How to launch Recovery menu at startup like Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by venu, Sep 12, 2012.

1. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    I found a way to have an F8 equivalent in windows 8.

1) In MSCONFIG, under "BOOT" make sure there is a decent timeout, say 10 seconds.

2) Next, launch admin command prompt and ensure you are at C:\windows\system32. Now type the following and hit enter:

reagentc /enable

You will get a message "Operation completed successfully". Exit command prompt.

3) Restart. You should get a boot menu with your regular boot entries plus

"To specify more options for this choice, press F8"

Now, with Windows 8 boot entry highlighted, press F8.

4) In the next screen, you'll get the option to press F1-F9 for all the safe mode stuff etc. At the bottom, there'll be an option to press F10 for more options.

5) Hit F10. Now you should see a menu to launch recovery menu.

6) Press the recovery menu option and you're taken to the familiar window.

This works on an HP laptop running windows 8 pro solo OS. Metro is disabled, UAC is set to lowest and Tihiy's patch is being used to skip metro completely. I have no clue how this'll pan out on a system running metro.

In case, somebody has already come up with idea, I may kindly be informed as I have no intention of plagiarizing etc. Just discovered this while fiddling around this morning so thought to share.

2. 5856898

5856898 MDL Junior Member

Aug 18, 2012
    Run Command prompt as Admin and type bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy. ensure operation completed successfully. restart system and you'll find F8 works. in this case, you can also launch WinRE without going to Windows first.