How to remove unwanted files or folders?

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by sayarthein@yahoo.com.sg, Jul 23, 2007.

1. sayarthein@yahoo.com.sg

Jun 15, 2007
    Please somebody tell me how to remove these files. Some files in my computer cant delete. I found that mostly on downloaded files and folders. They said it is being used by someone or programme.
    thanks for your opinion.

2. ancestor(v)

ancestor(v) Admin
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2007
    So there must be a program running, using these files. What kind of files are there?

Try to find a connection between the files and your software, maybe with using the task manager - bingo. Maybe it's enough if you delete some stuff from the auto startup.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. sayarthein@yahoo.com.sg

Jun 15, 2007
    They are downloaded movies, music files. i used utorrent to dl them.But some are not completed.so i try to clear them. HOw do i know that those folders and files are being used by another programme. And how to stop them.? Help me. thanks.

4. ancestor(v)

ancestor(v) Admin
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2007
    If you downloaded them in uTorrent it means they are in use by uTorrent :rolleyes:
    Just open the software, look in "History" (or "Temporary Files") or whatever and delete the unfinished downloads from there. I'm not used to uTorrent so I can't give you any advice in the software itself which means you have to look around a bit.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. sayarthein@yahoo.com.sg

Jun 15, 2007
    thanks ancestor(v)..
    Let me ask you some more.pls.I have removed utorrent already a few days ago. According to the software(utorrent) support , the dl files and folders are also use as application data in %AppData% .So i tried to reach but my problem again!! i cant find run.. button in start menu. I customised start menu to look for it but cant. i typed %AppData% in address bar. but error..stated/
    Access to appilication data.
    "C\: document and Setting\user name\Application Data has been disallowed."
    I'm using my computer as a administator account.Why i cant access?

CPU; Intel (R) pen (R) D 2.66Ghz
    Memory-503mb
    OS-Win xp pro (5.01.2600 sp2)

6. ancestor(v)

ancestor(v) Admin
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Download uTorrent again and install the same version in the same way, and use the old folders. Then delete the unwanted files and uninstall uTorrent properly ;) Especially the latter thing is really important.
    It is always good to use the uninstall routines provided if you do not want your system to be a total mess.