How to make SFC work again so that system files can be repaired (Build 10041)

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Jackalito, Mar 21, 2015.

1. exxocet

exxocet MDL Novice

Sep 3, 2014
    I guess OS core files are just fine, but sfc command is broken in Win 10. Even after applying Jackalito fix (bravo!), sfc command stops at 4%, I repeat command and it stops at 35%, only to work smooth to 100% with no error for the 3rd time. And, of course, if i run sfc /scannow for the 4th time, error again! That's no consistency in sfc.

2. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Same here sometimes it works sometimes it won't :tea:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. lquser

lquser MDL Novice

Jun 14, 2010
    For the people that this steps don't work. After DISM complete successfully, restart PC before use of sfc /scannow.

4. mechanicweb

mechanicweb MDL Member

Sep 1, 2011
  5. thessalonik

thessalonik MDL Senior Member

Apr 7, 2014
    Can someone explain what dism big line performs prior of sfc /scannow?

6. enotar

enotar MDL Junior Member

Nov 21, 2011
    #46 enotar, Mar 26, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
    I think Microsoft doesnt know we have this problems as they are releasing fix for other stuff and BTW still no fix from them on mail,contact and calendar.
    Incredible....

7. exxocet

exxocet MDL Novice

Sep 3, 2014
    They now very well, just they are so busy working on icons. Very important for OS functionality. That's room for improvement, icons are still not ugly enough.

8. Jackalito

Jackalito MDL Novice

Mar 21, 2015
    #48 Jackalito, Mar 28, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
    (OP)
    OK, guys, for those of you running into trouble while attempting the instructions of the OP. Try this and tell me if it helps:

1. Activate Hidden Administrator Account:
    (Run Command Prompt or PowerShell as Administrator and type: net user administrator /active:yes
    (Note: you can deactivate this account with the command: net user administrator /active:no)

2. Sign Out

3. You can now Sign In using the new Administrator Account

4. Now repeat these steps from the original instructions:
    4.1 dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth

4.2 dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth

This time this one should work without the WIM file from your source media installation.
    4.3 dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

5. sfc /scannow

I can't test this myself right now because I should perform yet another clean install of 10041 (and I think I did so like 5 times last week for other reasons :rolleyes:)

Share your results! ;)

Regards!

9. SNaRe

SNaRe MDL Senior Member

Apr 8, 2009
    If the method in the OP doesn't work for one, there may be only 2 reasons;

1. Open 'Windows Powershell' or 'Command Prompt' with Admin privileges (right click -> Run as Administrator)
    2. 4. I'm sure that 3.3 will give you an error stating that it could not perform the task. And now it's when the mounted ISO comes into play. Let's specify the file from the ISO so that we can fix it. Run the following command: (Notice that X must be the drive letter on which your system has mounted the ISO)

4.1 DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:X:\Sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess

10. Snuffy

Snuffy MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    I tested on 10041, and I was able to fix with info as stated below.

1. Activate Hidden Administrator Account:
    (Run Command Prompt or PowerShell as Administrator and type: net user administrator /active:yes
    (Note: you can deactivate this account with the command: net user administrator /active:no)

2. Sign Out ( I simply rebooted and since I was Admin to start with) - #3 actually was not needed.

3. You can now Sign In using the new Administrator Account

4. Now repeat these steps from the original instructions:

4.1 dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth

4.2 dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth

This time this one should work without the WIM file from your source media installation.
    4.3 dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

4.4 DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:X:\Sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess (might be needed)

5. sfc /scannow

I'm sure there will be some that even with THIS Method - will still have a corrupt install of v10041.

11. Jackalito

Jackalito MDL Novice

Mar 21, 2015
    SNaRe, some people are having issues with that part even though they have mounted the ISO and specified the right drive letter and so on. I've never had that problem, but someone else on Microsoft Forums found out about this and I wanted to share it with you. That's all.

Regards.

12. Soulfate

Soulfate MDL Member

Feb 14, 2011
    It "can" work sometimes, then fails after another try. It's not constant.

13. SNaRe

SNaRe MDL Senior Member

Apr 8, 2009
    #53 SNaRe, Mar 29, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
    Do you think that we should run this regularly like every month?
    Now I installed several big software ( Inventor, Autocad, Photoshop , Corel ), which are pretty big software and will give another try.

Can anybody make it a bash BAT script that only get the driver letter as input from us?

14. WildByDesign

WildByDesign MDL Addicted

Sep 8, 2013
    This is what I have experienced as well. I believe I had only had two successful attempts out of approximately ten tries. I wish we knew what was interrupting this or what is causing this to fail, but the reality is that it seems to be quite random. No consistency between different users, different machines, different installs, etc. It's been this way throughout all of this Tech Preview builds for Windows 10. Although I am hopeful that it will be resolved by RTM.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. Soulfate

Soulfate MDL Member

Feb 14, 2011
    #55 Soulfate, Mar 29, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
    I believe that a /restorehealth could work with an identical source (from WIM or ESD) because it's exactly same files that are involved in the process of restoration. It's like I said "please repair this broken file basing yourself on another strictly identical broken file". It will work ! But that doesn't fix any problem: original commands or files are still broken because there are build as it (even from the WIM or ESD).
    It's not objective and we have to verify this theory.

It's also possible that Microsoft doesn't update its tools and that why they fail with these new builds. It could be fixed with Public releases and for sure for the RTM !

16. Jackalito

Jackalito MDL Novice

Mar 21, 2015
    I think that once should be enough, since when I have used sfc after the first run, it states that no files need fixing.

I agree with you on this. Unfortunately, Microsoft is failing when it comes to this kind of communication. What it really gets into my nerves though, are all those Microsoft "engineers" on the official Insiders forum suggesting people to boot into safemode in order to fix whatever problem they may encounter, given the fact that safemode is still broken on Windows 10 TP :g:

17. SNaRe

SNaRe MDL Senior Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Have you checked if this has been fixed in the 10049?

18. 2happy

2happy MDL Novice

Nov 4, 2012
    Just ran sfc/scanow in 10049 and it worked fine - says it fixed some corrupt files !

19. SNaRe

SNaRe MDL Senior Member

Apr 8, 2009
    #59 SNaRe, Mar 31, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    It worked but I got this prompt. I upgraded from 10041.

Code:
    Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. 
    Code:
    Windows PowerShell
    Copyright (C) 2015 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan.  This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
    Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some
    of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For
    example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not
    supported in offline servicing scenarios.
    PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>

I checked log file it is 41182 lines long, which I cannot waste my time.
    If there is a way to just see failed package.

Maybe upgrade is not the best way to do it. Clean install is more secure.

20. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    #60 endbase, Mar 31, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017