How to Modify Your Own Bios Using AMI Mod Tool and Award Mod Tool

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by Busykid508, Jul 29, 2009.

1. joebloggs1881

joebloggs1881 MDL Expert

Jun 15, 2007
    #861 joebloggs1881, Jan 8, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. cpamal

cpamal MDL Novice

Feb 1, 2010
    asus certificate

I have modified my ami bios( version2102) for board asus p5q pro with AMI tool with slic2.1 and I have downloaded asus.xrm.ms certificate and when I check this certificate with the tool It tellasus.bin does not match certificate.Is there another asus certificate.Thank's for help

3. beamslider

beamslider MDL Senior Member

Feb 1, 2010
    yes, download the certificates in the Windows 7 Guide. There are two Asus ones in the pack. The asus-new one works for Windows 7

4. lange2000

lange2000 MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    Hello! Sorry for my bad English!

I have a Asus P5Q-E with Bios 2001 und now i Mod it with the AMI-Tool. All works fine.

As Cert i use _ASUS_-E1948081.XRM-MS. As Slic i use the Asus.bin from the Tool. Should i better take the _ASUS_[Notebook_MSFT]2.1-AF40CF7A.BIN?

Because after Restart Win 7 show that i use the false key and cannot be activatet. Slic Dump Toolkit show that i have Asus Notebook Slic2.1
    Befor i Flash my Bios i deinstall my Loader 1.6d.

OS Win 7 Ultimate x64

Please help! What i made wrong?

EDIT: Now i first install the loader Win 7 is Activatet. After that i deinstall the loader and the Asus Branding. After Restart System show that i am Activatet. But i don't know if it comes from The BIOS Mod. or remains of the Loader?

5. f47h3r

f47h3r MDL Novice

Jan 31, 2010
    I moded the latest Award Bios file for the foxconn 45CM-S MOBO, everything went smoothly and without a problem, thanks for your tutorial, i'm 100% grateful and to tell you that windows 7 did activate without a problem as well, this little new experience just blew my mind away, i took the step by step on how to mod it, and here i am glad and posting it from the same box after 3 minutes i've finished the process.
    Added ASUS SLI21 and SLP+certificate, everything working 100% stable.
    Thanks

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Safiyas

Safiyas MDL Novice

Feb 22, 2010
    Howdy! I recently have been trying to activate my Windows 7 copy, Build 7100, with my Asus P5QL Pro Motherboard/AMI 0803 BIOS. Everything went fine with the HP SLIC + SLP File, as well as the certificate, but when I press "Go", I get an error saying this:

"Error 5 - Argument cannot be Nothing
    Parameter name:file"

And when I first found my BIOS, I got another error that said:

"Arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow."

Could anyone explain why or what might be causing this? I'm not too great with computers but I feel like I've gotten so close to activating this thing. Thank you!

7. NoJuan999

NoJuan999 Experienced SLIC Tool Operator

Jul 31, 2009
  8. arryo

arryo MDL Novice

Aug 9, 2009
    I successfully modified my bios and activate windows 7 for several months using this guide. But after the last windows update, it said my windows is not genuine anymore and I can't use Opa tools no more. Did I miss something here?

Thank you

9. nutsergeakung

nutsergeakung MDL Novice

Mar 5, 2010
    Thanks good idea

10. markoco

markoco MDL Member

Feb 24, 2010
    Napa Award Bios Modding ?

I tried to use AWARD SLIC Mod 1.34 with a Napa Award bios it fails reading it
    what tool should i use to mod this bios ??:eek:

11. maxxx121

maxxx121 MDL Novice

Dec 19, 2009
    hello

please nay one can solve my issue
    now i got it this tool modifies the original .bin or .rom file of the bios given by the manufacturers

but now my question after using this tool my .bin file was modifies and a new one was created,but along with it some more .bin files and a folder called as dump was created on my desktop,are they useless and i only need the bios file which i get notified by the tool when modification to the bin file completed

please reply gurus
    thanks

12. Ccyd

Ccyd MDL Member

Aug 23, 2009
    Question on ami tool 150

Question on ami tool 150. I have a Msi ms-171f notebook. I am working on latest bios (A171FIMS.111). When I execute program it tells me I have a SLIC 2.0 table msi_nbmegabook inserted in the F0 module already. I allowed mod. I then used MSI slic file. I click on verify and get main Bios checksum correct. Now which slip should I use ? I do not see anything for msi. Also which certificate. I have win 7 64 bit ultimate install with Daz loader. Thank in advance. :)

