How to permanently add SLIC in (newer) ASUS UEFI

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by Tito, Jan 10, 2012.

1. TigTex

TigTex MDL Senior Member

Oct 5, 2009
    How did you mod the bios?

If you wrote something on the SPI ROM, the only way to remove it is to erase the bits that you wrote because that's not updated when you flash a newer bios.

2. cmatte

cmatte MDL Novice

Sep 16, 2008
    Stuck here - might be missing something?
    HWID matches on v1809 x64, SLIC reports correct 2.1 matched cert installed by slmgr -ilc . Not activating, though. Ideas? Just using wrong product keys maybe?

3. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Windows 10 cannot be activated by SLIC. HWID is something completely different, you use the default RETAIL key for your Edition and activate online.

4. cmatte

cmatte MDL Novice

Sep 16, 2008
    Thanks. So, let me check if I understand that :)
    1. no BIOS SLIC works in Win10 so even OEM don't use that anymore? Or do they use a higher version like 4.0 that can't be replicated?
    2. HWID - what is this id, then? What does online activation do? Are retail keys unique for OEM?
    3. Only chance is then VL versions right?

Any explanatory material is very welcome here, I failed to locate it, it seems :)

5. Carlos Detweiller

Dec 21, 2012
    1. OEMs use OA3.0 (OEM:DM) for consumer OS since Windows 8, where every machine has an individual product key embedded into its firmware (MSDM table in BIOS or UEFI). Loader worked because the OEM:SLP keys were generic and thus could be shared. Well, not anymore. For that reason. there will never be a Loader for any OS beyond Windows 7... with one exception. The Server OS still use OEM:SLP, Server 2019 would be using SLIC 2.5, most probably. Loader has limited support for Servers.

2. HWID is simply a hash of your machine's hardware. A fingerprint, if you want to call it like that. The HWID is stored on MS' servers and allows activating the machine without any individual key, as long as the hardware doesn't change significantly. Contrary to OEM:SLP, it is an online activation mechanism.
    OEMs do not use Retail keys. The default Retail key just tells the OS to search for a HWID and activate using that. Nearly all OEM systems are MSDM, now.

3. KMS Client keys (gVLKs) are about the only keys now that are both generic and activate fully offline against a local KMS server. It's either HWID or KMS, now.

Reading:

Explanation on how to create a HWID that activates the machine without needing a key: https://forums.mydigitallife.net/th...g-through-the-complete-upgrade-process.64770/
    As the free upgrade from 7/8 still works, you can establish a HWID by follwing the topic instructions.

OA2.2 and OA3.0 explanation: https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/windows-8-preinstalled-licenses-aka-oa2-2-and-oa3-0.34580/

KMS tools: https://forums.mydigitallife.net/forums/kms-tools.51/

6. Carlos Detweiller

Dec 21, 2012
    #188 Carlos Detweiller, Nov 26, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
    (Dummy) MSOA: See @Tito answer below.

7. frach

frach MDL Novice

Nov 11, 2018
    #189 frach, Nov 26, 2018
    thank you very much for this explanation.
    can you tell me now how can we know if bios has MSOA/DummyMSOA module ?

8. tommy_vercetti

tommy_vercetti MDL Member

Apr 3, 2008
    #190 tommy_vercetti, Nov 26, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Open the firmware dump or bios update by MMTool.

@tommy_vercetti

Two things are slightly different.

@Carlos Detweiller

(Dummy)MSOA module is only used for generating SLIC thus applicable for OEM activation 2.x.

10. Carlos Detweiller

Dec 21, 2012
    #192 Carlos Detweiller, Nov 27, 2018
    Maybe you shouldn't openly post your OEM꞉DM key here?

I removed my wrong information.

11. frach

frach MDL Novice

Nov 11, 2018
    okay and after that ?
    is there any information that shows that the specific bios contains MSOA/DummyMSOA after you open it with MMTool ?

12. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  13. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  14. Serg008

Serg008 MDL BIOS/EFI Guru

Feb 23, 2010
    3603 & 3801 (beta) bios done here
    (Phoenixtool's Readme.pdf )

15. emfi2r

emfi2r MDL Novice

Sep 10, 2007
    #198 emfi2r, May 3, 2021
    Last edited: May 3, 2021
    Thanks for the quick replies! :)

I noticed that one of you (I forget who) added SLIC 2.1 to the "X50-PLUS" BIOS using the Phoenix Tool instead of the AMI Tool, so I figured it would also work for the "X57-PLUS (WIFI)". I believe the BIOS files are specific for the different Asus X570 motherboards; X570-PLUS, X570-PLUS (WIFI), X570-PRO, etc.

-----> Do I need the AO3.txt (or AO30.txt) file for Phoenix Tool? For my test I used key.txt or key2.tx that came with Phoenix tool.

I ran a test with the Phoenix Tool (which I already had) on the new X570 BIOS, only selecting an SLIC 2.1 binary to add, I didn't add SLP because he's not installing XP.

I didn't use a rw-everything file because my son has the X570, so I haven't made a rw-everything file yet.

I tested the X570 BIOS with AMI Tools and Phoenix Tools on my PC. I just wanted to work out the methods, without actually flashing the file yet.

I must have used Phoenix Tools on the older B350, because AMI Tool won't open the BIOS file (File too large error).

For some reason the previous desktop motherboard I added SLIC 2.1 to says it's a Asus Laptop, though Crystal DMI and other software says "BaseBoard Manufacturer" is "ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC."

I can't find the file of my modded B350 BIOS on any of my HDDs, but I probably have it on a cdrom somewhere as a backup.

I need to find out how to back up the installed BIOS on both of my motherboards now. I can't get Universal backup to run.
    I remember Winflash years ago could do it. Of course, I back then I was able to pull the chip from the socket and read it with my EEPROM programmer. I need to see about using serial programming, since there is a header on the MB for that.

I'd rather not use the Dell binary.

Also is there a different desktop binary or xml file for AsusTek desktops, or is it just a by-product of the certificate check in the different software like Crystal DMI?

I'm way-more familiar with the old OEM SLP for Award BIOS using the DOS boot disk with DMICFG, or intel's old software.

I will see if I can read the fixed guide links so I can better understand what to do.

Thanks again!

16. Aty

Aty MDL Member

Oct 18, 2013
    I want to know if there is a method for non-UEFI permanent SLIC?
    There is an ASUS brand computer at hand due to the use of AFUDOS to update the BIOS, resulting in permanent SLIC loss.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  17. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    @Aty

Can you please mention the exact model number of the PC and/or the motherboard?