How to link MSA to digital license on a local account?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by gozmon, Jul 29, 2016.

1. gozmon

gozmon MDL Junior Member

Feb 6, 2016
  2. KNARZ

KNARZ MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2012
    #3 KNARZ, Jul 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
    Unlinking removes the device from your account. - So use some testaccount. link it. delete the testaccount und the device should be still linked to the account. (but maybe it's some kind of timer based and needs some refresh every 6 months or something. I don't belive that, but I don't know.)

I tested everything yesterday. After trying to link the 5. PC to MSA they blocked the account somehow that I could't add the next PC.

3. gozmon

gozmon MDL Junior Member

Feb 6, 2016
    Hi man thanks for the help i appreciate it, having said that i dont wanna sound rude or anything but i didn't understand a single thing you said. Could you be a bit more clear and systemic please

I dont have preview build so i cant test it.
    My theory is Link MSA to license, log out of MSA and use local account. Will the message of MSA account linked to digital license remain on the activation tab even after logging out from the MSA and using a local account for the pc

4. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    I clear it up, I installed Win10 a year ago with MSA, and its been on a local account since then. I just changed it back to MSA and all is fine..

who knows after today (last day of free for leeches year) though HAH!

5. Engineer2k2

Engineer2k2 MDL Member

Jun 21, 2012
    OK !

My Windows 10 Pro is activated and not attached with any MS account so far - so I can either attach it now or even later because it gets activated after fresh install. I want to attach it to MSA just to avoid implications in future if I plan to change/upgrade hardware.:D

6. Hegel

Hegel MDL Novice

Jun 8, 2013
    I'm guessing this means the create 'family member' allows a maximum of five users. So we can re-install Windows as often as we can as long as we don't have more than five devices listed under the Microsoft manage device page. Am I right in assuming this?

7. Hegel

Hegel MDL Novice

Jun 8, 2013
    Thanks for your reply but now I'm really confused! I thought the whole point was to try and link an activated account with MSA - so that Microsoft will 'remember' it later.

8. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    MSFT will remember your system's HWID for the lifetime of windows 10 or the hardware. The link is only usefull when the normal HWID activation fails and you have to use the activation troubleshooter.

9. Hegel

Hegel MDL Novice

Jun 8, 2013
    Yes, that's more or less what I thought - thanks for summing it up.

So, for example, if (in the next 15 hours or so) I was to create a few virtual machines, then use the Daz Loader method of upgrading to Windows 10 Pro, then linked each to a separate MS account, I should be able to use the troubleshooter to override HWID for each account, and install W10 on various machines?

Have I got that right?