How to reduce BIOS boot time?

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by giri, Feb 14, 2011.

1. giri

giri MDL Novice

Feb 14, 2011
    I have a no-name ATOM 330 +nVidia ION motherboard with AMI BIOS 8. I have a fixed HW config that will NEVER change. How can I mod my BIOS to give me the absolute minimum BIOS Boot time? Most of the mods discussed here relate to SLIC and Logos, I need a < 5 sec boot time. I don't even need/want any BIOS messages, No VGA... nada. Just the absolute minimum to boot Win7. I can identify all my devices by VID/PID.

My problem is I'm not sure where to start. I can provide any info necessary just let me know.

Giri

2. Kouryu

Kouryu MDL Senior Member

Jan 19, 2011
    I bet you'll get even more annoyed when you use a system that takes 15 seconds before you even see the POST screen! :D
    Yes, it's true. My DFI lanparty board does this... it will just look like it's in a reboot loop for 15 seconds before anything happens... I hear "thump thump thump" from the speakers each time it reinits, and the optical drives go "clunk, clunk, clunk" every time they reinit too

I feel your pain... it is so annoying and I hate rebooting because of this
    I couldn't figure out how to fix this either :(

3. athanato

athanato MDL Member

Aug 30, 2009
    The BIOS might have an option called diagnostic, etc.. with a value of quick/full or Quick boot enabled/disabled, I assume you have looked and tried?

4. giri

giri MDL Novice

Feb 14, 2011
    athanato,

All options suggested in this forum have been set - fixed HDD params, Quick boot, No POST messages, skip memtest etc. What I really need is some help in removing unnecessary code from the BIOS. I have already disassembled my BIOS using IDA Pro and made very minimal headway. What I am looking for is something like ASRock's Instant Boot. My motherboard and the ASRock MB share almost all components. Is it possible to flash an AMI BIOS for 1 MB into another that's 99% like it? I have an MPC7A based MB. Any tips or other in trying to get this working? I can share my ROM file and IDA Pro database.

Can anyone offer some insight?

Thanks.

Giri