How To Remove "tap-windows adapter v9" ? PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by montythebrave, Jul 29, 2015.

1. montythebrave

montythebrave MDL Junior Member

Jul 18, 2015
    Hi Everyone,

I hope you can help me, I'm at my wits end with it.

I did a clean windows 10 installation after I upgraded from windows 8 and everything was fine apart from 1 thing, I noticed my internet sometimes hangs so I went into my network adapters and noticed there were lots of network adapters named tap-windows adapter v9.

Capture.PNG

I have absolutely no vpn software and have hardly anything installed, I have tried un-installing, disabling from device manager but they reappear when I restart the pc.

Here is what programs I have installed just in case you spot anything that may be causing this, FYI i already tried uninstalling bitdefender and it was still happening so its not this.

Capture.PNG

Please help :(

2. Kouryu

Kouryu MDL Senior Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Delete it from Device Manager
    if you can't, do it the hard way:

1. Right click on the Start button, click Command Prompt (Administrator)
    2. Type in "pnputil -e"
    3. A huge list of added drivers should show. Look for all TAP Adapter V9s listed. Publisher should say either OpenVPN or WatchGuard. Make note of the "oem**.inf" (where ** is a number)
    4. Type in "pnputil -f -d oem**.inf" (where ** is the number you should have noted earlier)

The drivers should be deleted. In rare cases it doesn't because the driver store catalog is corrupt. This will involve other work to delete the driver

3. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    We used to use "devcon.exe remove tap0901"
    might need to download devcon from somewhere if you can't figure it out.

4. Audiophile1178

Audiophile1178 MDL Novice

May 26, 2008
    Did you use the MS Toolkit from here?

I could be wrong as the search is disabled on this forum but I think I remember reading somewhere that if you install the toolkit from here it's not 100% compatible and will start creating multiple TAP adapters. The reply stated, I think it was from cody, to not use toolkit 2.5.3 and wait for a 100% compatible version to get released.

5. Kouryu

Kouryu MDL Senior Member

Jan 19, 2011
    They're not "recognized" by the system because the most common TAP driver out there is the older NDIS5 version, which is deprecated and no longer supported by Windows 8.1 and Windows 10. The ones that came out end of last year is NDIS6 and is compatible though, but you can pretty much only get them from OpenVPN as many software packages still pack the older version

6. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    That's an interesting theory, but it doesn't stand up to testing. Same driver installed via inf does nothing. Installed via setup program, works.

7. phrunt

phrunt MDL Addicted

May 1, 2007
    I use openvpn and have no issues, I have one TAP v9 adapter showing, vpn is working fine... no issues at all.