13. bitbanger

bitbanger MDL Novice

Apr 1, 2010
    Correction to METHOD instructions (Step 14) for MSI (and other?) Award BIOS

---Quote from the second highlight box for Step 14 (METHOD)---

For those who have an ECS AWARD Bios, EVGA AWARD Bios, MSI AWARD BIOS (NOT MSI AMI) and for those who have an AWARD Bios by HP or COMPAQ, use the ISA method to modify the bios. The Award Mod Tool defaults to 0+2 but ECS AWARD BIOS, EVGA AWARD BIOS, MSI AWARD BIOS, and AWARD Bios by HP or COMPAQ already have a SLIC inserted in the ACPITBL. The 0+2 method only adds a second SLIC and could cause problems with the computer or activation of windows. ISA will replace the OLD SLIC with the NEW SLIC.

---Endquote---

Unfortunately it isn't that simple.

Counterexample: MSI MS-7142 (K8MM-V) Award BIOS v 1.A (latest) does NOT have a SLIC in the ACPITBL. Using method ISA is incorrect and produces a BIOS in which no SLIC is found (by RW-Everything, SLIC Toolkit, and Win 7). I had to use method 0+2, which worked fine.

There are probably other older Award BIOSes that are SLIC-less as well and require method 0+2.

I found two MS-7142 BIOSes in these forums, both of which used method ISA. Neither of them worked. I think these BIOSes are made by well-meaning people who have no way to test them.

My recommendation is: (1) Don't assume that a premodified BIOS you find here has been tested and works. (2) Don't assume that some particular stock BIOS does or does not already have a SLIC. Instead, look for a SLIC entry in the actual ACPI table (the RSDT table, to be specific) of the stock BIOS using either RW-Everything or SLIC Toolkit. If the BIOS already has a SLIC, use method ISA. If it doesn't already have a SLIC... (method 0+2 worked for me, but YMMV).

Hope this helps.

14. Balch

Balch MDL Novice

May 14, 2010
    I need some help in understanding the process of modifying my bios. I went to the ASUS website and got a copy of a new file for my new motherboard, one that is an update to the one currently on my bios chip. Do I need to flash this new ROM file to my chip and then flash again after modifying it with SLIC2.1? Also, I made a training attempt at modifying the new bios ROM file with AMItool1.51 and everything seemed intuitive except that I get nothing in the "certificate" box, If I click on the "verify" button to the right of the "certificate" box it takes me to the AMItool folder with SLIC, SLIC21, and SLP folders shown, but no XRM-MS file shown. Where do I locate the XRM-MS file so that something is shown in the "certificate" box? I went ahead and clicked "go" anyway and the AMItool said it was a success, but I'm skeptical because there is still nothing showing in the "certificate" box. I appreciate any help that you can give me and I'm sorry if this isn't the right forum to ask this question.
    Thanks,

Balch

15. Tomzi

Tomzi MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2009
    I'm not an expert on this but after modding a few of BIOSes I think I may be able to give a few pointers:

1. You can find lots of certificates together with corresponding SLIC 2.1 files in the thread " Win 7 & Server 08 R2 SLIC 2.1 Bin Collection" (6th sticky in BIOS Mods forum). Sorry can't post link due to low post count.

Verifying a certificate file with AMI/AwardTool is not absolutely necessary as these certificates (should) have been tested to be valid for the corresponding SLIC files but it doesn't hurt.

2. Regarding double flashing, as far as I understood what I read in an other thread (can't find it now) it's advisable to first flash with the unmodified BIOS and then the modified one in order to reduce the possibility of errors. For me it makes especially sense when your current BIOS version is different than what you're intending to flash to.

16. Tomzi

Tomzi MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2009
    Oh, and I wanted to thank for the invaluable instructions in the first post.