How to permanently add SLIC in (newer) ASUS UEFI

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by Tito, Jan 10, 2012.

1. rubik

rubik MDL Novice

Apr 30, 2009
    Just to confirm, ROM #2 posted above flashes and activates correctly, as expected.

I can't post it in the other thread in case anyone else needs it but it should show up on search results through this thread anyway.

Thanks again for all the help with this.

2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  3. mcbyte

mcbyte MDL Junior Member

Jul 26, 2009
    Nice explaination Yen for the Dynamic method, but I still don't understand the new DMI method for Asus motherboards. From what I understand this is what is needed:

1- Flash the new stock bios.
    2- Back it up with the Bios backup tool
    3- Patch it with the phoenix tool using permanent method
    4- Reflash using the BUPDATER from dos.
    5- Done

and after this patched flash you can use stock bios without patching again?

where does the SLIC table gets saved?

I once did a SLIC insertion on an intel Atom motherboard without bios flashing, just injection of the SLIC using some intel provided management tools and it works, is this similar?

4. evilernie

evilernie MDL Novice

May 5, 2007
    Hello, is this for all Asus EFIs or only for P8/P9?

Because the Asus Eee PC 1215B has a EFI Bios. Can I use there the same without RW?

5. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  6. evilernie

evilernie MDL Novice

May 5, 2007
    is it right? First flash the original Bios an then backup it up to mod it or can I mod the downloaded bios from asus?

7. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Yap... mod the backup bios ;)

8. evilernie

evilernie MDL Novice

May 5, 2007
    I haven't found a answer why? Can you explain it? Why not take the bios from the asus site, why only the backup bios???

9. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Thanks for making this sticky..... :worthy:

10. Em1nenceFr0nt

Em1nenceFr0nt MDL Novice

Mar 21, 2010
    @EvilErnie. Are you asking about a desktop MoBo, or the specific thread on Asus eeePC 1215b ?

There are specific issues with the eeePC which prevent a universal "download xxx version of bios and mod it, then flash". Has to do with regionality, and other peculiarities unlike desktop boards.

So, in order to SLIC that particular machine, you'll need the OG Bios off the actual machine, to Mod, and then re-flash back.

So you may need to clarify which situation you're asking about.

11. evilernie

evilernie MDL Novice

May 5, 2007
    here for the P8 Asus boards...why canĀ“t I mod the bios from the webside?

When I flash the original bios I can make a RW File and mod the bios with the RW File...
    I can't see the advantage with this new methode?

12. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    If you use bios update from ASUS site, then you can use only Dynamic method which is not permanent method. Using DMI method with backup bios will give you permanent mod. :)

13. evilernie

evilernie MDL Novice

May 5, 2007
    okay...

1. Download bios
    2. flash bios
    3. backup bios
    4. mod with DMI
    5. reflash

=> permanent mod...

Next time only the original bios from the webside...and the board is still modded...right...

14. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Right... thats the way ;)

15. evilernie

evilernie MDL Novice

May 5, 2007
    only Asus. What is with Asrock (asus)?

Or other producer (MSI, Gigabyte...). Can I use there DMI too or only asus?

16. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    As far I know, this method only works in ASUS boards. akcent or andyp may elaborate this topic.... :)

17. slimd

slimd MDL Novice

Jun 29, 2010
    Just double checking here as I want to add a SLIC to my ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3 mobo...
    Previous posts seem to suggest that the Permanent method availability differs between eeePC and ASUS desktop mobos. I have found pre-modded BIOS done with the DMI method for my mobo, but you are saying that such pre-made mods can not be used?

I really want to use a permanent method so I don't have to mod each new BIOS update. To that end, to make sure I don't mess up when I get around to adding the SLIC - I don't want to end up with a bricked mobo or corrupted BIOS:
    * Does the Universal BIOS Backup Toolkit back up EFI properly from this motherboard?
    * The DMI method walkthrough links specifically to PhoenixTool v1.94, but I should always use the latest version, right?
    * The DMI method walkthrough links to some tool called "dos flash", but this thread mentions ASUS BUpdater. I guess the official tool is the most reliable?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  18. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    1. Yah... the toolkit is able to properly backup the efi for the ASUS mobos :)

2. Yah... always the latest version...

3. Actually. you should flash from DOS with BUPDATER, which is the official bios updation tool by ASUS ;)

4. One's DMI modded bios can't be used for others :(. You must backup your own bios & then reflash it after modding ;)

19. stasio

stasio MDL Expert

May 3, 2007