How to maximize life of an SSD

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by x86, Mar 8, 2018.

1. nosirrahx

nosirrahx MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2017
    Nope, I do the opposite, just buy a larger drive than I need.

2. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #24 Joe C, Mar 11, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. punder

punder MDL Novice

Mar 12, 2018
    SSDs are more reliable than hard disks, and should last a good 20 years at least not counting performance degradation

5. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    ha ha ha i seriously doubt that...this is a business if they design a ssd that last 20 years manufactures would go out of business.

6. nosirrahx

nosirrahx MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2017
    Why, do you know how SSDs work and how the lack of physical moving parts is by its very nature more reliable than a HDD could ever be?

You are forgetting that we are currently in the age of rapid capacity and speed advancements.

SATA 150 -> SATA 300 -> SATA 600 -> NVMe Gen3X4 all happened very quickly all the while SSD capacity went from under 256GB to 4TB.

In 2 years we will have 8TB NVMe SSDs that work on a Gen4X4 interface. Its like a graphics card. It would not matter if they lasted 100 years, you are buying a new one in 2.

7. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    #29 MS_User, Mar 14, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    Its all business in the end dude $$$$ remember that... SSD life cycle are about the same as a mechanical drive.

8. nosirrahx

nosirrahx MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2017
    2 seconds on google:

"One universally accepted metric for measuring SSD reliability is known as an “annual failure rate.” Exhaustive studies have shown that SSDs have an annual failure rate of tenths of one percent, while the AFRs for HDDs can run as high as 4 to 6 percent."

9. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Outdated controller?
    Do you know what Over Provisioning is???

10. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    #33 x86, Mar 14, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    (OP)
    In the meantime, I created a USB boot disk (for secure erase) using the latest Magician (5.2). It booted OK, but it says the SSD is in a frozen state (and it asks to disconnect/connect the SSD so that it will resume...) And from what I looked, many had this issue. Is there a way around it? (without having to disconnect the drive physically I mean)

SSD is on SATA0
    HDD is on SATA1

I ll give it go, disabling the HDD (from BIOS), but I really doubt that will earn me what I need.

11. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
    Hello @x86 - Try using Parted Magic. It's available as part of Hiren's Boot CD. I've used it on my Crucial M500 with no problems. The Secure Erase feature will automatically put the machine into sleep mode. Give it a few seconds and then resume the machine. This takes care of the problem with the SSD being in a frozen state. Remember two things: a.) Use the option "Internal - ATA Secure Erase" - it's the last option on the list and uses the SSD's firmware instead of simply writing zeroes to the disk. b.) DO NOT set a password for the SSD. Leave it set to the default - "NULL".

12. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    the bottom line is the differences between SSD and HDD is performance thats all dont buy into the sells propaganda....i see ssd go bad all the time specially if your doing constant erasing and formatting...like lets say your in the insider program and your constantly installing and testing new OS. but hey u want to believe a SSD will last u 20 years, yes maybe if u never use it . besides who uses the same comp for 20 years:rolleyes:

13. nosirrahx

nosirrahx MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2017
    So, every single research site is in on a conspiracy equally? Google image search -> SSD VS HDD reliability

Am I in on it as well? I mean, I'd love to get some free SSDs if that is on the table.

14. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    I did come across several recommendations regarding Parted Magic. But I d prefer to go with Samsung's 'in-house' tool for the job. I m a bit paranoid about such tools and I don't wanna go zero-ing the entire SSD (as we. as end users, can't possibly be 100% certain on a tools behaviour on a given particular drive...)

On the other hand, it seems not ideal that I d have to physically disconnect the SSD for simply performing such a task. I can tell that majority of users experience this sort of behaviour whilst attempting to SE their SSD.
    But there has to do something that can be tinkled from within the BIOS (AHCI is enabled btw..)
    e.g. I have another HDD plugged as SATA1 (the SSD is SATA0). Maybe that 'freezing' has something to do with the connectivity? Or perhaps maybe with the boot method - the USB stick I created boots only if I enable CSM in UEFI.

All in all, I m trying to figure out what causes an SSD to go in a 'frozen state'. And that SSD that otherwise works with no issues (because I hear people unable to unfreeze their SSDs...)

15. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    If you go to the OEM's web site, they provide a solution for their frozen ssd's and 99% of the time it is a simple fix

16. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    samy.jpg

That's not what you d call a nice workaround/fix - but if there was another way - I m sure they would have shared with the customers.

17. Vincent the Tortoise

Mar 4, 2018
    I've been debating whether to get an SSD. I prefer HDDs simply because I don't have to worry about the system lagging on me even if I somehow managed to fill it up with useless files. I've heard that SSDs should maintain at least 30% free space to let it run smoothly.