How to make Windows 32-Bit software address more than 4GB or memory

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by Palladin, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Palladin

Palladin MDL Senior Member

Feb 1, 2014
  2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    The problem is the Kernel of the specific version of Windows. Those patch was working well with Windows 7 to a sudden stage! Depend on the Updates installed, it would stopping working at some point.

There is an way for to create a new Patch file with your actual Kernel but the would need to edit the Kernel file in Hex! I had done such several times a few years ago, never was try on Windows 8/8.1 because of the move to 64bit.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013
    Even if this works reliably, aren't all 32 bit programs still limited to addressing no more than 2GB?

4. Aemsa

Aemsa MDL Member

Feb 17, 2014
    Or go 64bit and save yourself tons of problems. At this date, 64bit OS and drivers are more common and are better coded / optimized, leave x86 where it belongs...10 years behind.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    True! But: if someone still need to use some of the old 16bit applications, as I was need till 2 years ago, there's no way to go for 64bit!

It's just all about what you need to run on your machine!

Also, some users still using old hardware but like to have the latest Windows OS running! Those old hardware may support's 64bit but fully and may would run much better with 32bit OS!

6. Palladin

Feb 1, 2014
  7. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    #7 Flipp3r, Apr 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  8. Palladin

Feb 1, 2014
    #8 Palladin, Apr 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
  9. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    The nasty part is that this patch is not working with Intel CPU i series, because of integrated video.

10. Palladin

Feb 1, 2014
    I can't comment on that one way or the other, since I'm not running the latest and greatest. Just an old Quad Core Duo.

But I do have Intel Integrated Graphics, though.

device-manager.jpg

11. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    On my laptop with i5 it gives me BSOD.

12. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Integrated to the board, but not into the CPU in case of a Core 2 Duo/Quad :cool2:. Feature was introduced with Core iX series.

13. Palladin

Feb 1, 2014
    #13 Palladin, Apr 4, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
    (OP)
    Fooey, sorry to hear that. I wonder if it's the processor or your particular setup. But it's funny you should mention that you have an i5. Last December I ordered a Dell i5 with 8GB of ram fully expecting to migrate my old Dell to a newer one. It arrived, and when I went to transfer the ownership, Dell said they didn't have any record of the service tag number. :( That meant I couldn't register it, or transfer ownership, or get Dell software for that model. Something didn't seem right about Dell not having a record of the service tag, so I sent it back.

At the time the current Dell came pre-installed with Vista 32-Bit and I had no complaints. But I wanted to upgraded to 64-Bit version to take advantage of the 8GB of ram, but to be honest I didn't notice a big improvement in performance. Sure it was snappier but not that much. The one thing that I did notice was that many of my old programs didn't work with the 64Bit version. FireFox doesn't have a 64-bit version, (I guess they do now) Flash didn't work, and I had to find a version that did. The Sound Drivers didn't work, and I had to hunt them down. And what's with the Program Files (x86) directory. Who came up with that Kludge. This was way more than I had bargained for.

It was a 3rd Generation i5 so to get any real performance boot, I'd have to go to a 4th Generation i5, or i7. Both cost way more than I was willing to spend. What I did was to just get and additional 4GB of ram and hope that somehow I could get Vista, or as it turns out Windows 7 to take advantage of it.

I figured it might be time see if Windows 7 made any difference, and after some research I landed over on HeiDoc.net and then found my way over at My Digital Life, and ultimately the forums here on MDL. Here I learned about the Daz's Windows Loader, and many more tips and tricks which is why I kept looking for that elusive solution that I ultimately found.

FWIW, when I first tired to install PatchPae2 it didn't work. After going back and reading my notes, and RTFM I realized that I might have made a mistake. :rolleyes: To uninstall PatchPae the instructions called to remove some files. As commented above, I noticed they weren't there. The reason is one of them was for Windows 8 installation, so of course it wouldn't be there, duh, but the other on was for the Windows 7 installation. It should be there because the program copies the original and alters the copy. Sure enough when I went back and methodically went through the installation one step at a time it was successful.

When you uninstalled it, were all the files there that were supposed to be there. If not, maybe you skipped one of the steps as I did originally.

I'd like to see if other people report that PatchPae doesn't work with the i3/i5/i7 generation of processors, but thankfully it does work with the old clapped out Dell Quad Core processor I have, and intend to keep it for quite a while. If for no other reason to point out that it's Windows 7, 32-Bit running with 6GB of ram. Take that Mr. Bill.

14. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    As s1ave77 pointed out, your Intel GMA is onboard not integrated into the processor, as it is in the Intel i series processor.
    I'd love to use patchpae on my 3rd generation i5, but as I said, it gives me a BSOD. Tried it on a fresh Win7 SP1 Ultimate install without installing any drivers or any software, but still, no avail. So, I had to go to Win7 SP1 x64. Anyway, now it's not such a big deal for me 'cause I've bought a porable 1 TB HDD, so I have plenty of space to play with.

15. Palladin

Feb 1, 2014
    Well I guess we have to wait for PatchPae3 to address the problem with the integrated graphics on the processor. I'll bet it was a sneaky way for Microsoft/Intel to disable this option once and for all.

Too bad. :(

Maybe I'll upgrade to Windows 12 when it comes out.

16. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
  17. ismethere

ismethere MDL Senior Member

Apr 7, 2014
    it's work fine here..:)

18. jesap1976

jesap1976 MDL Novice

Jul 25, 2014
    Not working on my lenovo pc

Hi Pal,

I have a Lenovo C240 Series All-in-One pc. I installed a 4gb RAM but got 936 usable only. I've been trying to set-up the PatchPae for almost 5 hrs now, but I always got a system repair. In other words, PatchPae doesn't work in my computer. I followed every step on installing the patch. Got no error. Everything was followed. Can you possibly help me? Thank you so much.

Jes

19. Palladin

Feb 1, 2014
    As has been stated in previous posts you cannot use PatchPAE with the newer Intel i3/i5/i7 chips. Intel has integrated the graphics onto the chip, and that prevents PatchPAE from working.

You didn't say which Operating System you were trying to install, but in the readme there are two steps that are different for Windows 7 or 8. You need to take care to be sure that you pay attention to which is which.

If you are using the 64 bit version of Windows 7 or 8, you don't need PatchPAE. It is only for the 32 Bit systems

Something else is wrong, in that you can only see 938GB of ram. You should see at least 3.2GB if you are using a 32 Bit OS, the entire 4GB if you are using a 64 Bit OS.

Practically speaking if you are using a 32 Bit operating system, and only have 4GB of memory installed, the benefits from the 800MB of ram that PatchPAE provides, will be minimal. If however you intend to install more ram, the PatchPAE will be worth installing.

I would first uninstall PatchPAE. The instructions are in the Readme. It doesn't alter any system files, so the un-install will return you to your original installation. Then check how much memory Windows says is available. If it's still only 936GB of ram then it's something other than PatchPAE.

If that's the case you need to solve that problem first before you attempt to install PatchPAE again.

Good luck.

20. Wazoo

Wazoo MDL Addicted

Nov 5, 2013
    #20 Wazoo, Jul 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2014