How to recover a dead SD card?

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by varso, Jan 25, 2010.

1. sadatime

sadatime MDL Novice

Nov 18, 2010
    I had the same problem with a USB disk and just when I was about to give up upon it i found a great tool from HP,the tool name is HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool ,not sure if this will work for SD card,but give it a shot,it's a free tool:
    google it it's easy to find

2. floretTux

floretTux MDL Novice

Mar 24, 2013
    #22 floretTux, Mar 24, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
    Sorry to bump this 3 year old post, but this is the only case I've been able to find so far that has the same problem as me!
    SanDisk 16GB MicroSD Card being read as 30 MB, causing it to not be able to be formatted correctly I'm assuming. I'm almost certain that it is neither the card-reader nor the particular computer causing the problem, as I have switched computer as well as switched MicroSD's.
    I really hate to ask you all out of the blue for help like this, but I'm getting sort of desperate here. :(

Any tips, now that this is 3 years into the future?

EDIT: Also, I've read the rules and I'm not sure if this falls in line with: 1.6 No bumping of threads. If your question wasn't answered you may ask again after some time, but "bumping around" will not be tolerated.
    It's a bit vague.

3. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. floretTux

floretTux MDL Novice

Mar 24, 2013
    #24 floretTux, Mar 24, 2013
    Unfortunately the command prompt part still isn't working (the error message is in attached picture) :(
    I'll try the MBR part and report back after.
    Thanks for the response though!

Attached Files:

5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    #25 pisthai, Mar 24, 2013
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. floretTux

floretTux MDL Novice

Mar 24, 2013
    The mbr fix ended up with:
    The program rrohela ended with error Invalid media or Track 0 bad - disk.

And I don't quite know what to do with the EaseUS program :/ The micro SD shows up as having no partitions and nothing allocated. However, when I attempt to create a new partition it errors.

7. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    OK, question again: what's about the SD is locked or unlocked? Normally there's is a small switch which should be position TO the connector feed to be in unlocked position or AWAY from the connector feeds to be in locked position!

8. hobbes5215

hobbes5215 MDL Novice

Jun 14, 2009
    Try doing the procedure again, but use "clean all" instead of "clean".

9. alicepattinson

alicepattinson MDL Member

Jan 29, 2013
    Seems pretty good. I tried that Clean all and it worked. Thank you so much! :kicking:

10. tigrr

tigrr MDL Novice

May 16, 2011
    SD Formatter 3.1 for SD/SDHC/SDXC especially for SD cards

11. eciliarice

eciliarice MDL Novice

Jun 28, 2013
    I ever Download SD card recovery software from MyJad and recover lost or deleted files from SD Card easily. This tool is able to recover data like images, music and other files which are lost due to improper handling of SD cards or which got lost due virus attacks.