How to reduce the installation image to burn in a 4.38 GB DVD

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by achernov, Jul 8, 2018.

Tags:
  1. EXO56

EXO56 MDL Member

Mar 22, 2013
    If you don't want to compress it to ESD, just burn it with PowerISO at low speed (used it many times to burn 4.37 GB files on a DVD-5 without issues)

2. Yogendra Anil Kahane

May 3, 2020
    #22 Yogendra Anil Kahane, May 3, 2020
    Last edited: May 12, 2020
    Hi,
    I faced the same problem with the fat32 multiboot Pendrive while making a bootable drive for windows 10. Because of the size of install.wim containing multiple versions of Windows 10 was greater than 4 Gb. So I decided to extract the only version I needed from install.wim and then use the iso.
    There is software available in windows 10 with CMD called DISM one can find details on Microsoft's website it can be used to extract the single version from install.wim.
    For that, you should extract the install.wim from iso file from folder ISO:\sources using Power iso software then put install.wim in c:/ windows /system32 folder.
    Run 1st command to get versions and their index in install.wim
    Dism /Get-WIMinfo /wimfile:install.wim
    Then extract the version to new install.wim

Dism /Export-Image /SourceImageFile:install.wim /SourceIndex:<index number you require> /DestinationImageFile:install2.wim

Now you have install2.wim get it and rename it to install.wim. Open power iso delete original install.wim from iso, put the new one in iso file at ISO:\sources using power iso software and done.
    And don't forget to remove the original extracted file to remove from c:/ windows /system32 folder it will just take your space.

3. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    The install.wim is not located in that folder, it's in "ISO:\Sources".... and when you replace install2.wim with install.esd and set compression to recovery, you will end up with an install.esd which is 30-33% smaller then the install.wim.

4. WindowsGeek

WindowsGeek MDL Expert

Jun 30, 2015
    U can burn to a dual layer dvd but their not cheap.

5. ceo54

ceo54 MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2015
    Off topic

I apologies for posting an off topic query but I wanted to know, can't we use the NTFS formatted USB's to install Windows 10 ?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Yes, it will only install when legacy bios is set, no uefi installs.

7. ceo54

ceo54 MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2015
    Thank you for the answer. Which brings me to another question, can we have a MBR table with UEFI boot and GPT with legacy BIOS, or is this association is strictly associated ?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    FAT32 formatted USB will be able to boot both, Legacy BIOS/MBR & UEFI/GPT, if that is what you meant.

9. AndyMutz

AndyMutz MDL Senior Member

Jun 30, 2011
    yes you can. I do it all the time.
    rufus and other tools can create an USB drive, formatted with NTFS, which can boot from UEFI.
    the tools inject a NTFS driver onto the USB drive, which gets loaded when you boot from it.
    but I think this only works with secure boot disabled (not sure about this).

-andy-