sep 9, 2014
    Serial number can tel you but for that you should know it first, if you don't remember it then probably its tough to answer this.

5. mygeneticcode

mygeneticcode MDL Novice

Nov 3, 2014
    Thanks for your response mates. the only thing which notified is he changed the windows 8.1 OS key and i have already disabled computrace software before i gave laptop to him for repair now its again in deactivation stage. And i have already asked for old motherboard what he replaced, but he said, Dell wont give the old motherboard, because for new motherboard he said we have to submit our old motherboard to dell then only they gave a new one when you are purchasing. I asked him why did they need the repaired motherboard, he just replied just to avoid refurbished, is it true.

6. mygeneticcode

mygeneticcode MDL Novice

Nov 3, 2014
    How to find serial number of motherboard

7. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013
    This "local service person" - do they have a good reputation? Most small shops can't afford to stock every laptop motherboard, so they would have to order it. How long did the repair take? If it was 1 or 2 days, I'd say you have the same motherboard. If it was two weeks, it could well be a new motherboard. It should appear absolutely pristine - not a speck of dust anywhere.

You state the "motherboard was gone". Was that your conclusion, or that of the local service person? Where you given a quote before the repairs? It's all pretty hard to say.

8. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    if board is in warranty from dell.. yes they do require it back.

9. puttynene

puttynene MDL Novice

Sep 9, 2014
    It is near the parallel port if your motherboard has parallel port. And a motherboard without parallel port check PCI slot at the center of the port. Serial number is in a combination of alpha numeric values.

10. BadgerJoe

BadgerJoe MDL Novice

Mar 26, 2010
    You can check your warranty status using your Dell service number. It's an alphanumeric that is specific to that unit. It will list when you bought it and everything that shipped with it.
    It will also list the parts in the unit by part number. If your service guy says it was replaced under warranty and it is out of warranty, he's lying to you. And I'm fairly certain for it to be replaced under warranty, Dell would have to contact you if you bought it directly from Dell. If you bought it used and the previous owner didn't transfer anything to you, you are likely out of luck.

11. infringer

infringer MDL Novice

Dec 30, 2010
    This eludes me why would someone say they did something they did not like change a motherboard .... Sheesh for 15k I will change 50 laptop motherboards. Enjoy! providing we are talking USD lol!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    That cannot change more than 10 high-end laptop motherboards.

13. Meat[On]A[Stick]

Meat[On]A[Stick] MDL Junior Member

Jan 1, 2015
    There is no possible way the "15k" the OP mentions can mean 15,000 United States Dollars. I don't believe it. Rubles, yes. Yen, yes. Pesos, yes. USD, no! Well, perhaps if it was gold plated and Steve Job's favorite laptop, then maybe.

14. bludgard

bludgard MDL Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Boards cost me $50 - $150 USD (usually lower end laptops - HP, Gateway, Dell etc,). I only charge $50 to remove/replace the board (takes about an hour to an hour 1/2).
    One can look for scratches around the seams where the upper and lower casings come together (look close all around & also round the edge of keyboard for possible signs of prying).
    Look closely at any visible screws for stripping and/or off-coloring (even missing screws). Look under battery as well.
    Those are the only non-invasive ways I know of without having exported any previous mobo info.
    Now ripping it apart would reveal.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...