how to make customised win7 dvd for a specific system help

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by kittu8_in2002, Jan 28, 2010.

1. kittu8_in2002

kittu8_in2002 MDL Junior Member

Sep 22, 2009
    hello, can you friends tell me suppose i want to make a installation dvd specific to a system( e.g. hp, dell,acer etc) all i need is that it should get installed only in that machine is it possible to create one......!!
    if yess please share it:eek:

2. kittu8_in2002

Sep 22, 2009
    i think in xp there were cds specific to systems rite ?? is it possible in WIN7 as well ?

3. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    Well, I don't know exaclty how but it should be possible if you make an app for that.
    Windows vista and 7 setups are started from winPE, a minimal version of windows that boots from the dvd and it has only a commandline interface. When winPE is booted it starts one of the 2 setup.exe (I think the one in sources).
    So when you play a bit with the winPE image (boot.wim) you can set that it doesn't autostart setup.exe, but a program you made by yourself (WINPE HAS NO .NET FRAMEWORK). That program checks the hardware (bios is the easiest way I think) and if it's the right hardware it call's setup, else it does whatever you want.

But I don't know how to check the bios, and because it has no .net you can't program in vb or c#.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. kittu8_in2002

Sep 22, 2009
    i dont know programming but certainly i understand a bit of what you said... am sure some genius will soon make this tool... i will like that

5. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    That's to activate it on that specific pc, but I think kittu8_in2002 wants to make the dvd useless in another pc than his.

7. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  8. MrHappy

MrHappy MDL Novice

Jan 29, 2010
    I took it to mean that the OP wants to make a minimalized DVD to install only what is needed. Like with nLite on XP. I'd like a tool like that for Win 7 as well so I can remove all the components I don't need, have only the drivers I need installed, and have all the settings adjusted how I like right from the install.

The DVD would then be specific to that system because those are the only drivers it will install.

9. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    Why do you want to do that? What are you hoping to accomplish?

10. kittu8_in2002

Sep 22, 2009
    i am pretty much interested in this because .. i thought when companies load WIN7 in laptops they give there DVD, which can only be loaded in systems that they make ( correct me if am wrong )... so i just wanted to know how is it done...so that dvd's can be system specific.

11. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    #11 timesurfer, Jan 30, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
    I think the cert is specific to the model but the OEM keys are generic to the version. With 7 for instance all versions are kinda included in the ISO. But most use ultimate for its functionality. All versions have the same performance I think. But there are tools that can disable the ISO so more than just ultimate can be used but again most don't want a lower version than ultimate. Their is also a tool that can convert a 7 ISO to any version like for instance pro

12. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    Oh, dvd's that come with a pc can activate that pc, and every pc with the same slic. But I think those boot fine on any pc, at least my acer vista rtm dvd boots everywhere.
    So if you want to make the dvd only activate the pc's with the slic you want than the oem folder to insert cert and key is the way to go.
    If you want your dvd to refuse to do anything on another pc then yours you have to mess with winpe, but I think most oems don't touch winpe except for an oemlogo on boot maybe.

13. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  14. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    Yes I know

15. kittu8_in2002

Sep 22, 2009
    yes stannieman you got what am looking for !! so please help me and others know this knowledge better !

16. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    For the program it's the easiest if it's done in a language that doesn't require .net, but if it does you can convert it to native x86 code with xenocode .net obfuscator.
    The rest can be done easier. You only have to rename dvd\sources\setup.exe to something else and name the systemcheck app "setup.exe". Winpe will call setup.exe wich is your program then, and your program calls the renamed setup. If done like this you don't need to edit boot.wim.

BUT NONE OF THIS METHODS IS WATERPROOF:
    When you bootup you can still acces the recovery console, and from there you can run setup manually on any pc.
    Also when you start the setup from within windows you can start the exe manually.
    The only way to fix the recovery console issue would be to edit the 2 images in boot.wim (the one for install and the one for recovery) and block winpe's acces to the dvd drive if it's not the right system.

Setup from within windows may be blocked be renaming sources\setup.exe, the setup in the dvd root won't find sources\setup than. If you start sources\renamedsetup.exe manually it's possible it installs fine, but (hopefully) it could be that it fails after the first reboot because of wrong filename. But my guess is whatever you do installing from within windows will always be possible.